Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    It's not the actual penalty, though. It's the act itself. It loosened the team up. It let them see that, even though we're not winning a lot, it's ok to have fun out there. They did, and they played much better.

I saw a player on the Vikings mention that the fans care more about the results than the players, and I think that's pretty much spot on. Not in a "winning isn't important" way, but in a "this is a game" way. Losing isn't that big of a deal, but to a lot of fans, it is. They pay their money (in a lot of cases more than they can afford) and many want blood when they don't get the result they desire (we're all guilty of it from time to time at varying degrees). The players go home to their families.
    I understand where you're coming from guttle. So what is "PT Barnum" going to do this week vs Pittsburgh to ignite this team if their play isn't up to par?

How many other teams around the NFL are condoning or following this type of behavior in order to keep their teams fired up and give them a chance of winning?

I personally think the Bengals can win despite his antics. I just think it's an insult to the team as a whole to insinuate that this team needs this in order to motivate them on a week-to-week basis.

If I was Palmer, T.J, Justin Smith, and the other Bengal players, I'd feel downright slighted to hear fans say "Thank God for Chad's endzone antics! It's what's keeping this team motivated, and giving us a chance to win." It's all about Chad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I understand where you're coming from guttle. So what is "PT Barnum" going to do this week vs Pittsburgh to ignite this team if their play isn't up to par?

How many other teams around the NFL are condoning or following this type of behavior in order to keep their teams fired up and give them a chance of winning?

I personally think the Bengals can win despite his antics. I just think it's an insult to the team as a whole to insinuate that this team needs this in order to motivate them on a week-to-week basis.

If I was Palmer, T.J, Justin Smith, and the other Bengal players, I'd feel downright slighted to hear fans say "Thank God for Chad's endzone antics! It's what's keeping this team motivated, and giving us a chance to win." It's all about Chad.
    I didn't say it was the best possible way to do motivate, I just said it did.

I just simply find it funny how many Bengal fans are defending this guy's action because he is one of your own. Yet when it comes to other team's players, such as a Joey Porter, T.O., and many other flamboyant, self-serving, and downright egotistical players, you've had no problem in the past in lambasting them, deploring their actions, and labeling them as such.

But not Chad Johnson. He's just misunderstood. What he is doing is simply "having fun" and "entertaining."
    There is simply a difference between Joey Porter doing the muscle thing and TO's "it is ALL about me" and Chad playfully dancing in the end zone. It has nothing to do with being "one of ours," GAC.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There is simply a difference between Joey Porter doing the muscle thing and TO's "it is ALL about me" and Chad playfully dancing in the end zone. It has nothing to do with being "one of ours," GAC.
    From all I've heard, Chad works hard in practice, communicates with his QB and other receivers, and studies game film all the time. Not quite the same thing as TO calling out his QB in the press and sitting out practices, riding the stationary bike and wearing a Tour De France cycling jersey for a gaggle of reporters while the rest of the team is trying to get its work done. GAC, like many other people, doesn't like Chad's celebrations because they find them to be unseemly. Fair enough. Whether it's a distraction or not seems to be conjecture coming from those outside the club, not within the club itself. It's easy to point the finger at Chad when the coach mentions selfish players. He does dumb stuff like the TD celebrations and not coming through on promised give aways at a comedy club. But when it comes to play on the field, he's not the real problem. Even when he's off his game, he still draws double teams and opens things up for other receivers. He works hard and he wants the ball every play. So does TJ. Good for them.

The real problem on this team is and has been the lack of leadership and consistent play on defense. Players are constantly freelancing and getting out of position, and make weak attempt at tackles, all of which result in big gains for the other team. This style of defense has been endemic with the Bengals since the days when Greg Myers was playing safety and making sissy arm tackles.

I would argue that the poor play on offense this season is just as attributable to players on the offensive side of the ball pressing in an attempt to score TDs every drive because they don't trust the defense to back them up. Maybe Chad's TD celebration fired everyone up, maybe it didn't. Maybe the defense stepped up its game and let the offense relax and play the game its own way.

If the Bengals trade Chad Johnson, I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever in the W-L column, and is just as likely to hurt the Bengals as it is to help. The only way to win consistently is to improve the defense by getting strong leadership and good talent. You can't put the entire responsibility for winning football games on the shoulders of Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, and TJ Houshmanzadeh.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think it is safe to say that TO and Romo have a much better relationship than Chad and Palmer.

It is Johnson and Palmer who argue on the sidelines. And if TO is such a distraction, why is Dallas 10-1? They are probably 4-7 without him.

TO is the one who is misunderstood. TO is the one who has the media breathing down his throat all the time, reporting that he tried to kill himself, etc, etc. Chad just gets laughed at and has funny features done on him. Rarely is he the center of a national media blitz, usually just blurbs here and there.

TO wins everywhere he goes. Chad has spent most of his career patting himself on the back while playing for mediocre teams. You can blame the D for the Bengals ills but you can't blame TO for those of the Cowboys as they really only have one, the Patriots happened to be on their schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    I think it is safe to say that TO and Romo have a much better relationship than Chad and Palmer.

It is Johnson and Palmer who argue on the sidelines. And if TO is such a distraction, why is Dallas 10-1? They are probably 4-7 without him.

TO is the one who is misunderstood. TO is the one who has the media breathing down his throat all the time, reporting that he tried to kill himself, etc, etc. Chad just gets laughed at and has funny features done on him. Rarely is he the center of a national media blitz, usually just blurbs here and there.

TO wins everywhere he goes. Chad has spent most of his career patting himself on the back while playing for mediocre teams. You can blame the D for the Bengals ills but you can't blame TO for those of the Cowboys as they really only have one, the Patriots happened to be on their schedule.
    I would say that TO is quiet because the Cowboys are winning. Maybe he learned to keep his trap shut after the debacles in Philly and his first year in Dallas. Somehow I think that, if they were not winning, he'd be pulling his same old dog and pony show. In the past, it's been TO calling the pressers, often with Drew Rosenhaus at his side, to make stupid comments. So don't try to play it off as TO is misunderstood. I think TO has made sure everyone understands TO loud and clear. TO doesn't win. One man does not win football games. He's been on some good teams that won. Of course when those teams then crashed and burned, he seemed to be up front with a can of gasoline and a book of matches.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'd love to see how Chad and Drew Bledsoe would get along.

And Philly hardly crashed and burned. They went to the Super Bowl. San Fran didn't crash and burn until after TO was gone. And Dallas isn't crashing and burning now that they have an actual NFL QB.

TO isn't perfect but as far as distrations to the other 52 players I think you will find as much support for TO in the Dallas locker room as you would for Chad in the Bengals.

Going back to Philly I think there were a lot of things that were not reported. I don't think Donovan McNabb is the saint he is made out to be.

I'd love to see how Chad and Drew Bledsoe would get along.

And Philly hardly crashed and burned. They went to the Super Bowl. San Fran didn't crash and burn until after TO was gone. And Dallas isn't crashing and burning now that they have an actual NFL QB.

TO isn't perfect but as far as distrations to the other 52 players I think you will find as much support for TO in the Dallas locker room as you would for Chad in the Bengals.

Going back to Philly I think there were a lot of things that were not reported. I don't think Donovan McNabb is the saint he is made out to be.
    Philly crashed and burned the following year, but I agree with your assessment of Donovan McNabb. Not to mention I think he will be out of Philadelphia this year and probably in Minnesota next.

Same with Chad Johnson, I look for him to be out of Cincinnati and probably in an Atlanta Falcons uniform next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Teams crash and burn left and right the year after making the Super Bowl. Look at the Bears this year.

But yet if TO was on the Bears he would be the reason for the collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Pete showboating didn't add any outs or start the next guy off with an 0-1 count.

No, but running a single into an out at second or a double into an out at 3rd is just as bad. Sliding headfirst into an out when sliding feet first would make you avoid the tag is not good either. Or diving for a ball and missing it when you could have caught it standing up.

Perhaps those things aren't showboating along the lines of a touchdown celebration. Maybe Pete did that stuff because he was showboating or maybe it was just misguided zeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Bengals have a top 5 offense. That the offense is even getting discussed in Cincinnati is so typical. Chad Johnson celebrating = Adam Dunn walking out to left field instead of running.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Bengals have a top 5 offense. That the offense is even getting discussed in Cincinnati is so typical. Chad Johnson celebrating = Adam Dunn walking out to left field instead of running.
    Completely agree. I also love to read posts about the so called selfishness of certain Bengals players coming from fans of our rivals.
    Last edited by Playadlc; 11-28-2007 at 05:51 AM.

Wow. Not being a Bengals fan, this is about as easy a call as they come.

He's a clown. A talented clown, but a clown, nonetheless.

Some people like clowns.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Completely agree. I also love to read posts about the so called selfishness of certain Bengals players coming from fans of our rivals.
    Right, because no Bengal fan would ever say anything about someone from another team.

Patriot fans love reading the jealous takes that are found here.

Jet fans love being lumped into a group of scum by Bengal fans.

Pittsburgh fans love reading about Big Ben having less talent than that of Carson Palmer's pinky toe. They also love harsh critism of their team winning games played at the bottom of a lake.

Redskin fans enjoy reading what a thug Sean Taylor is as he lay dying.

Brown fans loved hearing from Bengal fans how bad their team was early this season.

How dare anyone who doesn't wear black and orange underroos say anything about the mighty Bengals.

Right, because no Bengal fan would ever say anything about someone from another team.

Patriot fans love reading the jealous takes that are found here.

Jet fans love being lumped into a group of scum by Bengal fans.

Pittsburgh fans love reading about Big Ben having less talent than that of Carson Palmer's pinky toe. They also love harsh critism of their team winning games played at the bottom of a lake.

Redskin fans enjoy reading what a thug Sean Taylor is as he lay dying.

Brown fans loved hearing from Bengal fans how bad their team was early this season.

How dare anyone who doesn't wear black and orange underroos say anything about the mighty Bengals.
    And some people like to come in to every thread and take a big whiz all over it by taking cheap shots at the poster rather than discussing the content of the post.

Turn Off Ads?