Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 226

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

  1. #151
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Exaggerations? I was making fun of people who are trying to say that he is hurting the team chemistry, but have nothing to back that up with aside from "analyzing" his celebrations.
    Look. Neither you or I know if it's hurting team chemistry or not. I admit it's subjective. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. And no one who disagrees with Johnson's behavior has stated it's the reason why the Bengals are 4-7. Show me where it has been stated? Blame can be aimed in many other areas that is for sure.

    I personally could care less if he wants to wear a Mohawk haircut, walk around with his Ocho Cinco or Future HOF jackets on, or his excessive antics after a TD catch.

    I never said those particular types of behavior was bad for the team. I just stated, IMHO, that it shows him to be an egotistical player, and yes, at times, a distraction that this team doesn't need right now. That's all. It is not a reflection on his work ethic or talent.

    And again - it's not just other team's fans who have been saying that. Do you ever listen to Dave Lapham? What did you think of Boomer's comments at halftime this past weekend over the camera stunt? Both have been pretty harsh/critical.

    But you're in denial if you think, and this even goes back to last year and the locker room confrontation after the Pittsburgh loss, to the confrontations he has had this year on the playing field/sidelines with Palmer and Lewis, that it's not having any type of adverse effect. I don't care what you believe, but that "meltdown" in the locker room at halftime was all about Chad upset because he wasn't getting the ball enough. And in that New England game Palmer was running down the field ready to confront Chad. The only thing that stopped him was one of his own lineman grabbing him.

    When Chad wore the Ocho Cinco label over the back of his jersey, who went over, while on the sidelines, and ripped it off, while not looking to pleased about it? Carson Palmer.

    Chad Johnson is a top receiver in all of the NFL. While a poster above might not want him on their team, any coach/gm/owner/etc. in the NFL would want him on their team. We are a bad team with very few bright spots, and he happens to be one of them. Sorry you guys don't see it that way. This situation is exactly like Adam Dunn's. People want to hate him, but you won't find a statistic or situation where he has hurt his team. Adam Dunn strikes out too much, and Chad Johnson talks too much. I love them both, if i'm exaggerating or not.
    Who is debating statistics? T.O. and Keyshawn are/were top receivers in the NFL also, while being complete horse's patoots. Again - if CJ was wearing any other uniform you'd probably be saying the same things many others are.

    Have you ever seen the Keyshawn interview of Chad on ESPN NFL Countdown? Quite tense. I will say that I thought it was pretty hypocritical of Keyshawn, being the maverick that he was, to call Chad out and even say he was being a distraction and hurting the team. But Chad responds that he acts the ways he does because that is how KJ used to be.

    And the Dunn analogy is a terrible one. Sure, there are those out there that don't care for Dunn because they say he strikes out too much, doesn't hit in the clutch, or whatever. Again - we're not talking about performance/talent; but character/behavior. Dunn isn't out there on that field trying to draw attention to himself and carrying an attitude of "it's all about me."
    Last edited by GAC; 11-29-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,344

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IMO, Chad and Pete did have one thing in common - egos. But growing up watching Pete I don't think he was guilty of showboating. Possible? Sure. But he was no Chad Johnson. I never saw Pete wearing a "Bet I'm a Shoe-in for the HOF" jacket in the dugout.
    You're blinder than I thought you were. Running to 1st base on a walk isn't showboating? Spiking the ball in the turf after the third out isn't showboating? I admit, it's not quite as demonstrative as what Chad does but it's still showboating. And Pete was never shy about telling people how good he was. You've probably heard the story about how he was on a plane and they were having problems and he turned to a teammate sitting next to him and told him that if the plane goes down, he's got a lifetime .300 batting average. another quote from Pete was, "I should have the record for the most records."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  4. #153
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're blinder than I thought you were. Running to 1st base on a walk isn't showboating?
    Not IMO, and when the objective was to possibly catch the other team "napping" and add an extra base. I'm not saying it was a great strategy, or one that was very successful; but I don't see that particularly as showboating.

    Spiking the ball in the turf after the third out isn't showboating? I admit, it's not quite as demonstrative as what Chad does but it's still showboating. And Pete was never shy about telling people how good he was. You've probably heard the story about how he was on a plane and they were having problems and he turned to a teammate sitting next to him and told him that if the plane goes down, he's got a lifetime .300 batting average. another quote from Pete was, "I should have the record for the most records."
    That gets back to what I stated earlier about ego (arrogance). You'll never hear me deny that Pete wasn't an arrogant SOB. I just don't see that on the same level of behavior as what we're seeing with Chad, in reference to excessive celebrations.

    I have no problem with athletes celebrating. For example....

    Carlton Fisk watching and waving the ball fair during the '75 WS instead of running to 1B..... Kirk Gibson's pumping his fist rounding 2B after hitting the PH home run, or Clemens when he records the last out and seals a victory.

    Were those guys showboating? Maybe. Some may see it that way. To me that is more adrenalin, getting caught up in the moment, as compared to some scripted "performance" that is being planned prior to the event even happening (i.e. TD), and sometimes involving props. It's the overboard/excessive aspect that I disagree with.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-29-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Look. Neither you or I know if it's hurting team chemistry or not. I admit it's subjective. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. And no one who disagrees with Johnson's behavior has stated it's the reason why the Bengals are 4-7. Show me where it has been stated? Blame can be aimed in many other areas that is for sure.

    I personally could care less if he wants to wear a Mohawk haircut, walk around with his Ocho Cinco or Future HOF jackets on, or his excessive antics after a TD catch.

    I never said those particular types of behavior was bad for the team. I just stated, IMHO, that it shows him to be an egotistical player, and yes, at times, a distraction that this team doesn't need right now. That's all. It is not a reflection on his work ethic or talent.

    And again - it's not just other team's fans who have been saying that. Do you ever listen to Dave Lapham? What did you think of Boomer's comments at halftime this past weekend over the camera stunt? Both have been pretty harsh/critical.

    But you're in denial if you think, and this even goes back to last year and the locker room confrontation after the Pittsburgh loss, to the confrontations he has had this year on the playing field/sidelines with Palmer and Lewis, that it's not having any type of adverse effect. I don't care what you believe, but that "meltdown" in the locker room at halftime was all about Chad upset because he wasn't getting the ball enough. And in that New England game Palmer was running down the field ready to confront Chad. The only thing that stopped him was one of his own lineman grabbing him.

    When Chad wore the Ocho Cinco label over the back of his jersey, who went over, while on the sidelines, and ripped it off, while not looking to pleased about it? Carson Palmer.



    Who is debating statistics? T.O. and Keyshawn are/were top receivers in the NFL also, while being complete horse's patoots. Again - if CJ was wearing any other uniform you'd probably be saying the same things many others are.

    Have you ever seen the Keyshawn interview of Chad on ESPN NFL Countdown? Quite tense. I will say that I thought it was pretty hypocritical of Keyshawn, being the maverick that he was, to call Chad out and even say he was being a distraction and hurting the team. But Chad responds that he acts the ways he does because that is how KJ used to be.

    And the Dunn analogy is a terrible one. Sure, there are those out there that don't care for Dunn because they say he strikes out too much, doesn't hit in the clutch, or whatever. Again - we're not talking about performance/talent; but character/behavior. Dunn isn't out there on that field trying to draw attention to himself and carrying an attitude of "it's all about me."
    I'm not really understanding where you are coming from. You have stated that:

    1) He has good work ethic & talent
    2) He is not bad for the team
    3) Statistically, he is good

    So what is the problem with him then?

    - Ocho Cinco started to help support spanish heritage month, and I don't believe Carson was mad at all, that clothing 'rip off' was as staged as Janet & Justin.

    - The "meltdown" was never proven to be anything more then a rumor as far as I knew.

    - Keyshawn is an idiot, and that cannot be argued.

    As for the Dunn analogy, I think it fits perfectly. They are both good players where fans (team or not) search for their weaknesses, find one that is irrelevent and go to town on them. "Experts" are constantly looking for ways to put down the top players. Just like Peyton Manning couldn't win a superbowl. It's a tiring way to get ratings. But since you turned it into character issues, you could find similarities in the fact that people dog on Dunn for being fat and lazy. Can you not?

    It's really not that big of a deal, I just think people are being a bit harsh on the best receiver we have had in my lifetime.

  6. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    So if there was no Chad Johnson it would be unfair to criticize Darnay Scott?

  7. #156
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,601

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Touchdowns are rally killers and he sucks on defense. We need to trade him for anything that resembles scrappy.
    Steve Tasker = Ryan Freel?
    Go Gators!

  8. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    So if there was no Chad Johnson it would be unfair to criticize Darnay Scott?
    Great point, MaineRed.

  9. #158
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,249

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    So if there was no Chad Johnson it would be unfair to criticize Darnay Scott?
    Darnay Scott was never that great. A good player for a few seasons, but couldn't hold Chad or TJ's jock, and probably not Chris Henry's either.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  10. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Carl Pickens?

  11. #160
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Eddie Brown?

  12. #161
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I'm not really understanding where you are coming from. You have stated that:

    1) He has good work ethic & talent
    2) He is not bad for the team
    3) Statistically, he is good

    So what is the problem with him then?
    It's the over-the-top and excessive celebrations that he choreographs after a TD catch. Their sole intent is to draw attention solely to himself - "look at me".

    Chad Johnson wouldn't be jack, or be in the position he is now (one of the best WRs in the NFL) if he didn't have Palmer, or any good QB, back there throwing him the ball... or other solid receivers drawing coverage away from him, or an O-line protecting that QB and allowing him the time to run the route.

    There are many other factors in that game, during those plays, that help make that happen.

    Secondly - it's when those game time situations aren't going his way, he gets frustrated, and allows his emotions to run amok/get the best of him to the point he not only takes himself out of his game, but his "passion" motivates him into confrontations with other players, whether it's Carson or the head coach. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, one could easily see they were unnecessary and unwanted distractions that a QB, head coach, and team as a whole, don't need to be facing during game time.

    - Ocho Cinco started to help support spanish heritage month
    Fine. Do it at a more appropriate time. Many different ways/avenues in which to do it. It was a violation of NFL rules, and cost him $5000. Rules are rules. And whether it's wearing that sign on his back or getting your team a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty because of these endzone shows, Chad did it intentionally knowing he was breaking the rules, was probably going to get fined, or that his team was going to get penalized. And he doesn't care. Why? IMHO, because it's all about him.

    and I don't believe Carson was mad at all, that clothing 'rip off' was as staged as Janet & Justin.
    Didn't look staged to me. Not by the expression on Palmer's face when he went over and jerked it off.

    - The "meltdown" was never proven to be anything more then a rumor as far as I knew.
    No. The rumor was that there was a physical confrontation in the locker room between CJ and Lewis and Jackson (receivers coach). That aspect was unfounded, and a majority agree that it never happened. But there was a verbal confrontation in that locker room that got pretty heated, and CJ was at the center of it. And their voices were heard and recognized by every media person standing outside that closed locker room door, as well as Dave Lapham who talked about it in length on WLW the next day. I was listening to it.

    - Keyshawn is an idiot, and that cannot be argued.
    Agreed. But Chad has stated he idolized and wanted to be the type of player that guys like Keyshawn, T.O., and Moss are/were.

    But since you turned it into character issues
    Turned it into? It's always been an issue of character (behavior) and nothing else. You're ignoring, or enabling the behavior, simply because he's talented. Separate issues with me. So then how can you criticize other team's "flamboyant" and egotistical players who also demonstrate talent/athletic ability?

    you could find similarities in the fact that people dog on Dunn for being fat and lazy. Can you not?
    No. One's physical characteristics has nothing to do with the way a player acts/behaves on that playing field or in front of the fans/media. And I'm again referring to excessive celebrations intended solely for self promotion. I don't understand why you can't see the difference?


    It's really not that big of a deal, I just think people are being a bit harsh on the best receiver we have had in my lifetime.
    No, it's not a big deal. And talking about it on a sports forum doesn't make it one either. Just another way of passing the time.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #162
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Would any WR be worth anything with a bad QB? That is a given.

  14. #163
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Great points, GAC.

    You say you can't quantify a negative attitude on a team's psyche...

    wonder what the effect of Chad's hissy fit was during the halftime playoff loss to the Steelers two years ago. You can say none just as easily as I can say a bunch.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-29-2007 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #164
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Oh yeah, another thing, don't act like it's only fans of other teams getting tired of Chad's schtick. Me and oneupper--and others--are as big a Bengals fans as anyone else.

    There's plenty of blame to go around with these CLOWNS, as Roy Tucker so adeptly labeled them, and Chad's actions, IN MY OPINION, represent everything that is wrong with the "LEADERSHIP" of this team. Chad Johnson is the perfect microcosm of why the Bengals are the Bungles and why the Patriots are Super Bowl Champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

    Yeah, but you are just frustrated because we are horrible. Not because of Chad.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25