Re: Coaching staff...

Double plays rock as well.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

so does low OBP

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I find it amusing that Hume gets the blame for the Bullpen by people here on this board. Wow. Pole doesn't coach the pitchers in the bullpen too? For 6 years running Hume was one of the best if not the best Bullpen Coach in baseball. He the turns in an outstanding job as pitching coach only to be handed a worthless bullpen after his fill in stint. Hume was let go because Dusty has a job promised to someone. End of story. Not all that unusual. Happens all the time. You're not a great coach on Wednesday and suck on Friday. When you're good your good. Humey was/is good.

I can remember Sullivan, Williamson, Graves (when he was good), Belinda and others making comments that is Hume ever goes they go. Humey outlasted them all in their careers but those players comments spoke volumes of what he meant to them. He made it through what 5-6 managers? That's almost unheard of. A lot of respect from the people he needs it from.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I find it amusing that Hume gets the blame for the Bullpen by people here on this board. Wow. Pole doesn't coach the pitchers in the bullpen too? For 6 years running Hume was one of the best if not the best Bullpen Coach in baseball. He the turns in an outstanding job as pitching coach only to be handed a worthless bullpen after his fill in stint. Hume was let go because Dusty has a job promised to someone. End of story. Not all that unusual. Happens all the time. You're not a great coach on Wednesday and suck on Friday. When you're good your good. Humey was/is good.

I can remember Sullivan, Williamson, Graves (when he was good), Belinda and others making comments that is Hume ever goes they go. Humey outlasted them all in their careers but those players comments spoke volumes of what he meant to them. He made it through what 5-6 managers? That's almost unheard of. A lot of respect from the people he needs it from.

Boo hoo. We'll see how quickly another organization picks him up. He's presided over some lousy bullpens the past several years. Someone has to take the fall.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Boo hoo. We'll see how quickly another organization picks him up. He's presided over some lousy bullpens the past several years. Someone has to take the fall.
    Yep, someone has to take the fall, thats usually how it works in baseball. However, as the season went along, I dont recall reading that Hume was such a problem and a probable cause for the generally ineffective bullpen. Now that the season is over, Hume is really racking up the disrespect in these parts. Wow. Who knew?

Who has presided over some lousy pens over the past many years? Dont you mean Gullett, Ruhle and Pole? Dan O'Brien and Wayne Krivsky?

I didnt realize that so many folks dont know what the bullpen coach's job is all about. Humey took that job to a higher level, but he's NOT the pitching coach for the relievers. That is Pole's job. Hume did not bring in guys who are too young, too old, too hurt, too ineffective. That is Krivsky's job.

If Hume is not picked up, I wouldn't consider that to mean he stinks as a coach. He owns a couple of businesses in the Bradenton, Florida area and maybe he'll want to take a break from the traveling and the BS.

Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 10-21-2007 at 02:00 AM.

You wouldn't happen to be friends with him now, would you?

Hey, if you want to give Hume a pass on presiding over some of the most putrid bullpens over the past 5 years, that's fine.

I met Tom Hume at RedsFest about 7 yrs ago. I can't say we are friends.

I'm not understanding how you can be down on Hume while giving a free pass to the pitching coach of that putrid bullpen and a free pass to the General Manager who assembled that putrid bullpen.

I'm not giving Hume credit and respect because I .....'happen to be friends with him now', ....it's because I woke up a long time ago and smelled the coffee.

Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 10-21-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post

TC, the Reds consistently had relievers enter the game who were not ready to pitch. The last member of the coaching staff these pitchers confronted before being handed the ball was Tom Hume. He was not getting them ready. He was at fault and should have been let go. It's tough to get rid of a guy like that because he had achieved "Cincinnati Prince" status, but his time had come.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Hume's been bullpen coach for about 10 years, right? The bullpen has gotten steadily worse during his tenure. Wayne's been GM for about 2 years, Pole's been pitching coach for 1. So who should get the benefit of the doubt?

Hey, maybe Hume doesn't have anything to do with the pitchers. So why even have him around? They can get anyone to answer the phone and tell someone to warm up.

JimBo, Gullett and DanO all paid the price for assembling a bad pitching staff. It may not be Hume's fault but he's the bullpen coach and the bullpen has been lousy. Don't you think he shoud be held somewhat responsible as well?

I don't think it's fair to say that the bullpen problems were Hume's fault. I think they were more Krivsky's fault for bringing in a bunch of guys past their prime. You can't make chicken salad from chicken you know what. I had thought the consensus was that Hume did a decent job stepping in for Ruhle when Ruhle fell ill, and Ruhle himself was pretty well respected.

How much influence does a bullpen coach have, anyway? I'm not saying it's not a vital position, but it seems like there are other areas that might be the source of the bullpen problem. Personally, I think the problem with the Reds pitching is found largely in the scouting and development department. The Reds just haven't had success in scouting and developing their own pitching talent in years and it really shows in the bullpen. When was the last time they had a solid bullpen with a decent number of guys from within the organization?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    TC, the Reds consistently had relievers enter the game who were not ready to pitch. The last member of the coaching staff these pitchers confronted before being handed the ball was Tom Hume. He was not getting them ready. He was at fault and should have been let go. It's tough to get rid of a guy like that because he had achieved "Cincinnati Prince" status, but his time had come.
    Are we confusing 'not ready to pitch' with 'not talented or healthy' to pitch for the Reds??

I assume you are meaning that Hume sends pitchers out of his pen and into the game without being physically ready as in NOT properly warmed up and ready to go.

These relievers are generally warmed up in plenty of time. The bullpen coach would normally call the dugout or signal to the dugout that so and so is ready -OR- the pitching coach, bench coach or manager would call the pen and ask if so and so is ready or ask how close is he to being ready.

The pitcher leaves the pen and reaches the mound where he is met by the manager or the pitching coach. The mgr or pitching coach will normally ask something along the lines of "Are you ready?" or "How ya feeling?" The reliever has the opportunity to throw an additional 8 pitches from the mound.

Where is this 'consistently had relievers entering the game not ready to pitch' thing coming from?

Over this past season, I would generally hear about half the games on radio and I watched each and every Reds' game that was televised. I read the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Cincinnati Post. I check out a few blogs everyday and I listen to sportstalk and read RedsZone everyday. This is the first instance that I know of where somebdoy has said Humey sends guys into games not ready to pitch. I'm sure Jeff Brantley would of said something if he noticed it or he would of watched closer and then said something if he had heard any rumor or talk of that nature.

Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 10-21-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Maybe his time has come. All coaches get replaced, same as Managers. To say he sent pitchers in unprepared is waaay out of line though. So Tom pitches for them too? I can remember Tom telling me a few years ago that there were at least 6 members of the bullpen who were afraid for the phone to ring. Is that Tom's fault? I doubt it. That's like blaming Chambliss for the 4 or 5 guys who routinely showed up to BP to hit HR's and hurry back to the clubhouse to play more PS2. You can only lead horses to water. Humey, as long as I've known him deflected credit and accepted blame but one thing is certain he is not responsible for a bullpen like the one he was handed.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 10-21-2007 at 03:04 AM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?