Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dusty Baker "Old School"????

Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: Dusty Baker "Old School"????

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. The advancements of medicine is factual while the newer stats of today is not actual proof that "new school" is any better than "old school." It's just a different style. I like some of the new stats out today also, but do not think they are the say all and do all of baseball today. That doesn't make me a buffoon.

I think there are lot of things about our society today that would be a lot better off if more "old school" was used.
    The "newer stats" simply reveal truths that were always there. Medicine is a great comparison. And "old school" guys ignore those truths at their peril, while "new school" guys like Billy Beane and Theo Epstein use them to their advantage, with increasing and undeniable success. When you ignore the facts (which is, by definition, what statistics are), it's called ignorance. Sorry if it sounds offensive, but it is what it is.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    ........while "new school" guys like Billy Beane and Theo Epstein use them to their advantage, with increasing and undeniable success. When you ignore the facts (which is, by definition, what statistics are), it's called ignorance. Sorry if it sounds offensive, but it is what it is.
    Give me a break. Beane, while competative, hasn't won anything yet and Epstein is backed by money and some of his spending lately is quite questionable.

Not offended at all, I found your post quite comical.

Facts are that whether you like Baker or not (and I do have my reservations), he is a winner......and that is undeniable.

The "newer stats" simply reveal truths that were always there.
    Yeah, the DBacks get outscored for the year and yet make it to the NLCS. That stats don't always tell the truth, they are only a tool.
    Last edited by jimbo; 10-19-2007 at 02:56 AM.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    That's not "new school" baseball.

C'mon.

"New school" baseball is an ideology about statistics and what they represent, not showboating.
    To me "Old School, New School" is indicative of the way things used to be as opposed to the way things are now. This extends beyond a statistical approach to the game. Here is another example of "Old School, New School" to me: New School - players wear their pants down to the shoe tops. Old School - Players fold their pants under just pull the knee and you can see plenty of their sock. "Old School, New School" pertains to more than just analysts of the game. It includes owners, gms, managers, players, fans and a whole lot more, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Yeah, the DBacks get outscored for the year and yet make it to the NLCS. That stats don't always tell the truth, they are only a tool.
    Right, isn't that the whole idea of "new school"? Using every tool at your disposal to find and exploit market inefficiencies? The Dusty Bakers and Joe Morgans of the world get an "old school" rep because not only do they not consider new approaches to the game, they openly trash those new approaches without giving them a chance (e.g. Baker's "clog the bases" and "the Yankees don't walk" comments, and pretty much anything Joe Morgan has ever said).

My biggest problem with the manager hire is not that I wanted somebody who was all about sabrmetrics as our manager. I just wanted somebody who was not totally against it from the start. My ideal manager is a guy who a) players respect and b) will use every tool at his disposal to improve his lineup construction, bullpen use, etc. Dusty has one of those traits, he certainly does not have the other.

This is not just a baseball thing either. Somebody referenced medicine earlier - guess what, there are tons of older doctors who perform mostly unneccesary techniques because that is what they were taught in medical school and that is what they have been doing their whole careers. Even though newer research may be against these techniques, old docs still do them. It's not these doctors (or Dusty) are too stupid to understand the new data, it's that they are too stubborn (and I include Dusty in this category). It's the mindset of "I'm doing it this way because I've always done it this way" and it is a problem in a multitude of fields besides baseball.

Turn Off Ads?