Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

Re: Chad: I'm done celebrating TD's until the Bengals get back to .500

And let's not forget the utterly forgettable kick coverage unit of the Bengals. Whose to say that without Chad's penalty, the Titans wouldn't have had the ball at the 40 anyway.

In another shocker, the Cincinnati media blows up a non-story involving one of it's best, most talented athletes. Yawn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I understand that winning cures all, but what I don't understand is how when the bengals are winning, its just Chad having fun, but when they are losing, it is Chad showing that he is a problem in the clubhouse. Its either one or the other. He is either a problem, or he is just having harmless fun. I think that vedict should go out the the players opinion, not the talking heads. Besides, how many time have the won a game that you can say they won despite Chad. You can't. Even if you take away the yards he "gives away" in penalties, he is still an elite reciever. Yeah, he hasn't had his best year, but that has to go in with a lack of a running game until recently. Its awfully hard to play a one dimensional game.

The Bengals season is a lot simplier to understand the Bengals' struggles when you take into account the injuries and suspensions on defense. This team was missing two huge cogs to a winning team. A running game, and an adequet defense. It found both against the Titans. Why does everybody want to blame Chad. He is the reason the offense is amoung the elite. He has nothing to do with how may yards the D gives up or the big plays the D gives up or stopping the run. Did he injure any of the LBs? Did he make Henry and Thurman act in a manner that would warrant suspensions by the NFL. No, he didn't. Chad is a scapegoat and so is Marvin. Marvin and Chad are the reasons, along with Palmer, that we believed this was a playoff caliber team.

All along, we knew the only thing that would keep this team out of the playoffs was possibly the Defense. That is exactly what happened. The defense failed and this team has proven that you go nowhere when you have tons of injuries and no defense. The offensive woes are described by the lack of a running game due to injuries at RB, and the O-line. That forced a more passing oriented attack which was eventually one dimensional and there was a huge hole at the #3 reciever. Cover Chad and TJ, and you could shut down the offense. Add in the pressure of having to win shootouts and you have a recipe for disaster. Again, none of this has to do with Chads TD celebrations. If anything, by criticizing him, I believe he lost the part of the game that made him better than anybody else. The fun. He succeeds because he has fun. He works harder than most players at being the best, and that is well documented. Chad, IMO is exactly the type of player that this team needs right now. The type that won't settle until he is the best. If everybody worked as hard as Chad at just being the best at their respective positions, you'd be looking at a different team. Chad is a leader by example in working to become the best, and having fun. He may not be a vocal, no nonsense, keep everybody in line leader like some want, but I don't think he has to be. That is what they got Dexter Jackson for. Thay is what Marvin is there for. That is why Carson is there. Chad's position isn't one of a leader. Chad's position is one of results, which he delivers every year. If he wants to celebrate while putting up HOF type numbers while in Cincy, then I say let him. You can't call Chad the problem. The problem is that people would rather blame Chad than face the fact that this team was more unlucky than anything. When the Difference between a sub .500 club and a Playoff contender is so slim that a couple of unlucky plays can make a difference, then losing so many players to injury is just crippling. Especially when the players you lose are part of a defense that was not that good to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I understand that winning cures all, but what I don't understand is how when the bengals are winning, its just Chad having fun, but when they are losing, it is Chad showing that he is a problem in the clubhouse.
    This is the real hypocrisy of the situation. In 2005 the national media and fan base loved his "Who Can Stop 85?" list and his celebrations. In my opinion, his "games" were viewed as nothing but fun and as an energizer for the team. Now the Bengals are losing and yesterday everyone ripped Chad Johnson.

I, too, have become tired of his act but its not the touchdown celebrations but the lack of celebrations (and touchdowns) that are the issue with me. This year he has taken the criticism to heart and has seemed excessively moody which has led to mistakes and blow ups.

IMO, every team has players like Chad that are both selfish and great. When you win all is great but when you lose it falls apart quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It's almost seems like Johnson's TD celebrations have the same effect as a hockey fight. It's against the rules and penalizes the team a small amount, but it also gets them fired up and brings the play up a level. If jumping on a camera platform helped inspire a 35 point outburst it was more than worth the 15 yards.
    I don't think they always work that way, but I think this particular celebration did. The team was mired in a miserable slump and needed something to fire them up. Mission accomplished.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

And Chad is on pace, statistically, to have his most productive season yet in terms of catches and yards. It's not as if his production has dropped and he is acting like a clown. He is as good as ever, it's just the defense can't stop anybody.

It seemed to me that even though Chad got a 15 yard penality for his celebration that it did more good than bad. It looked like it ignited the bengals and they looked like they were having fun again. They beat the heck out of a playoff conteneing team and looked good in doing so. This was the team a lot of us expected this year. If Chad can ignite the team like that the good for him. 3 TD's, a win, and one 15 yard peanality, I will take that any day of the week.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You could also say that Chad Johnson scored, then put on a energetic display of emotion that inspired himself and his teammates to perform at a high level. That's how it appeared to me, and the results of the game seem to support that idea.
    I like Chad Johnson, he is a very special football player. He does things that few other receivers in the league can. I think his intentions are good, but his delivery is lacking when it comes to his celebrations.

Walking over to a camera and "filiming" the crowd inspired himself and his teammates to perform at a high level? If that has even a smidgen of truth to it this team is far worse off than I give it credit for.

Personally I think quite alot of the team is tired of the shtick.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    For what it's worth:

"He deserved it," defensive captain John Thornton said, approving of Johnson's celebration. "He's been working hard. I told him to keep it up. I told him if he needs a penalty to get himself going, go ahead."
    When I read this yesterday, and how other players knew ahead of time about this camera incident and supported it, it simply made me laugh while shaking my head.

He needs a penalty to "get himself going"?

What's he going to need next week?.... and the week after?

Talk about placating (enabling) a player.

I agree with what former Bengal Boomer Esiason stated yesterday during halftime.... He needs to stop it. He is being selfish, and it's not helping his team out one bit. Your team is 3-7, chances of the playoffs are slim, you haven't had a TD catch since September, and when you finally score a TD you pull a stunt like this that costs your team a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty?

It's stupid.

He's starting to remind me of that manic-depressive character, up one minute, down the next, that Baby Face Nelson character Michael Badalucco played in O Brother Where Art Thou?

He's gonna crash and burn at some point IMO.

No, Chad Johnson is not the reason they Bengals are having a lousy year. His talent is not an issue or in question here. It never has been. But his antics certainly aren't helping matters any.

This team does lack leadership IMO, and if one wants to lay that at the feet of Lewis then I won't argue with you.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When I read this yesterday, and how other players knew ahead of time about this camera incident and supported it, it simply made me laugh while shaking my head.

He needs a penalty to "get himself going"?

What's he going to need next week?.... and the week after?

Talk about placating (enabling) a player.

I agree with what former Bengal Boomer Esiason stated yesterday during halftime.... He needs to stop it. He is being selfish, and it's not helping his team out one bit. Your team is 3-7, chances of the playoffs are slim, you haven't had a TD catch since September, and when you finally score a TD you pull a stunt like this that costs your team a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty?

It's stupid.

He's starting to remind me of that manic-depressive character, up one minute, down the next, that Baby Face Nelson character Michael Badalucco played in O Brother Where Art Thou?

He's gonna crash and burn at some point IMO.

No, Chad Johnson is not the reason they Bengals are having a lousy year. His talent is not an issue or in question here. It never has been. But his antics certainly aren't helping matters any.

This team does lack leadership IMO, and if one wants to lay that at the feet of Lewis then I won't argue with you.
    Completly disagree with you. Football players feed off emotion whether you like that or not. As for chad being manic-depressive I also disagree. He has been in a slump for a while now and across all of sports I have never seen a happy athlete when they are in a slump. It takes all kinds of things to bust out of a slump, if Chad's 15 yard penality busted him out of his slump I would say it was well worth it. If Chad's 15 yard penality ignited the team, I would say its well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I like Chad Johnson, he is a very special football player. He does things that few other receivers in the league can. I think his intentions are good, but his delivery is lacking when it comes to his celebrations.

Walking over to a camera and "filiming" the crowd inspired himself and his teammates to perform at a high level? If that has even a smidgen of truth to it this team is far worse off than I give it credit for.

Personally I think quite alot of the team is tired of the shtick.

GL
    Actually, I believe scoring the touchdown and celebrating it like he used to announced that he was "back", as it were. You don't think that injected some much-needed emotion into the team?

And it doesn't sound like his teammates are all that tired of it when his defensive captain tells him to go ahead and do it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm sure there are those who will not agree but I think you can equate it to a basketball coach purposely getting a technical foul in order to fire up the team. You can look at it in a vacuum and say that the coach cost his team a possession and some foul shots or you can look at the big picture and see that it may have lit a fire under his team.

I kind of an old guy and would certainly rather, in a perfect world, have Chad score and hand the ball to the official like he'd "been there before" but that's not how he plays the game. He uses the celebrations to fire himself up and motivate himself and his teammates. He certainly fires up the home crowd when he does it.

Is what Chad does any different than the hot dogging Pete Rose did? Pete ran to first on a walk to fire himself up and to give an example of playing hard at all times. He used to spike the ball on the turf as he passed by the pitching mound if he caught the final out of an inning. All of this was showboating and the rest of the league hated him--but the rest of the league also respected him because they knew he was a great player. And I suspect if he was a bad player, the showboating would have been noticed less, as it would with Chad.

And if these talented guys like to do such things and are instrumental in their team winning with their play, then I really do not get the complaining about a little hot dogging that has a minimum, if any negative impact on their team (I suppose someone who wants the spotlight is probably envious of Chad on the team), and may even at times light a fire under them.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Is what Chad does any different than the hot dogging Pete Rose did? Pete ran to first on a walk to fire himself up and to give an example of playing hard at all times. He used to spike the ball on the turf as he passed by the pitching mound if he caught the final out of an inning. All of this was showboating and the rest of the league hated him--but the rest of the league also respected him because they knew he was a great player. And I suspect if he was a bad player, the showboating would have been noticed less, as it would with Chad.
    In my defense my Mom brought home a Pete Rose shirt in my size when I was about 7 or 8. I refused to wear it. Morgan, Bench, Concepcion, or Perez would have been great.

Pete showboating didn't add any outs or start the next guy off with an 0-1 count.

And if these talented guys like to do such things and are instrumental in their team winning with their play, then I really do not get the complaining about a little hot dogging that has a minimum, if any negative impact on their team (I suppose someone who wants the spotlight is probably envious of Chad on the team), and may even at times light a fire under them.
    He can dance all he wants on the sideline and I'll laugh right along with everyone else. I personally draw the line when he gets 15 Yd penalties.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Completly disagree with you. Football players feed off emotion whether you like that or not.
    Sure football players feed off of emotion. What Chad is doing has nothing to do with "feeding" off his emotion as much as it's feeding his self-serving ego.

How many times this year, and last, have we all witnessed this guy, on the field, throw temper tantrums, pout, and get in confrontations with his head coach, QB, and other players on the sideline? Explain to me how that fires up, motivates, your team?

If I allow my emotions to control/rule me to the point that it's a distraction to others, while making me out to be a horse's ass, is that a good thing?

No one, including me, denies this guy's talent. But I follow the Bengals pretty avidly also. And there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that this guy is not being a distraction and at times a "headache" for this head coach and various members of this team. Maybe they won't publically come out and say that; but when I hear Lewis and various other Bengal players, during interviews, allude to selfish play/attitudes, I think everyone knows who is being alluded to.

If Chad's 15 yard penality ignited the team, I would say its well worth it.
    If it takes a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty to "ignite" your team, then I'd say your team has far worse problems. And I think that is an insult to the abilities/talent that is on this team.... that you need a penalty to somehow fire your team up and possible get it back on course.

What are some of you going to think if, at some point, a Johnson 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty doesn't work out to the Bengals' advantage and ends up costing them? Are you still going to defend him?

I guarantee you that Lewis wasn't happy with the penalty.

And let me ask one further question.... looking at all the antics that Chad has done - which don't win ballgames by the way - have they overall helped/effected the team in a positive way, or effected them more in a negative way? Explain.

I just simply find it funny how many Bengal fans are defending this guy's action because he is one of your own. Yet when it comes to other team's players, such as a Joey Porter, T.O., and many other flamboyant, self-serving, and downright egotistical players, you've had no problem in the past in lambasting them, deploring their actions, and labeling them as such.

But not Chad Johnson. He's just misunderstood. What he is doing is simply "having fun" and "entertaining."

I know, as Bengal fans, you can't stand the Browns; but to show that I'm not simply picking on Chad, or the fact he is a Bengal, let me relate a similar situation that happened last season with Braylon Edwards. I wish I could find the article/link, because I would post it.

My disgust has everything to do with a player's actions/behavior, and has nothing to do with Chad Johnson personally. But I want to show my objectivity, and that my position on this is consistent. I don't care who it is, or what team he plays for.

Edwards came back in '06 after being injured the previous year. And he came out on fire. But he was also costing the team with his excessive celebrations after making catches, and was nailed several times, in very critical situations/drives with 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalties. I know of two games in particular where he killed scoring drives because of his antics.

What happened? The head coach, as well as several of the veteran players, cornered him in the locker room and basically came down on him, told him that he, as well as this team as a whole, are in no position to be celebrating anything, that it's hurting the team, and causing one huge distraction. Stop it! And the message was received. I've seen the change in Edwards.

All I'm saying is that Chad is one talented athlete. He doesn't need to "express his emotions" in the antics we've witnessed in order to stay on top of his game, or to motivate this team.

The Bengals are a talented team. I'm just as perplexed as to what has been going on with them this year as everyone else. Their defense is bad (but the Brown's is worse). Maybe it is a culmination of all the "distractions" that have gone on since last year with various player troubles and losing key guys. I don't know. It ain't all Chad Johnson, but IMO he ain't helping matters.

And maybe it is, as some have already alluded to, a leadership problem, and that does come back to Marvin Lewis.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-27-2007 at 09:16 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

If it takes a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty to "ignite" your team, then I'd say your team has far worse problems. And I think that is an insult to the abilities/talent that is on this team.... that you need a penalty to somehow fire your team up and possible get it back on course.
    It's not the actual penalty, though. It's the act itself. It loosened the team up. It let them see that, even though we're not winning a lot, it's ok to have fun out there. They did, and they played much better.

I saw a player on the Vikings mention that the fans care more about the results than the players, and I think that's pretty much spot on. Not in a "winning isn't important" way, but in a "this is a game" way. Losing isn't that big of a deal, but to a lot of fans, it is. They pay their money (in a lot of cases more than they can afford) and many want blood when they don't get the result they desire (we're all guilty of it from time to time at varying degrees). The players go home to their families.

Turn Off Ads?