Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Morgan on Dusty Baker

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Morgan on Dusty Baker

Talk about the kiss of death. Joe Morgan is pretty much the last person on earth who'd going to convince doubters that Dusty Baker isn't a dinosaur stuck in baseball's tarpits.
    Last edited by M2; 10-17-2007 at 05:46 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I don't even need to read this. I'm sure Joe is in love with Dusty.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The title of this thread makes my head want to explode. It's like one of those infinite mirrors.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Should I rename it?

I think Morgan asks the $64,000 question: "People are going to criticize anything, but were they happy with what happened before?".

I like the title: Morgan: Give Baker a Chance - made me think of this:

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think Morgan asks the $64,000 question: "People are going to criticize anything, but were they happy with what happened before?".
    Seems to me like you have been very happy and trusting of each and every move made by this organization since you have been here.

I wish I had the faith in this franchise that you have. I really hope you are right on this one.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-18-2007 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Seems to me like you have been very happy and trusting of each and every move made by this organization since you have been here.

I wish I had the faith in this franchise that you have. I really hope you are right on this one.
    That might be a true assessment, although I don't think it's been "each and every move". I certainly stuck with Narron longer than I should and recognize what folks were saying about him. In the case of Baker, I agree with the quote of Morgan's I highlighted and which others have noted - what we have been doing hasn't been working. I understand the serious concerns many have about Baker, but just in the very brief introduction we've been given, I have some excitement about the possibilities ahead of us.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'm pretty sure the guy with the guitar didn't read "Moneyball" either.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

He's putting the words to music. That would strike a chord with some folks here.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Morgan maintains...."Give Dusty an opportunity. Then, if it doesn't work out, criticize him. But give him a chance."

And I think that is fair.

A week or so ago, none of us, in our wildest dreams, envisioned that in this FO's hunt for a manager that Baker was on that list. Were any of us even discussing the possibility when looking at what viable candidates were out there. I don't think Baker's name ever entered any of those discussions. Why? Because we considered it simply unfathomable that he would be even considered.

Then it happens. Like a punch in the gut. And initial reactions have been strong.

I guess I should be more accepting of Baker since he is seen as so "old school". But my dislike of Baker is pretty much in-line with the perceptions that everyone else has held about the guy these last several years.

And it's up to Dusty Baker to dispel those perceptions if they are wrong.

He's a "big name" manager from outside the organization. In fact, it was noted that the last time the Reds went outside the organization to hire a manager (sweel Lou), they won the World Series. That really means very little to me. And mainly because the economics of the game has greatly changed over the last 17 years. Lou came into a scenario that was quite different, and one of them was he "inherited" a pretty talented team.

Can that be said with what Baker's getting?

Regardless of how I feel about Baker, there is one thing that is absolutely true.... he is facing one heck of a challenge that is nowhere near what he had in San Fran and Chicago. He had bigger payrolls and more talent with those teams. And having a Barry Bonds on your roster also helps.

Some have contended this week that Baker might be able to draw players to Cincy. I think in his WLW SportsTalk interview the other day he killed that notion when he said that is not his role. He is the field manager, and it's the job of the GM to acquire the players. And I agree with Dusty on that.

Over the course of time on here, most feel that this team must (primarily) scout and develop younger players and build up our farm system as that source of talent-draw.

That is not Baker's job. As he has already stated - he feels his role is the field manager. That's the job of this FO.

But the question has to be asked though - Is he the guy that can adequately work within that system and help those younger players? Does he have the patience? He's a competitive guy, that is for sure. It's noble that he wants to win.

I just hope this job doesn't end up frustrating the heck of out of him because it ain't San Fran or Chicago.

But I am sure he doesn't have t be reminded of that.

So Baker is here, and we have to live with that.

So now the pressure is on this FO - who talked him into coming here, and what they told, or even promised him, we have no idea - to acquire those players to make this a competitive, winning, team.

Even as much as I may dislike and have my doubts about Baker, I (we) cannot expect him to turn this team around and vastly improve it, simply because he's a big name manager, seen as a "motivator", with the current personnel intact.

Changes are going to have to be made, or IMHO, he'll do no better then Pete, who ended with a 41-39 record.

Dusty is just not that good IMO.

But after the intial horror and shock has worn off (it still lingers though), I believe I (we) have to do what Morgan states above......

"Give Dusty an opportunity. Then, if it doesn't work out, criticize him. But give him a chance."

I just wonder HOW LONG Reds fans will be tolerant (patient) and give him that opportunity? They haven't shown it towards Krivsky. Are they going to be calling for Dusty's head after his first year as manager?

And again - the game threads are going to be quite entertaining this year.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-18-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Personally, I think Cold Turkey would be more appropropriate with the hiring of Dusty. From the very first line.....

Temperatures rising
    Fever is high
    Cant see no future
    Cant see no sky

My feet are so heavy
    So is my head
    I wish I was a baby
    I wish I was dead

Dusty Baaaaaker.... has got me.... on the run

My body is aching
    Goose-pimple bone
    Cant see no body
    Leave me alone

My eyes are wide open
    Cant get to sleep
    One thing Im sure of
    Im in at the deep freeze

Dusty Baker... has got me.... on the run

Thirty-six hours
    Rolling in pain
    Praying to someone
    Free me again

Oh Ill be a good boy
    Please make me well
    I promise you anything
    Get me out of this hell

Dusty Baker....has got me.... on the run

Oh, no, no, no, no, no

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Baseball fandom is turning into religious-like factions. Joe Morgan is a heretic, and now if he speaks, it isn't worth reading or listening to. Grow up.

I was initially very strongly opposed, and was basically throwing out next season, with plans of spending my evenings doing something other than driving myself nuts watching the Reds. But I think GAC hit it right. I need to give him a chance. Oh I'm sure he's going to do things that make us crazy, but is the club he's getting here much different than the type of club he got when he first went to the Cubs?

The simple fact that they looked outside the organization, and didn't stand pat on Pete, gives a little hope. So I've morphed over the last few days from dread and anguish to a tiny touch of optimism.

(Guess I've had some of the kool-aid)
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    But I think GAC hit it right. I need to give him a chance.
    Yeah, but this is the same GAC that a couple days ago said he wasn't going to spend a dime next year on the Reds because of this hiring.

I'm a repentant poster. I'll probably end up going down; but not as much as I did this past season. Last year I spent my money on a power pack and went solely to the Reds. THis year I'm gonna expand my horizons, since my locale affords me that, and hit Cleveland and Detroit. I may have to eat at McDonalds most of the time; but I still like to go to Outback too.

And I definitely won't go down when they are playing the Cubs. I can't handle their fans the way it is now. Somebody would probably have to bring bail money.

But I am going to give the guy a chance. But unless some other changes are made, the hiring of a "big name" manager like Baker ain't gonna do it IMHO.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-18-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Turn Off Ads?