3B
    CF

Pitching

4.76 ERA (13th NL)
    .346 OB (14th NL)
    .451 SLG (14th NL)
    .691 DER (19th MLB)

Strengths:

Cole Hamels (3.39 ERA, .686 OPS against)

Holes:

Potentially everyone not named Cole Hamels

Advanced Prospects

J.A. Happ - P
    Mike Costanzo - 3B
    Carlos Carrasco - P
    Josh Outman - P
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GM Project 2007 - Philadelphia Phillies

If ever a team needed to spend money on Free Agents its the Phillies. Lots of money going off the books with Rowand, Lieber, Garcia, Mesa, Lohse, and Iguchi , a few holes to fill and little depth to trade for much. They probably have the money to make a run at A-Rod and 3B is wide open, but they should resist and use money to help the pitching, add some depth, and maybe try to extend the unappreciated Pat Burrell (Philly version of Adam Dunn).

1. Move Brett Myers back to the rotation.
    2. Sign Curt Schilling to a two year deal and let him go out in Phily.
    3. Go all in on Francisco Cordero.
    4. Hand the RF job to Jayson Werth.
    5. Give CF to Shane Victorino.
    6. Get by 3B with Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms and maybe a ho-hum Free Agent.
    7. Sign Jeremy Affeldt as a bullpen lefty
    8. Sign some bench help. Eric Hinske would look good here with his ability to play 3B, 1B and corner OF spots in a pinch with some pop in his bat. Russell Branyan is another option. A cheap MI who doesn't need to play much is needed (I'm rooting for a Juan Castro to Philly for a PTBNL deal).
    9. Sign a catcher - maybe Torrealba would fit. If Jason Kendall would come cheap and for only a year or two he may be worth a flyer. Ramon Castro could be an option.

SS - Rollins (S)
    CF - Victorino (S)
    2B - Utley (L)
    1B - Howard (L)
    LF - Burrell (R)
    RF - Werth (R)
    3B - Dobbs (L)
    C - Torrealba (R)

Helms 3B/1B (R)
    Hinske 3B/1B/LF/RF
    Bourne OF(L)
    Ruiz C (R)
    Nameless, Faceless Cheap MI

Hamels
    Schilling
    Myers
    Moyer
    Kendrick

Closer - Cordero
    Set-up - Gordon, Affeldt
    Middle Innings - Geary, Madson, Mateo, et al
    Long Relief - Eaton

This team should have the offense, the pitching and the pen to contend as long as Myers can become what he was as a starter and Schilling has a year or two of decent pitching left. If Jayson Werth can stay on the field, IMO he'll be a beast in Philly. Eaton in the pen and Happ and maybe Carrasco in the minors give them a little depth for the rotation. Hinske, Helms and Dobbs provide decent depth at the corner spots and Bourne is a pretty good alternative in CF. Utley and Rollins must stay healthy. The trio of Hamels, Myers and Schilling could be the best top 3 in the NL if Myers could make a successful return to starting.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I think they're pretty happy with Ruiz at catcher. He's cut from the same mold as Torrealba and he's dirt cheap.

I'd fear Cordero would snap in Philly. It's a tough town for closers. But what about Mariano?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

The Phillies farm system depresses me greatly. There is absolutely nothing on the horizon, and even the "Advanced Prospects" M2 listed in the first post are either years away (Carrasco, Outman) or horribly flawed (Costanzo). And even the other top "prospects", like Cardenas, Carpenter, and Savery are years away, and are far from sure bets. Kyle Drabek's lost season sure didn't help, either.

As far the big league club, I agree with a lot of what mth123 wrote. Myers needs to be back in the rotation, and they should work on bringing Schilling back. I think all things being equal, Schilling would welcome a return to Philadelphia. And since the Phillies need another starter, it only seems natural to try and bring him back. Rolling into a short playoff series with Hamels/Schilling/Myers is a lot more intimdating than Hamels/Kendrick/Moyer. Granted, the way the Rockies are playing, I'm not sure how much of a difference it really would have made.

While the Phillies do have some money coming off the books (an additional $4.5 million has already been created by eliminating the utterly useless Rod Barajas and Abraham Nunez), Ryan Howard has a pay raise due to him this off-season, so the Phillies need to figure out whether they want to lock him up long-term, or just keep offering arbitration and take it on a year-by-year basis. And while I would like to see the team cut ties with Rowand and let Victorino start in center, I think they'll be bringing him back. As PR conscious as the Phillies front office is, I don't see them letting a fan favorite leave town. It sounds like the Phillies are offering Rowand 3yr $30 million, but Rowand wants something in the neighborhood of 6yrs at $84 million. Either way, it's entirely too much, especially given the dis-array the pitching staff is in.

As for Pat Burrell, I really don't know what the team should do. I've always been a Burrell fan, but he just turned 31, and given his skill set and list of comparables, it really doesn't seem likely he'll be playing into his late 30s. If the Phillies could extend him for another 2 years, I'd be ok with that, but any longer could have the potential for disaster.

I would absolutely love for them to go after Rivera, and have to believe that they will make a strong push for him. The Phillies have always had a bizarre obsession with old closers (Mesa, Alfonseca, Gordon, Roberto Hernandez, etc), so I'm sure they're fascinated by Rivera, but unlike many of the past failures with old relievers, Rivera should still be a dominant force for at least a few more years. Plus, getting a top-notch closer would make it even easier for them to push Myers back into the rotation.

After that, I'm fine with them giving JC Romero another shot as the main lefty out of the bullpen, and even giving Zagurski another shot as the other lefty out of the pen. Admittedly, I haven't taken a good look to see who will be available in free agency as far as RH relievers go, but I'm sure there are plenty of better options than Alfonseca, Kane Davis, Clay Condrey, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think they're pretty happy with Ruiz at catcher. He's cut from the same mold as Torrealba and he's dirt cheap.

I'd fear Cordero would snap in Philly. It's a tough town for closers. But what about Mariano?
    Ruiz is ok and they could go with he and Coste again and be ok. I listed Catcher last because its the least likely place to find an upgrade in this year's free agent class. Rivera instead of Cordero would be ok as well. Probably would be a little cheaper or at least a shorter commitment, but a solid closer that would allow Myers to go back to the rotation is a must. They need to go all in for somebody because the options for starters while leaving Myers in the pen are much worse.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?