Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valaika in Hawaii

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Valaika in Hawaii

Long time lurker and a first time poster on this board.

I live in Hawaii. I haven't been to any of the Hawaii Winter Baseball games, but we get the boxscores in the local paper.

Here's a recent article on Valaika (it is in the second part of the article.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../1052/SPORTS07

Re: Valaika in Hawaii

Thanks for the article.

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    I live in Hawaii. I haven't been to any of the Hawaii Winter Baseball games, but we get the boxscores in the local paper.
    Well, considering there isn't anything to do in Hawaii...I can't believe you haven't been to a game yet.

Thanks for the update.

From the article:

"Now, we play the day game and get to go to the beach (later in the day) and take in what Hawai'i has to offer," said Valaika, who added he is learning to surf.
    Yipes! I wonder if his contract says anything about.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Yipes! I wonder if his contract says anything about.
    Surfing's pretty low impact. You can get knocked cold or scraped up, but you're not torquing your knees. If anything it'll keep you limber.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Valaika's also been moved to second base. According to the Reds, that's his best chance to get to the big leagues.

Valaika's also been moved to second base. According to the Reds, that's his best chance to get to the big leagues.
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out re: Justin Turner, also a 2B. I could see one of these two being included in a trade package.

I'd like to see Valaika and Turner play some outfield

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'd like to see Valaika and Turner play some outfield
    Me too. I think these MI types with decent bats and mediocre defense are better served to be groomed as supersub types.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Me too. I think these MI types with decent bats and mediocre defense are better served to be groomed as supersub types.
    See Griffin, Michael. He's even played some 1B in Hawaii this month (along with 3B, LF and RF -- and maybe some 2B).

Turner played some OF while in Billings in 06. I think he's played a very little at SS and 3B, too.

I'd keep Valaika at 2B for at least a year -- let him adapt to the position and see if he can rejuvenate the bat to where it was in Billings and Dayton. I wouldn't give up on him as a possible regular yet. Turner has always hit well, too, but if they feel Valaika is clearly the better prospect at 2B, giving Turner some versatility would be a good idea.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd keep Valaika at 2B for at least a year -- let him adapt to the position and see if he can rejuvenate the bat to where it was in Billings and Dayton. I wouldn't give up on him as a possible regular yet.
    Me neither. Particulars about defense are always sketchy with guys in the low minors, but the criticism I'd heard of Valaika only had to do with lacking the range for a big-league shortstop, not that he had bad range for a second baseman or that his hands or arm stunk.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Me neither. Particulars about defense are always sketchy with guys in the low minors, but the criticism I'd heard of Valaika only had to do with lacking the range for a big-league shortstop, not that he had bad range for a second baseman or that his hands or arm stunk.
    This is something that I have asked in the past, but never really felt like it was answered adequately. If the infield of a diamond symmetrical, then why does a shortstop require greater range than a second baseman? I might even argue that since the first baseman is often holding on the runner, a second baseman needs more range. Of course, a shortstop needs a stronger arm. I decided to look up the fielding numbers at www.espn.com and was actually surprised to learn that, using the team fielding numbers, the average second baseman has more total chances than the average shortstop. (SS has around 30 more assists, while 2b has almost 100 more putouts) So, once again, why does a shortstop need greater range than a second baseman?

Ya can't teach speed...

Excellent Question: I've often wondered that myself. I agree on the armstrength issue, but in terms of getting to the ball, I see little difference. Could this have to do with the % of right handed hitters vs left handed hitters as well as right handed pitchers vs left handed pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is something that I have asked in the past, but never really felt like it was answered adequately. If the infield of a diamond symmetrical, then why does a shortstop require greater range than a second baseman? I might even argue that since the first baseman is often holding on the runner, a second baseman needs more range. Of course, a shortstop needs a stronger arm. I decided to look up the fielding numbers at www.espn.com and was actually surprised to learn that, using the team fielding numbers, the average second baseman has more total chances than the average shortstop. (SS has around 30 more assists, while 2b has almost 100 more putouts) So, once again, why does a shortstop need greater range than a second baseman?

Maybe part of the reason the difference in assists is so small is because on almost every team, the shortstop has better range. If you were to switch the shortstop and second baseman on each team, perhaps the difference in assists from each respective position would be noticeably greater.

More RH hitters.

Shortstops also need to be able to reach the ball quicker than 2Bs because they've got a longer throw.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?