Thread: Dusty to Marty: "'You and I are not going to have any problem at all"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Dusty to Marty: "'You and I are not going to have any problem at all"

http://www.journal-news.com/s/conten...907inside.html

Brennaman, Baker start off on right foot

By Marc Katz
    Staff Writer

Friday, October 19, 2007

A couple years ago, controversy arose in Chicago between broadcaster Steve Stone and Cubs manager Dusty Baker.
    Stone eventually was fired, and Baker gained the reputation of a manager who couldn't take criticism.

Which brings us to this week's hiring of Baker by the Reds and a potential conflict with broadcaster Marty Brennaman. He calls the game in front of his eyes, not always what management wants to hear, and does a pregame show with the manager, which goes well beyond "Who's pitching today?"

Well, Brennaman assures there will be no conflict after taking a cell-phone call from Baker on the way to a golf outing Monday morning.

"He said, 'You and I are not going to have any problem at all,' " Brennaman said. " 'You ask whatever questions you want.' "

Brennaman gave Baker the same speech he gives all new managers.

"It's just like I told Lou Piniella standing at the bar in Suttmiller's (on the Reds' caravan in Dayton) in 1990," Brennaman said. "I told him, 'I will never make you look bad, but I'm going to ask you questions.'"

Brennaman said Piniella told him, "You ask whatever you want to ask and don't worry about it."

Baker also told Brennaman he never had a problem with any media member in 14 years as a major-league manager, except for Stone, a problem he said he'd explain to Brennaman later.

That's good news, for now. If Homer Bailey throws 130 pitches one night and his arm falls off, we'll revisit the story.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty to Marty: "'You and I are not going to have any problem at all"

We shall see.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Marty is a classy guy and has a deep passion for the Reds. Sometimes he has no clue on air what he is talking about. I just hope posters on this thread don't take his sometimes stupid baseball views as something about his personal class. He is one of the nicest gentleman you will ever meet. Problem is he is somewhat from an old school generation and people think his criticism is personal. It's not. Never has been. I defend him more than anyone on this board and it's because I've met him personally and been treated very respectfully by him in multiple occasions. He loves the overall ability of Adam Dunn and yet somehow he is considered to hate the guy like he's Hitler. That just isn't true. He just harps on the negative more than the positive and for that I understand the Redszone angst against Marty.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Joe Torre would have bought Marty a gold watch.

If I recall correctly, Vern Rapp was the only manager who wouldn't do a pregame show with Marty. That was back in 84' but I am pretty sure that was the case.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Marty is a classy guy and has a deep passion for the Reds. Sometimes he has no clue on air what he is talking about. I just hope posters on this thread don't take his sometimes stupid baseball views as something about his personal class. He is one of the nicest gentleman you will ever meet. Problem is he is somewhat from an old school generation and people think his criticism is personal. It's not. Never has been. I defend him more than anyone on this board and it's because I've met him personally and been treated very respectfully by him in multiple occasions. He loves the overall ability of Adam Dunn and yet somehow he is considered to hate the guy like he's Hitler. That just isn't true. He just harps on the negative more than the positive and for that I understand the Redszone angst against Marty.
    I agree with you about Marty as a person. My family met him in Chicago when I was about 12 years old. We stayed in the same hotel with the reds and Marty took the time to tell my dad and I where to go, what to do, what time to get to the game, etc. He treated us like a friend.

It will be interesting to see how Marty and Dusty get along. Ever since Bowden and the tell all ownership left Marty and the beat writers have been a little sour. They have become more skeptical and have talked about players and moves in a more negative manner. It has almost become well I like you so I am going to portray you in a better light than someone else (Norris Hopper). I hope the reds show some potential next season and Marty loses his synical ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I agree with you about Marty as a person. My family met him in Chicago when I was about 12 years old. We stayed in the same hotel with the reds and Marty took the time to tell my dad and I where to go, what to do, what time to get to the game, etc. He treated us like a friend.

It will be interesting to see how Marty and Dusty get along. Ever since Bowden and the tell all ownership left Marty and the beat writers have been a little sour. They have become more skeptical and have talked about players and moves in a more negative manner. It has almost become well I like you so I am going to portray you in a better light than someone else (Norris Hopper). I hope the reds show some potential next season and Marty loses his synical ways.

Likewise.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Worth The Wait

Marty is a classy guy and has a deep passion for the Reds.
    I think that sentece should read: "Marty is a classy guy and has a deep passion for the Reds, as well as a deep passion for Marty.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    We stayed in the same hotel with the reds and Marty took the time to tell my dad and I where to go,
    I love taking things out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    He just harps on the negative more than the positive and for that I understand the Redszone angst against Marty.
    That would be the key phrase...
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I love it...

This sure as hell beats the crap we've been dealing with...."managers" we could have outmanaged...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    That would be the key phrase...
    If "harping on the negative" involves Griffey's great year and Phillips should be the Gold Glove winner...then "harping" away

Barney Fife promoted to sheriff, that's how Marty strikes me. Sheriff Franchester Fife.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It is funny though...people in this town say the media is soft, and they don't ask tough quesions...they ask softball questions to coaches, managers, players...whatever, and in return get softball answers.

Of course if it's Marty asking the tough questions, or not being "soft"...he gets ripped for it for being "too critical"

Somebody's got to do it.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It is funny though...people in this town say the media is soft, and they don't ask tough quesions...they ask softball questions to coaches, managers, players...whatever, and in return get softball answers.

Of course if it's Marty asking the tough questions, or not being "soft"...he gets ripped for it for being "too critical"

Somebody's got to do it.
    You have to admit that Marty asks a lot tougher questions than the rest of the Cincinnati media. It has paid off in non-answers most of the time. I hope Dusty is different in this regard.

Turn Off Ads?