Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Morgan on Dusty Baker

Re: Joe Morgan on Dusty Baker

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yeah, but this is the same GAC that a couple days ago said he wasn't going to spend a dime next year on the Reds because of this hiring.

I'm a repentant poster. I'll probably end up going down

Well, well, well.

I'd say by this time next month you'll be wearing sweatbands, chomping on a toothpick, and your sig line will read "In Dusty we Trusty"
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Baseball fandom is turning into religious-like factions. Joe Morgan is a heretic, and now if he speaks, it isn't worth reading or listening to. Grow up.
    Somehow that struck me as funny.

Funny, but true!
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Well, well, well.

I'd say by this time next month you'll be wearing sweatbands, chomping on a toothpick, and your sig line will read "In Dusty we Trusty"
    I prefer....

Trust the Dust

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Well, well, well.

You da debil! The last time you coaxed a response out of me my warning level went up. And I can't respond to you with what I'd like to say. I can't afford anymore warnings or the only place I'll be able to post is on the Indian's forum.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-18-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Even as much as I may dislike and have my doubts about Baker, I (we) cannot expect him to turn this team around and vastly improve it, simply because he's a big name manager, seen as a "motivator", with the current personnel intact.

Changes are going to have to be made, or IMHO, he'll do no better then Pete, who ended with a 41-39 record.

Dusty is just not that good IMO.

But after the intial horror and shock has worn off (it still lingers though), I believe I (we) have to do what Morgan states above......

"Give Dusty an opportunity. Then, if it doesn't work out, criticize him. But give him a chance."

I just wonder HOW LONG Reds fans will be tolerant (patient) and give him that opportunity? They haven't shown it towards Krivsky. Are they going to be calling for Dusty's head after his first year as manager?

And again - the game threads are going to be quite entertaining this year.
    Well put. I'm not excited about the hire. But looking at what was available, which wasn't much, and knowing that the FO wanted something different, this was probably the best they could do, not that that's anything to get excited about.

One things for sure. This whole thing is on Castellini and maybe Krivsky if it doesn't work. It will be interesting to see what those who have steadfastly supported both on this board for the last couple of years say then.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    One things for sure. This whole thing is on Castellini and maybe Krivsky if it doesn't work. It will be interesting to see what those who have steadfastly supported both on this board for the last couple of years say then.
    People may now have the tendency, especially with what we are paying Baker (3 yrs/11 mil?), and that "big name" label he is carrying around, to think it's up to Baker to turn this ship around.

But you can only get so much juice out of a lemon. I hope it doesn't become a "monkey on his back". Especially knowing Cincy fans.

IMHO, the pressure is on Castellini and Krivsky more. They are the ones saying he is a winner.

I was thinking the same thing about the other side.

Boy.... Last couple years eh?

I'm still waiting for the 2 year anniversary of the ownership group and the GM myself.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I'm still waiting for the 2 year anniversary of the ownership group and the GM myself.
    And you're probably wiser than me. Patience is a virtue seldom found in the general population and never in me and most Reds fans. Woe to us.

I do think you'll find at the end of the two years not much will be different than today. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

I do think you'll find at the end of the two years not much will be different than today. Of course, I hope I'm wrong
    Really? So nothing will happen between now and February?

I might as well log off then.

Very true.

Are Cincy fans going to be as patient with Baker as they have been with Krivsky? And yes, I'm taking a stab at being sarcastic.

Really? So nothing will happen between now and February?

I might as well log off then.
    I don't think the results will be much different as far as win-loss record. Of course, I'm thinking the real Reds team was the one that went 41-39 and not the one that Narron managed.

Things will happen, and I may be wrong--it happens often as you know. But for now, DB doesn't look to me like the one cog that will turn this franchise around.

I'd be very surprised if Dusty over pitches his starters as has been mentioned over and over again. He knows everyone has been critical of that part of his managing style and they'll be watching his starter's pitch counts carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I prefer....

Trust the Dust
    Whenever I have Dust... I tend to sweep it up and toss it out the window.

Just sayin'.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Baseball fandom is turning into religious-like factions. Joe Morgan is a heretic, and now if he speaks, it isn't worth reading or listening to. Grow up.

I'm assuming you are reponding to my post of...

"I don't even need to read this. I'm sure Joe is in love with Dusty."

I think you misunderstood. My point was that without reading the article, I can pretty much guess what Joe thinks of Dusty. Not that I would refuse to read it because Joe Morgan said it. I respect Joe Morgan very much.

So, I think you may have misunderstood and that is probably my fault for not being more clear. Please forgive me.

As for your anaogy of fandom becoming religious-like factions and Joe Morgan being a "heretic". I think that's a bit extreme. But, if we are going with that analogy, you might have it backwards. In the analogy, Joe and Dusty would be considered the establishment, accepting the doctrines prescribed by the church. Anyone that is against those established principles would be considered the free-thinking, non-conforming heretics, that reject the system and have their views discredited with much hyperbole by a certain faction of society (the board).

May God have mercy on our souls.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm assuming you are reponding to my post of...

"I don't even need to read this. I'm sure Joe is in love with Dusty."

I think you misunderstood. My point was that without reading the article, I can pretty much guess what Joe thinks of Dusty. Not that I would refuse to read it because Joe Morgan said it. I respect Joe Morgan very much.

So, I think you may have misunderstood and that is probably my fault for not being more clear. Please forgive me.

As for your anaogy of fandom becoming religious-like factions and Joe Morgan being a "heretic". I think that's a bit extreme. But, if we are going with that analogy, you might have it backwards. In the analogy, Joe and Dusty would be considered the establishment, accepting the doctrines prescribed by the church. Anyone that is against those established principles would be considered the free-thinking, non-conforming heretics, that reject the system and have their views discredited with much hyperbole by a certain faction of society (the board).

May God have mercy on our souls.
    I hear what you are saying, but to those on the other side, Joe is a heretic.

Turn Off Ads?