Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's not a generalization, I think everyone sees their team in a different light then they see their opponents, thus they give more slack to their colors and more crap to the others. It's the nature of the beast, we all do it to some extent. Whether defending the antics of the celebration or the skill set of the guys doing the celebration.
    I do agree with you to an extent.

It does make me think about something, though.

You compared Football to Hockey, and Baseball. Both have games that are played more than once per week.

In the NFL, a game is worth more. It's the punctuation of a grueling week of practice, and especially in Chad's case all night film prep. and the like. The guy absolutely lives the game Monday through Saturday. The same can be said for a good majority of NFL players. Not mention the immense physical trauma they will endure later in life.

Like most of the greats, he works harder than most anyone on the team. There have been stories about Chad calling Marvin at 2:30 a.m., not to get bailed out of jail, but to ask about certain coverages, etc. He sleeps in a cot at the stadium some nights.

These stories aren't hard to find, but they do go largely ignored by the Sunday morning pundits. The worst thing someone can say about him off the field is that he eats too much fast food.

Sunday is playtime for the average NFL player. Is it any wonder that we see numerous guys blowing off steam? They aren't all of the so called "thug" variety, either.

Don't get me wrong. Hockey players work their tails off, and I respect that game because of the toughness it requires, but big plays happen more often for them, as well as in Baseball. Games are part of the grind, not the escape from it. Living in a Hockey town, I see what these guys do when they aren't playing. It ranges from Tyler Wright walking around with his kids, to Rusty Klesla doing something I'd rather leave to the imagination. Everyone blows off steam in their own way, and I pay it no mind.

As an aside, what would become of Chris Henry if he were mandated to live with Chad Johnson during the season? Does anyone think we wouldn't see a different person?

That's a leader to me. Celebrations or not.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

If what Chad does is "part of the game" how come Wes Welker doesn't act like that?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    If what Chad does is "part of the game" how come Wes Welker doesn't act like that?
    Because he doesn't want to, it's not his personality. Plenty of players on good teams do, though. How come no one ever makes such a big deal over it when defensive players act like jackasses over every little tackle?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    How come no one ever makes such a big deal over it when defensive players act like jackasses over every little tackle?
    They do. I've stated before that my position is pretty "old school" in that I can't stand the excessive showboating and selfish "me" attitude that has invaded the NFL. No player is an "island" as far as I'm concerned.

I think most fans don't like it.

Do a forum search. You'll find at least four threads alone, started by Bengal fans, on Joey Porter. And they have started numerous threads on other team's players, involving personal behavior/character, that they have found to be objectionable or disagree with.

And again it should be noted that it was a Bengal fan who started this thread on CJ. So it's not like some other team fan is trying to start this controversy.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-01-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yet don't talk about one of their own in Chad Johnson?
    Aren't they? No one being critical of him here is a Bengals fan?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    You tend to take up for your own people, even when you may not be happy with what they're doing.

I'm defending the guy and I'm not a Bengals fan.

When the local teams here do poorly, the superstars get the blame. It's happened for decades. Chad's an easy target because he's so flamboyant and Cincinnati isn't.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When the local teams here do poorly, the superstars get the blame.
    But this criticism of Chad just didn't start this year and with the Bengals losing. Sure, some in the media may be trying to make him the scapegoat; but a majority of objective fans can see right through that. His behavior was being criticised/scrutinized when they were winning too.

But this criticism of Chad just didn't start this year and with the Bengals losing. Sure, some in the media may be trying to make him the scapegoat; but a majority of objective fans can see right through that. His behavior was being criticised/scrutinized when they were winning too.

No, it wasn't. Everybody thought he was cool and funny and great until the team didn't take the next step after that 12-4 year. Sure, some said that they didn't care for the end zone celebrations but nobody called him selfish and a cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Aren't they? No one being critical of him here is a Bengals fan?
    Sorry. I didn't mean to edit my post before you had a chance to respond; but sure, many Bengal fans disagree with Chad's behavior. But when a Bengal fan(s) comes on here and says it's basically no concern, nor the business of, other team fans to be commenting on this situation, when they themselves post threads and make comments on the behavior of other team players, then I find that somewhat hypocritical.

With me, it's not about the fact that it involves a Bengal player. It could be any player.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-01-2007 at 06:56 PM.

No, it wasn't. Everybody thought he was cool and funny and great until the team didn't take the next step after that 12-4 year. Sure, some said that they didn't care for the end zone celebrations but nobody called him selfish and a cancer.
    So which is it?

I don't think the cancer accusations came down till this season, and in large part in thanks to the media; but last year a lot were commenting on Chad, and while recognizing his talent, accused him of being selfish. I don't know where you've been, but this has been talked about and debated for the last year or two in many circles.

And IMHO, Chad thrives on that.

So which is it?

I don't think the cancer accusations came down till this season, and in large part in thanks to the media; but last year a lot were commenting on Chad, and while recognizing his talent, accused him of being selfish. I don't know where you've been, but this has been talked about and debated for the last year or two in many circles.

And IMHO, Chad thrives on that.

I don't think anyone thrives on being called a cancer and blamed for losing.

But when a Bengal fan(s) comes on here and says it's basically no concern, nor the business of, other team fans to be commenting on this situation, when they themsleves post threads and make comments on the behavior of other team players, then I find that somewhat hypocritical.
    Couldn't agree more. There are folks who want to have it both ways. They don't want to hear a bad word about guys like Chad but as you say feel it neccessary to jump on anyone who so much as blinks when they should be doing something else.

Everyone is an expert on all teams but when it comes to THEIR team only they are allowed to comment. I understand if some Cub fan was here bashing the Reds but this isn't BengalZone or Buckeye Zone.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

True or false: Chad Johnson has helped the team more than he has hurt it.

Well, seeing as how he's led the AFC in receiving yards the past few years (and is barely in second place this year), I'd say his performance on the field isn't hurting the Bengals too much. Granted, he's had some drops (some at key times), but he's also had some amazing catches (also, some at key times). Not only that but he draws double- and triple-teams, which free up the other receivers. And how many penalties has he received from his celebrations? Well, there was the one against Tennessee. The Bengals squeaked that one out 35-6, but that was probably luck since Chad Johnson is such a cancer.

As far his personality goes, you don't hear about anyone on the team disliking him. You hear some stories about people disliking players like Odell Thurman and Chris Henry, but I've heard nothing but good things about Chad Johnson from Bengals players. I think the most negative thing I've heard about him in his recent memory from someone on the Bengals is that he needs to work on his downfield blocking (which he's improved on quite a bit this year).

How does he hurt the team's reputation? Well, the Bengals' reputation has basically revolved around Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, Reggie McNeal, Johnathan Joseph, Frostee Rucker, Eric Steinbach, A.J. Nicholson, Matthias Askew, etc. Meanwhile, Chad Johnson hasn't been arrested.

Chad Johnson's jersey sells very well. He gets the Bengals tons of publicity they wouldn't normally have. He isn't over-paid. He gets the job done on the field. Occasionally, he might 'blow up' or show an attitude, but he does it because he cares.

Is Chad Johnson selfish? Well, yeah, maybe a little, but when has it actually hurt the team? When the Bengals win, you don't hear him complain about not getting the ball, but if they lose, you might hear him grumble a bit, but that's only because he feels like he can help the team when he has the ball.

What it all boils down to is that some people, especially in a city like Cincinnati, hate the flamboyancy that Chad Johnson displays, and not only that, people, in general, love to complain. Johnson isn't a problem unless you want to see him that way. The truth is, the Bengals haven't been winning because of the defense.

I don't think anyone thrives on being called a cancer and blamed for losing.
    And I've stated consistently on here that I disagree with that assertion. Causing disruptions at times is not the same as being a cancer IMO. But I just think his flamboyant behavior is the root cause for a lot of the accusations/characterizations that many throw at him. Some, I think, is justified. Some is not. I separate the wheat from the chaff.

I just think he is, at times, his own worst enemy.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-01-2007 at 07:02 PM.

And I've stated consistently on here that I disagree with that assertion. Causing disruptions at times is not the same as being a cancer IMO. But I just think his flamboyant behavior is the root cause for a lot of the accusations/characterizations that many throw at him. Some, I think, is justified. Some is not. I separate the wheat from the chaff.

I just think he is, at times, his own worst enemy.

You and RFS are just grumpy cause these guys don't wear leather helmets anymore.

Not everybody can be like Marvin Harrison and hand the ball off to the official when they score. Just like everybody can't be Chad Johnson and break out a routine when they score. Sure he gets upset when he doesn't get the ball. That's not always necessarily a good thing but I think he honestly believes that the more he gets the ball, the better the team will do. Does he get upset at times? Of course. Happens to the best of them. I've seen Dan Marino chew out receivers for not running he right routes or some transgression. Nobody ever said that Marino was the reason the Dolphins lost. Football is an emotional game played by a lot of high strung guys. Tempers run high. Sometimes guys get upset at their teammates. A lot of times it's out in front of the cameras and the whole world to see. What we don't see or hear about are any apologies that are made in private. If you want to talk about disruptions, talk about the guys who keep getting arrested, not about someone who is an upstanding citizen who works hard on the field and in practice who always wants to get better.

Turn Off Ads?