Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Carson has talked about the selfishness on this team a few times.

He's just too classy of a guy to call guys out by name (not that I think Chad is the only guy he was referring to... one of many, more like)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Carson has talked about the selfishness on this team a few times.
    I'd love to get the inside scoop from the locker room on stuff like this. If only Crunutte's blog was good for a little more than the most recent score of the game....

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    . . . The Defense may have done a great job today, but there's no way they maintain that performance week-to-week. The lack of consistent play on defense has killed this team. When Marvin Lewis talks about selfish players, everyone looks at Chad, but I guarantee you Marvin includes a number of players of defense in that "selfish" category. Blaming Chad Johnson for this team's woes is like blaming Adam Dunn for the Red's pitching problems.
    I agree with you on the selfishness thing. For example, almost every game, I notice Justin Smith unnecessarily make an effort to tackle a guy who is already being tackled and clearly going down. There's nothing wrong with that except Justin Smith pushes the guy forward, but if he had done nothing, the player would've fallen backwards, thus helping the Bengals by about two yards or so. Unfortunately, I think Justin Smith's bothered by the franchise tag thing, so he feels a need to get every half-tackle he can to make sure he gets paid top defensive end money.

As for the inconsistency on defense, I'll just say that youth and inconsistency are synonymous. Domata Peko, Robert Geathers, Johnathan Joseph, Leon Hall, Madieu Williams, and most of the linebackers are all very talented and young. In a couple years, assuming the Bengals can keep them all together, I think they can make a very good defensive unit. Until then, I expect some highs and (very) lows. I think the defense looks significantly better over the last few games than they did after the first week.

For all the talk about his selfishness and me-first attitude poisoning the clubhouse, how many times has Chad Johnson been arrested?

I agree with Yachtzee -- his celebrations are only bad because they give critics an easy scapegoat. The problems in the Bengals organization run much, much deeper than Chad Johnson's antics.

BTW - is it possible that a dead-in-the-water team like the Bengals might have actually fed off of Chad's energy and emotion yesterday?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

BTW - is it possible that a dead-in-the-water team like the Bengals might have actually fed off of Chad's energy and emotion yesterday?
    Watching that game, I don't have a doubt that they did.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    For all the talk about his selfishness and me-first attitude poisoning the clubhouse, how many times has Chad Johnson been arrested?

I agree with Yachtzee -- his celebrations are only bad because they give critics an easy scapegoat. The problems in the Bengals organization run much, much deeper than Chad Johnson's antics.

Good post. I agree.

Its amazing that the bengals won, played good D, Chad scored 3 TD's yet people still rip him because he celebrated in the end zone. Look I dont care what the does if he gets in the endzone. Its a heck of a lot better than Madieu celebrating after breaking up a pass when the bengals are down 15!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its amazing that the bengals won, played good D, Chad scored 3 TD's yet people still rip him because he celebrated in the end zone. Look I dont care what the does if he gets in the endzone. Its a heck of a lot better than Madieu celebrating after breaking up a pass when the bengals are down 15!
    Oh, how I long for the days of Artrell Hawkins celebrating a tackle after a 9 yard pass completion.

{well, not really}

Leadership--or lack thereof--starts at the top in any organization.

My father owns his own business. He has told me several times that a leader sets the right example all the time, because every person "below you" is watching you intently and is going to take their cues on how to act/conduct business from the example you set.

Wonder why young guys like Madieu act like they just won the Super Bowl after breaking up a routine play while they're down 15? Same reason Dexter Jackson does it. Same reason Chad Johnson takes 15 yard penalties while the Bengals piss away another season. Marvin tolerates it. The Bengals continue to be an undisciplined joke. ::shrug::

Carson sets a good example, but again, you're never going to succeed in the NFL if everyone isn't clearly pulling in the same direction.

But, please, keep telling me about all the other "REAL PROBLEMS" the Bengals franchise has, and how they're going to fix those problems, when the attitude set by their "team leaders" continues--and WILL CONTINUE--to filter down to everyone else taking their cues from how these "Veterans" behave. ::shrug::
    Last edited by WMR; 11-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.

My father owns his own business. He has told me several times that a leader sets the right example all the time, because every person "below you" is watching you intently and is going to take their cues on how to act/conduct business from the example you set.

Wonder why young guys like Madieu act like they just won the Super Bowl after breaking up a routine play while they're down 15? Same reason Dexter Jackson does it. Same reason Chad Johnson takes 15 yard penalties while the Bengals piss away another season. Marvin tolerates it. The Bengals continue to be an undisciplined joke. ::shrug::

Carson sets a good example, but again, you're never going to succeed in the NFL if everyone isn't clearly pulling in the same direction.

But, please, keep telling me about all the other "REAL PROBLEMS" the Bengals franchise has, and how they're going to fix those problems, when the attitude set by their "team leaders" continues--and WILL CONTINUE--to filter down to everyone else taking their cues from how these "Veterans" behave. ::shrug::
    If leadership is the problem, then the cause is *Marvin Lewis*, not Chad Johnson or Madieu Williams or Chris Henry or any one else.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The REAL problem is defense. Any coincidence that when they play well the team is successful?

And as far as Chad not being a leader, come on. Nobody, according to anybody associated with the team, outworks #85. His drive to be great should be all the leadership the rest of the team needs. If only they would all look up to him.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

While in Army basic training we had a guy that was a bit slow in picking things up. As a result we were often in Georgia clay based on one of his transgressions.

After a few weeks of this the guy was taking some verbal abuse one day in the barracks. One of my bunkmates and I had decided that we had heard enough, we had gathereed a few guys together to walk down and intervene. No doubt a large brawl was going to be the end result of this.

About 1/2 way down to his bunk our DS walked in and stood behind a few of the guys that were harrassing him so we stopped in our tracks. DS asked the group why they were giving the guy all this grief. One guy piped up and said, "Well, the guy is stupid and were tired of him messing up and us paying for it."

What the DS said in return has stuck with me and always will. "How many of you have tried helping him out? That man is on your team and someday he may be the guy who has your back. It's not him that is failing, it's you."

You do everything you can to get yourself prepared, and then you do everything you can to help others prepare. A leader just doesn't make himself better, he makes the people around him better. He amplifies his greatness.

I watched the first Bengals Super Bowl appearence on Roller Skates, at the Skating rink on a 13" B&W TV with a fuzzy signal because my Mom wouldn't let me cancel a Skating Party I had planned on my Birthday.

Chad Johnson scored and then gave the weakest part of the team a 15 yard kick in the nads. Then he and the Head Coach had a little giggle about it.

I have followed the Bengals for nearly 30 seasons now, and I am beginning to consider what it would mean to turn in my Stripes.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wow. Calling LenDale White a thug? What has LenDale White did to deserve being called a thug? What idiot announcer made that comment?
    FWIW, the slip up came right after White kneed Deltha in the helmet. The late hit was obvious, but it happens. I don't think it was any more malicious than normal. Hitting somebody in the head is childish. That is where I believe the comment came from. The comment was however uncalled for.

You must also remember that these announcers will interview the players leading up to the game. Maybe he displayed "thuggish" behavior during the interview. I don't know, just speculation. I don't know much about White's past.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Chad Johnson scored and then gave the weakest part of the team a 15 yard kick in the nads. Then he and the Head Coach had a little giggle about it.
    You could also say that Chad Johnson scored, then put on a energetic display of emotion that inspired himself and his teammates to perform at a high level. That's how it appeared to me, and the results of the game seem to support that idea.

It's almost seems like Johnson's TD celebrations have the same effect as a hockey fight. It's against the rules and penalizes the team a small amount, but it also gets them fired up and brings the play up a level. If jumping on a camera platform helped inspire a 35 point outburst it was more than worth the 15 yards.

Turn Off Ads?