Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XM or Sirius

XM or Sirius

Ok, this has likely been hashed over before, but with the rapidly changing pace of technology I thought I'd ask the question again.

I traded in my Volvo V50 on a vechicle better suited to my needs and wonder of all wonders, it actually has an aux jack into the stereo. Loved the Volvo, hated the stereo with no earthy means to input an outside signal. Now inputing a static-free satalite radio signal will be a piece of cake. (FM transmitters are pure junk).

Anywho....which service is better?

How is the coverage? I travel mostly Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I know this sounds daft being that it's satalite, but my GPS unit sometimes gets a weak signal, especially when in the valley between bigger hills/smaller mountains.

Which has better programing? I can find music anywhere, but I'd want to be sure to get ESPN radio, and MLB baseball games during the summer months.

Do you have to pay extra for "premium" stuff like MLB ballgames, etc?

Any techinical issues to be warry of?

Lastly, which one is going to win the satalite radio war? Or is the technology to hear both at once right around the corner?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-16-2007 at 05:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: XM or Sirius

XM subscriptions include MLB games and Sirius subscriptions don't. That's why I've never had Sirius.

There is a merger between the two services in the works that may change the programming options. It should be clearer what that will mean by the time baseball season rolls around in 2008.

Avoid XM receivers with SureConnect. The FM modulators are much weaker. Buy a discontinued model (if you can find it) to avoid this.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Ok, this has likely been hashed over before, but with the rapidly changing pace of technology I thought I'd ask the question again.

I traded in my Volvo V50 on a vechicle better suited to my needs and wonder of all wonders, it actually has an aux jack into the stereo. Loved the Volvo, hated the stereo with no earthy means to input an outside signal. Now inputing a static-free satalite radio signal will be a piece of cake. (FM transmitters are pure junk).

Anywho....which service is better?

How is the coverage? I travel mostly Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I know this sounds daft being that it's satalite, but my GPS unit sometimes gets a weak signal, especially when in the valley between bigger hills/smaller mountains.

Which has better programing? I can find music anywhere, but I'd want to be sure to get ESPN radio, and MLB baseball games during the summer months.

Do you have to pay extra for "premium" stuff like MLB ballgames, etc?

Lastly, which one is going to win the satalite radio war? Or is the technology to hear both at once right around the corner?

Thanks in advance!
    To answer a few of your questions there is not an extra charge for MLB games. They are part of the subscription price with XM. If you want MLB you definetly want XM like Unassisted said they are the only ones that carry MLB. Even if the merger goes through XM will continue to carry MLB.

I really have never had a technial or coverage issue with my XM radios. XM411.com is a website that has a store where you can get some good deals on XM radios. Other than a lot of stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart carry them but this website has some of the best deals you will find and they ship really fast. You can also order from XMRADIO.com

Just make sure you get a unit with a car kit to plug into your car. You may want something like the Inno which is a portable unit that also lets you record XM programming.

As far as which of the services will survive it is kind of hard to tell what the effect will be in the merger does or does not go through. We should have an answer on that merge I believe by the end of the year. If the merger does go through supposedly they are working on radios to receive both services.

So hopefully that answers some questions if you have any more about XM let me know.

Thanks for the answers. If MLB is only on XM then it makes the decision much easier.

I'm thinking I might go with the Audiovox Xpress. It's inexpensive, but comes with a car mounting kit, extention antenna and remote control. That's pretty cool, because I'll likely mount the unit in some hidden away area to avoid attention and I'll need the antenna. The remote will be handy, I guess. It also has an aux out and in.

I'll likely get something (whatever I decide on) at Best Buy. I know I can save a lot of money elsewhere, but I can redeam some hotel bonus points to pay for the system.

With the exception of XM over Sirius, I've not really made up my mind however. This unit just caught my eye.

My husband and I have been XM subscribers for a few years now, and we have always been satisfied. My original XM radio bit the dust a couple of months back, so I replaced it with the Audiovox Xpress unit that you have pictured above. So far, I have no complaints. I did have an issue with the car cradle that I received being defective, but I was able to return it and get a replacement that works fine. You will most likely have to use the SureConnect wiring, so make sure that your vehicle has either the FM antenna built into your front or back window or an externally mounted antenna that is not retractible or has an unusual design. If that is the case, then you may have to use other connection methods in your car (such as hard wired to your car radio). If you want more details, I would suggest visiting www.xmfan.com Most of the users from xm411.com have moved on to that site now.

EDIT: After re-reading your original post, I understand now that you plan to use the aux input of your car radio....so, the SureConnect probably wouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by MrsHammer; 10-17-2007 at 01:36 PM.

I have Sirius, and can't wait if they do the merger. I would love to have both MLB and NFL on the same service. I got it mostly for Howard Stern though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I have Sirius, and can't wait if they do the merger. I would love to have both MLB and NFL on the same service. I got it mostly for Howard Stern though.
    Ditto...I bought Sirius just for Howard, but am really hoping for the merger for MLB. That would really make the monthly subscription worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Ditto...I bought Sirius just for Howard, but am really hoping for the merger for MLB. That would really make the monthly subscription worth while.
    Yep, me too RiC.

Sirius has all of the NFL games, lots of College Football, College Basketball, NBA, European Socccer, as well as Howard Stern, Maxim Radio...Been a subscriber for the past 2 years, would get it even if I switched cars...

Now when the merge and get baseball, I'd never listen to local radio again...

If anyone lives near a Meijer store, the ones in my area seem to have satellite radio devices on clearance.

http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I have had XM the last few years. I recently got a new truck and it came with 1 year free Sirius. XM is far and above Sirius as far as programming.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

XM is the better of the two---between me and the wife we have both---XM has a better lineup and a cleaner menu (bundling of like channels together)--the only thing I turn to Sirius for is Stern...

I haven't had Sirius, but the biggest complaint I hear from friends who have it is that Sirius has reception problems. I haven't had many problems with XM in that regard, and have even been able to pick up XM in covered parking decks, so long as the deck was open on the sides.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    If anyone lives near a Meijer store, the ones in my area seem to have satellite radio devices on clearance.

Yep finally took the plunge when I found a receiver for 20 bucks at Meijer, XM of course.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post

I've seen them clearanced at WalMart lately, too. It'd be a bad time to pay full price for a satellite radio. Dual-system models will be all the rage once the merger finishes jumping through regulatory hoops.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?