Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    This is why he deserves to be criticized.

Criticism is fine. If someone drops a ball or runs the wrong route or screws up, they deserve criticism. But let's not make one person to be the sole problem. Did anyone ever think that TJ's having a career season because of Chad?

Because Chad doesn't fit the profile of the Cincinnati fan's idea of a player, he gets the large amount of the blame when the team goes south. It's happened many times before. Chad's no Jerry Rice but he's not the person to blame for the Bengals losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Before we go too much further, I'd like to point out that Chad is not having a terrible year. He is currently 4th in the NFL in yards receiving, 5th in receptions, and among receivers having 30+ receptions he's 2nd in percentage of catches for 1st downs...and he has 32 more catches than the guy in front (Santonio Holmes).

Say what you want about his personality and his antics, but to question his production is pure silliness. I get to see him live a lot more than most on here and there is ALWAYS help over the top with Chad. I'd assume that goes a long way in helping TJ have the great year he is having...but what do I know?

The Bengals' #1 problem coming into this year was a mediocre defense. Then a lot of guys on that mediocre defense got hurt, compounding the problem. Next would be the lunkhead brothers, Odell Thurman and Chris Henry missing time because of their stupid actions. Next would probably be the injuries they've had on offense (Willie, Levi, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Tab Perry, etc.). There are other things too; Marvin's brain cramps on game day, special teams shortcomings, ugly uniforms......whatever else you want to throw in there. Chad Johnson dancing in the endzone and acting the fool to the media rates so far down the list that it barely warrants mention outside of those media types and forum posters who don't take the time to fully understand the situation.

Just my two cents.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but it looked to me that Chad pointed the camera towards the sidelines, at his own teammates. After his 2nd touchdown, he sought out the O-Linemen to celebrate with them. And after his 3rd TD, he simply celebrated with his WRs and Carson. Maybe what Chad did was an effort to recognize and applaud his teammates, yet simply backfired - at least according to the 'talking heads'. Maybe, just maybe, he isn't as selfish as much of the media would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Wow. Not being a Bengals fan, this is about as easy a call as they come.

He's a clown. A talented clown, but a clown, nonetheless.

Some people like clowns.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about Chad Johnson.

He may be a clown, but he is a clown very few teams would turn down the chance to have him on their team IMO. That says everything you need to know about what kind of problem he is. He is the type of person you either love or hate, but you can't deny his talent.

That's because more teams than not will take talent regardless of attitude or personality in pro sports. Teams in the NFL will welcome Mike Vick back with open arms after his prison sentence is complete, as long as he can still run. Talent will always rule the day in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's because more teams than not will take talent regardless of attitude or personality in pro sports. Teams in the NFL will welcome Mike Vick back with open arms after his prison sentence is complete, as long as he can still run. Talent will always rule the day in sports.
    Which you could say is because they don't cause the big problems that some would like you to think. Talent gets results, wether the talent is a terrible team mate or not, which nobody has ever said that Chad was. Chad is selfish, yes, but not detremental to this team. The fact remains that you cannot attribute any of the failures of this team directly on Chad or his selfish attitude. You can attribute it, however, to injuries and suspensions and a terrible defense along with a weak running game. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even the stats will support that fact.

This topic gets tiring. You are either on one side of the fence or the other, and you aren't going to change no matter what happens. I believe that this is an argument that can't be resolved. You either hate him, or love him and there is no in between. There are no stats to show who was a good team mate or who caused losses because they were a terrible team mate. Can anybody tell me how many points Chad has cost the team this year because he is selfish? Even if you could, would it outweigh the positives Chad brings to the table.

In 2004, the media loved the guy and said he wasn't a problem. Now, he is selfish, stupid, and other s words I'm sure. The difference? W's. His celebrations are no worse now than before. I'm sure he was just as vocal, even though he and Carson did not get into as many arguments, but that too has to do with frustration of losing. Why isn't Carson just as much to blame for those arguments? We don't know for sure who made the mistakes, just some people don't like Chad. It is, as some say, the relationship between Chad and Carson that is in question here. Two make a relationship. In any relationship I've been involved in, when there was trouble it wasn't just a one way street.

I just have a problem understanding the hostility towards Chad over this season. The Bengals are set on a few positions. Those happen to be at QB and the 1 and 2 WR along with maybe a couple others. The problems lie elsewhere.

You won't hear me claim Chad is the reason for the Bengal's struggles. He certainly isn't. All I'll say is I'm glad he's a Bengal. Of course that's because I'm a Colts fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You won't hear me claim Chad is the reason for the Bengal's struggles. He certainly isn't. All I'll say is I'm glad he's a Bengal. Of course that's because I'm a Colts fan.

I didn't mean to aim that in anybody's direction in particular. Its just a theme that has be at the head of this whole debate. My apologies if you took it that way. I get a little carried away with my rants. I had forgotten I used your post as a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Don't blame us for wondering why other teams fans are criticizing our team and using psychoanalysis to determine why Chad is such a horrible player.
    You never cease to amaze with your exaggerations. Psychoanalysis? No one said he was a horrible player. He's just a head case. Very talented. Just a head case.

Just like many enjoy Chad's antics, many also see them as selfish and a distraction to the team.

And you keep throwing that "other team's fans" reasoning out there and it just doesn't wash. It has nothing to do with the fact that he is a Bengal. I could care less whose uniform he's wearing. If he was pulling these shenanigans as a Brown, my position wouldn't change. I just don't care for what I perceive to be selfish and showboating players who seem to like to draw attention to themselves. It reeks of ego. And I bet if he wore a Steeler or Brown uniform you wouldn't be defending him; but would be leveling some of the same accusations you trying to lambaste others for holding.

And it's just not other team's fans who are being critical of Chad. In fact, some even contend that this is all the fault of the local media. They are somehow to blame for all these hits that Chad's image is taking. Why isn't Chad ever responsible? Funny how Chad has no problem utilizing that same media to draw attention to himself - that's fine, that's acceptable - but when that media doesn't always go his way, or is ever critical, then they are to blame for how the fans perceive him.

How can one crave to be in the spotlight and not understand that there is good and bad when you're standing under those lights?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-29-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps he didn't. But we don't know that for sure. I'm sure no one was as cognizant of his image as Pete was. He knew his batting average after every at bat, etc. But don't you think there might have been a time or two where he was showing some false hustle? Maybe he tried to dive for a catch instead of catching it in the air ala Jim Edmonds. 9 out of 10 times when he was stretching a single into a double he may have been doing it to get that extra base but maybe that 10th time he was doing it to make himself look good. I don't disagree that he hated to lose. I'm sure Chad Johnson hates to lose too and he's as competitive as the next guy. But since Chad has all that natural talent he's not perceived the same way as Rose was and is.
    IMO, Chad and Pete did have one thing in common - egos. But growing up watching Pete I don't think he was guilty of showboating. Possible? Sure. But he was no Chad Johnson. I never saw Pete wearing a "Bet I'm a Shoe-in for the HOF" jacket in the dugout.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-29-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Exaggerations? I was making fun of people who are trying to say that he is hurting the team chemistry, but have nothing to back that up with aside from "analyzing" his celebrations.

It all boils down to people having nothing to talk about. Chad Johnson is a top receiver in all of the NFL. While a poster above might not want him on their team, any coach/gm/owner/etc. in the NFL would want him on their team. We are a bad team with very few bright spots, and he happens to be one of them. Sorry you guys don't see it that way. This situation is exactly like Adam Dunn's. People want to hate him, but you won't find a statistic or situation where he has hurt his team.

Adam Dunn strikes out too much, and Chad Johnson talks too much. I love them both, if i'm exaggerating or not.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You never cease to amaze with your exaggerations.

And you keep throwing that "other team's fans" reasoning out there and it just doesn't wash. It has nothing to do with the fact that he is a Bengal. I could care less whose uniform he's wearing. If he was pulling these shenanigans as a Brown, my position wouldn't change. I just don't care for what I perceive to be selfish and showboating players who seem to like to draw attention to themselves. It reeks of ego. And I bet if he wore a Steeler or Brown uniform you wouldn't be defending him; but would be leveling some of the same accusations you trying to lambaste others for holding.
    That is TeamSelig for you.

Criticize one of his teams and you are only doing so because you don't like the team.

But when you try to defend your own team against his baseless comments he'll claim you are just being a homer.

Chad Johnson: the Adam Dunn of the Bengals?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Chad Johnson: the Adam Dunn of the Bengals?
    Touchdowns are rally killers and he sucks on defense. We need to trade him for anything that resembles scrappy.

Turn Off Ads?