Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Coaching staff...

Re: Coaching staff...

Somewhere around here I have a Chris Speier glove that my parents bought for me back when I played pony league ball in the mid seventies. I feel better about it now that he's a Red.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    OK, I can see why they call him Porky

Just don't call him late for dinner. Because he never is.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

You mean we get Chris Speier AND Juan "Porky" Lopez???

Chris Speier I can live with. Played 19 seasons in the big show. Made the All-Star team a few times as a shortstop in the early-to-mid-70's. Carries a good reputation as an infield instructor.

But Porky Lopez?? Wow! I'm really impressed with all that background in being a bullpen catcher. Cant' have too many 'bullpen catcher' types around.

At least he fits nicely into the coaching staff budget, tho he's low man on the totem pole, which means he signed for 13K and he gets first dibs on all the leftover clubhouse chow he can take home.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 10-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Since we are hiring Bullpen Catchers to be the Bullpen Coach... Why didn't they give the shot to Stefanski? Is he responsible for last year's pen too? You know, he was the last guy to catch them before they went into the game.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Just don't call him late for dinner. Because he never is.
    Oh my god. I just got that joke for the first time in my life.

Well, Porky has already had a profound effect on me.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Porky's big league background:

1996 Giants coaching assistant

1997 Giants bullpen catcher
    1998 Giants bullpen catcher

1999 Giants bullpen coach
    2000 Giants bullpen coach
    2001 Giants bullpen coach
    2002 Giants bullpen coach

2003 Cubs bullpen catcher
    2004 Cubs bullpen catcher
    2005 Cubs bullpen catcher
    2006 Cubs bullpen catcher

I'm hoping the best for Porky, but I am wondering about his abilities and limitations, and it seems that he's only been able to hang around the majors while working for Dusty Baker.

I've always been a big believer in having the proper coaches in the proper places at the right time. IMO, Dusty and Kriv should put more stock in that kind of thinking as opposed to who will work cheap, who makes for a good drinkin' buddy, or who stays because Adam Dunn has already had 5 batting coaches in 5 years, etc, etc.

It should be interesting to see what Lopez brings to the table as opposed to what Tom Hume was or wasn't bringing to the table. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Since we are hiring Bullpen Catchers to be the Bullpen Coach... Why didn't they give the shot to Stefanski? Is he responsible for last year's pen too? You know, he was the last guy to catch them before they went into the game.
    Hell Fire !!!!

Why not give Team Clark the job?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Porky might not be anything great, but look at this way: How could he be any worse? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Hell Fire !!!!

Why not give Team Clark the job?
    Hey...not a bad idea. Could be fun. Good thinking!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?