Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Anyone watching the Chiefs game?

Herm Edwards has to be drunk.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chad Johnson hasn't been the same past few weeks, and everyone said he needs to stop caring about what people say about him. He apparently stopped caring this week, and coincidentally or not, he caught three touchdowns, set a franchise record, and set a personal record. If he produces like he did this week, I can tolerate a 15-yard penalty at a non-crucial time every once in a while.

Also, feel free to say he's not a team player for getting the penalty called against him, but the morale he brought to the team afterward probably did more than enough to offset it.

What's lost in the Chad talk is the way the defense stepped up and kept Tennessee out of the endzone. This was total team domination. If Graham had made his bunny FG it would have been as close to perfect as this team could ever play.

But people, including a 1530 radio host I won't name, will talk about Chad being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Anyone watching the Chiefs game?

Herm Edwards has to be drunk.
    You play to win the game.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    What's lost in the Chad talk is the way the defense stepped up and kept Tennessee out of the endzone. This was total team domination. If Graham had made his bunny FG it would have been as close to perfect as this team could ever play.

But people, including a 1530 radio host I won't name, will talk about Chad being selfish.
    Other than the 15 yard penalty, the only thing I don't like about Chad celebrating is that it gives fodder for those who wish to obfuscate the real problem troubling the Bengals. The Defense may have done a great job today, but there's no way they maintain that performance week-to-week. The lack of consistent play on defense has killed this team. When Marvin Lewis talks about selfish players, everyone looks at Chad, but I guarantee you Marvin includes a number of players of defense in that "selfish" category. Blaming Chad Johnson for this team's woes is like blaming Adam Dunn for the Red's pitching problems.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Blaming Chad Johnson for this team's woes is like blaming Adam Dunn for the Red's pitching problems.
    Yeah, it's like saying your car is in the shop because your windshield wipers are leaving streaks, while making no mention of the blown transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Being from Hollywood and going to Notre Dame, it makes sense why he hates USC.
    Sorry, I still don't get why he hates the University of South Carolina. :

Rem

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yeah, it's like saying your car is in the shop because your windshield wipers are leaving streaks, while making no mention of the blown transmission.
    You mean the two ARENT related to one another?

For what it's worth:

"He deserved it," defensive captain John Thornton said, approving of Johnson's celebration. "He's been working hard. I told him to keep it up. I told him if he needs a penalty to get himself going, go ahead."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    For what it's worth:

"He deserved it," defensive captain John Thornton said, approving of Johnson's celebration. "He's been working hard. I told him to keep it up. I told him if he needs a penalty to get himself going, go ahead."
    Exhibit zz of why the Bengals have no team leaders.

Chad is a team leader, regardless of what anyone thinks. The team responds to his play on the field, both good and bad.

I'm really starting to detest my fellow Bengals fans. Wake up and see things for what they are, not what we want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Chad is a team leader, regardless of what anyone thinks. The team responds to his play on the field, both good and bad.

I'm really starting to detest my fellow Bengals fans. Wake up and see things for what they are, not what we want them to be.
    The fact that Chad Johnson is considered a leader of this team is a big part of the problem.

Talent is lacking in other areas, but me-first football teams don't win Super Bowls. And that attitude starts at the top, with your "leaders."

I've always been under the impression Carson and Willie Anderson are the team leaders, and damn good ones at that.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The fact that Chad Johnson is considered a leader of this team is a big part of the problem.

Talent is lacking in other areas, but me-first football teams don't win Super Bowls. And that attitude starts at the top, with your "leaders."
    That begs the questions: Are "me first" and "team leader" mutually exclusive?

I don't think so. Chad's a leader because he produces more than nearly every other player at his position. He's a leader because of how much opponents have to scheme to stop him. They don't do that for TJ and Henry, at least at nowhere near the same level. They do it for Chad. Why is that? Just because there's no "C" on his chest and he's not a rah rah cheerleader does not mean he's not a leader that guys on the team look up to.

It also begs another question: Is being "me first" a bad thing? To me, the answer is a resounding no. "Me first" does not mean "me only". Chad wants the ball thrown to him in big situations, heck, he needs it. Does he pout when it doesn't? Only when the play fails. If TJ scores a big TD who is usually the first guy there to give him props? Chad. Same goes with Henry and anyone else that scores. When the play doesn't work he's upset because he knows he would have made it. That's a good thing!

"Me first" guys are good. "Me only" guys are bad. I've seen no evidence of Chad being the latter. Does he sometimes get lost in a failure? Yeah, the Arizona fumble comes to mind, but he's hardly the only person to have that fault.

I'll never forget when 1530 radio guy got on Chad when he got tackled inside the 5 and was pouty. OF COURSE HE WAS! He wanted to put the ball in the endzone. You know, the thing that scores 6 points for the team. But no, the reaction is way more important than the intention.
    Last edited by guttle11; 11-26-2007 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I've always been under the impression Carson and Willie Anderson are the team leaders, and damn good ones at that.
    I would bet Carson is disgusted at Chad's behavior more often than not.

Turn Off Ads?