Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tori Hunter Mentioned With The Reds

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Tori Hunter Mentioned With The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    You also have a leftfielder who hits 40 home runs a year, drives in 100, scores 100 runs, and walks 100 times. AND he's entering his prime. Hunter on the other hand is on the decline.
    Dunn blows him away in walks but Hunter had more rbi's in the last two years than Dunn, and I could see GABP being a huge power boost for Hunter. Hunter scored about 7 less runs than Dunn last year while walking half as many times. I think with the defensive upgrade Hunter brings against Dunn he is one of few free agent outfielders that could come close to replacing Dunn's numbers. That being said they play different positions in the outfield, and I think and hope Dunn's option is picked up and I think the only reason for delay is not the LTC but rather the fact that they just announced the Dusty hiring and the league prefers that teams wait until after the World Series to make announcements like this. I'm sure Bud allowed them to go ahead with the Dusty signing announcement because of the number of manager jobs up for grabs and the number of managers that may be on there way out of there present situation. It's kinda shocking with all of the complaining about not spending money on players in the past that we could complain about maybe picking up a guy like this. I would be thrilled to have an outfield of Dunn, Hunter, and Hamilton, and wouldn't be at all upset with Griffey if he hits like he did this year. It's too bad we cant field 4 outfielders like in softball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I dont see where he fits with out making major moves with trades

Torii Hunter says he wants to play somewhere with a large African-American population. Not sure how Cincinnati fits in.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Torii Hunter says he wants to play somewhere with a large African-American population. Not sure how Cincinnati fits in.

Can you say HOTLANTA?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Torii Hunter would be an awful target for a highly lucrative, long term contract from the Reds. His value as a player comes from his ability to play a stellar CF, but he is already 32, will be 33 half way through next year, and is already declining as a fielder. As a hitter, he has never had an OBP above .337, and I doubt he will improve all that much, since he strikes out three times more than he walks. Basically, while he has good power, he is only worth 15 million a year if he is playing a fantastic CF, which he would be unlikelly to do throughout a long term contract, considering his age.

If the Reds were to shell out for an elite CF(which is arguable if they should, I wouldn't), the man to go after would be Andruw Jones. He is almost two years younger than Hunter, a superior hitter in both power and on-base ability, and likely to keep his defensive value for a longer period of time.

Why in the hell would the Reds want to go after Torii Hunter? They already have Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Freel (once he's healthy), and Norris Hopper. Don't forget about Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. Why in the world would the Reds want to go after an aging center fielder? They have plenty of outfielders. They have enough hitting as it stands right now. This makes no sense whatsoever.

The Reds need to address their pitching needs. They need another quality starter, and they need to stop getting old, tired, over-the-hill relievers whose best days are behind them.
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 10-23-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Pass on Torii Hunter. No need for that overpaid OFer in Cincy. Again, the Reds need Pitching, Pitching and more PITCHING! After acquiring said pitching, let's see what is available in the Catching area. The Reds have outfielders coming out of the woodwork and they're all good enough to keep unless very good+ (or better) pitching can come our way for Hamilton, Freel or Griffey-> if Jr. consents to a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    Why in the hell would the Reds want to go after Torii Hunter? They already have Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Freel (once he's healthy), and Norris Hopper. Don't forget about Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. Why in the world would the Reds want to go after an aging center fielder? They have plenty of outfielders. They have enough hitting as it stands right now. This makes no sense whatsoever.

The Reds need to address their pitching needs. They need another quality starter, and they need to stop getting old, tired, over-the-hill relievers whose best days are behind them.
    Freel and Hopper are far from the answer. Freel can't hit and also can't stay healthy. I love the guy but he has no business being a starter. Hopper hit pretty well but is he really a long term solution? I've heard several analysts say his average will drop like a rock once he doesn't get as many infield hits and bunt singles.

Well, I've seen on RZ plenty of times about how there's no quality pitching in the FA market and any pitching upgrades will probably come through trades-- maybe the reds are thinking about dipping into an area where we can ARGUABLY upgrade (centerfield) and trade away some of our area of surplus (outfielders) for quality pitching. Makes sense to me...

You also have a leftfielder who hits 40 home runs a year, drives in 100, scores 100 runs, and walks 100 times. AND he's entering his prime. Hunter on the other hand is on the decline.
    How could ANYONE not want to have Torii on their team? a SMALL dropoff in power would occur, with him replacing dunn, but an immediate upgrade in fielding would occur.. he's still going to get a gold glove this year, so even if he is "declining" like you say.. his gold glove for one or two more years is far better than what dunn brings to the game.. question.. does he even own a glove? with how he plays it seems like each night he has a new one he is trying to break in..........

your constant Dunn is the best player in the world banter really has no base, and if you really would be that upset about them getting a big time improvement in the field over that overrated donkey(would be a good DH, but not a fielder in the NL), then go cheer on the cubbies or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    Torii Hunter would be an awful target for a highly lucrative, long term contract from the Reds. His value as a player comes from his ability to play a stellar CF, but he is already 32, will be 33 half way through next year, and is already declining as a fielder. As a hitter, he has never had an OBP above .337, and I doubt he will improve all that much, since he strikes out three times more than he walks. Basically, while he has good power, he is only worth 15 million a year if he is playing a fantastic CF, which he would be unlikelly to do throughout a long term contract, considering his age.

If the Reds were to shell out for an elite CF(which is arguable if they should, I wouldn't), the man to go after would be Andruw Jones. He is almost two years younger than Hunter, a superior hitter in both power and on-base ability, and likely to keep his defensive value for a longer period of time.
    He has already declined more than hunter in the field.. and last year, a contract year no less he hit .222.. I would have loved to have Andruw about 5 years ago.. but after 2003 he changed his batting, and now just goes strictly for long ball, something dunn already does.... had we gotten the .280 hitting 35 home run, gg outfielder of pre2003 hells yeah, but now.. its a rehash of dunn, by the way.. how many division titles have we won since dunn has been here? ohh thats right 0, because we are compromising defense and pitching for a precieved lack of power, or need of power, in a hitter friendly park..

GABP being a hitters park is a perfect place for people like alex gonzalez and josh hamilton, and norris hopper.. GREAT on defense, and with the park they can stretch hits that were normally singles into doubles, and doubles into going over the wall..

you dont need to build around power.. you need to build around pitching and defense, the power upgrade in numbers will come because of the park they play in..

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post

Anyone bothered a little by this comment?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Anyone bothered a little by this comment?
    Are you referring to the double standard? How Hunter can say this but if a white player said the same thing about a predominantly white city, he would be a racist?

To answer your question...no. He can say what he wants. I just hope he doesn't come to the Reds as Hamilton's offensive numbers will be much better and he plays a stellar center field.
    Last edited by big boy; 10-24-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    The problem is I'm not sure If we can get that kind of value out of Griffey from anyone. He's old, he gets hurt a lot, and he has a huge contract. Would you trade your rare top catching prospect (Saltalamachia for example) for a guy like Griffey? No way.

Seattle has 3 young catchers and Clemente is not considered #1.

It amazes me on this board that so many, if not most people, are clinging so tightly to Josh Hamilton, when this team needs pitching so badly and the free agent market is horrible.

Keeping Josh Hamilton and all of our top young players will just lead to more losing as long as we don't/can't trade one or two of them for pitching.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    How could ANYONE not want to have Torii on their team? a SMALL dropoff in power would occur, with him replacing dunn, but an immediate upgrade in fielding would occur.. he's still going to get a gold glove this year, so even if he is "declining" like you say.. his gold glove for one or two more years is far better than what dunn brings to the game.. question.. does he even own a glove? with how he plays it seems like each night he has a new one he is trying to break in..........

your constant Dunn is the best player in the world banter really has no base, and if you really would be that upset about them getting a big time improvement in the field over that overrated donkey(would be a good DH, but not a fielder in the NL), then go cheer on the cubbies or something...

refer to:

I am fairly confident that this statement (which you quoted in the post above) does not exclaim that Dunn is the greatest player in the world. However it does state that Dunnn perrenially Hits 40+HRs, scores 100+ runs, 100+ RBI's, and walks 100+ times.

Dont be blinded by what you hear from Marty and Thom during broadcasts... Dunn's hitting prowess would be incredibly hard to make up for and adding a 32 year old center fielder's defense probably won't account for much. Remember Griffey (arguably the greatest player of his generation before injuries) was 31 when he first came to the queen city...

Turn Off Ads?