Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleveland's LH starter Cliff Lee, anyone?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Cliff Lee, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It may be brief, but it's fun.
    <rain on parade>
    It may be shorter than brief. These thoughts likely exist only in the minds of the posters here, not in the Reds front office.
    </rain on parade>

I'll be pleased if they actually go out and shore up the starting rotation and build a servicable bullpen. I'd be shocked if they' shore up CF and C while they were at it.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    <rain on parade>
    It may be shorter than brief. These thoughts likely exist only in the minds of the posters here, not in the Reds front office.
    </rain on parade>

I'll be pleased if they actually go out and shore up the starting rotation and build a servicable bullpen. I'd be shocked if they' shore up CF and C while they were at it.

GL
    I fully realize that we might be out on an imaginary limb, but in previous years we were stick in this awful place where no one even dared to dream the Reds might be a player for some top notch talent. I remember when the A's traded Hudson and Mulder and we all pretty well knew that the club wasn't going after those guys. We had some limited discussion about whether they should have a change of attitude, but that was the extent of it.

For the time being we can muse on "Maybe they will." Beats "Definitely they won't."
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I agree. For the first time in years, there appears to be an atmosphere of possibilities around the Reds. That gives fans hope and that is the necessary ingredient for the fans to have a little fun.

On Sabathia, you guys were knocking around Bailey and Hamilton or Bruce as bait for Santana. Hamilton is an amazing talent but there is too much risk going forward with him to deal a CY candidate for him. Let's say rougly Bailey/Bruce for Sabathia. Reds get their ace, Indians' fan turn irate for not getting back a major leaguer for their ace.

I never propose deals but this popped into mind: Bailey/Bruce/Griffey for Sabathia/Gutierrez/Dellucci and add B prospects as needed.

Money works out about the same. Reds get their ace, a RH strong defensive CF, and a backup for Hamilton in Dellucci (who also evens the salaries in the deal). Indians get more pop, less pitching and becomes the 1990's Indians which is likely not what they are aiming for. No doubt they want to keep Sabathia if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Let's say rougly Bailey/Bruce for Sabathia.
    I'm sure the Indians would ask, but I can't imagine the answer would be yes. The Reds aren't trading both of the their top 10 in baseball prospects. Nobody does that.

I imagine the Indians would want the big arm back, that would be Bailey. IMO that means forget about Bruce. It's fine to be greedy and ask, but it's a thoroughly unreasonable expectation. Beyond that, no one trades the minor league player of the year (of course no one much trades the Cy Young Award winner either, which is why I suspect Sabathia isn't going anywhere).
    Last edited by M2; 10-18-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Will they want to pay that for a guy who maybe will be their 5th starter? If that's the situation, I can see where they might want to cash him in for a prospect or add to the bench, particularly in the OF, which has been a bit of a revolving door.
    That was my thought as well. They won the division without Lee this year. I think they are returning every starter this year, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought CC didn't become a FA until after 2008. If CC becomes a free agent this offseason, that does change things.

I question whether Lee has a prayer to crack their rotation, especially if Sowers is coming on strong as Bill says. It makes a ton of sense for the Indians to cash in Lee for prospects. I imagine with the emergence of Gutereiz, they may want to move Trot Nixon and/or Delluci as well -- not that the Reds should have interest in those guys, but it's the same principle.. younger, talented guys pushing out vets.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Yes it seems unlikley but there has been a lof of speculation. A long-term deal (6-7 years) for a pitcher is very high risk for a small market club. CC is only 27 so they may be willing to take the plunge but he is also very overweight. The weight has not hindered his abilities and Rick Reuschel pitched for a long time overweight (albeit coming back from a torn rotator cuff), but Shapiro did deal Colon in his breakout year due to free agency and weight concerns. Carmona's emergence also makes it more possible.

All that said, I can see CC giving the tribe a break in the end. 20-25% chance of being dealt imo. If he would be dealt due to contract demands, of course that might not suit the Reds either.

On a side note, it's too bad O'brien turned down Shapiro's offer of Westbrook for Kearns jsut before he was fired. His groundball ratio would have played well in the ballpark.

Re: Cleveland's LH starter Cliff Lee, anyone?

This one was actually a more interesting read than the other Cliff Lee thread...especially in light of the fact that Cliff Lee is having one of the best starts to a season for a pitcher in baseball history.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?