Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't the Reds wait?

Why didn't the Reds wait?

I am one who is going to give Dusty a chance. But why did the Reds rush to hire Dusty before seeing who the available managers would be? What baseball business can be done during the playoffs? Torre said at his press conference that he wouldn't expect Yankee money from another team. How much then? Too bad the Reds will never have a chance to interview him at least and find out.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Why didn't the Reds wait?

I'm guessing that if you wait, you may end up with someone you don't want.

Or, they likely wanted Dusty.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Considering they've been after Dusty since July...I wouldn't say they didn't really jumped the gun.

And up to a couple of days ago, was anyone actually sure that Torre wouldn't be back?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    And up to a couple of days ago, was anyone actually sure that Torre wouldn't be back?
    The media tornado was he was going to get fired, and this started after George's comments during the first round of the playoffs......

I figured the longer that process took, the better it favored Torre getting an extension or something...

He didn't quite get that, but didn't get fired either...

Did they want him since July? It's my impression that he was contacted then, but that the push was very recent. And still, why not wait to decide who you want after interviewing the best candidates available? I bet Torre goes to St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    The question remains: why not wait and see? No team (unless playing now) has any need for a manager. Simply nothing is done on a baseball level during the playoffs.

The push may have been more recent, but I think he was the guy they were after from the day they fired Narron...Maybe Pete's "interim" was an audition of sorts, but I figured from day one he wasn't going to be the guy...

Bob wanted a big name....Bob wanted a guy who has won.....

Hence, their persistance....and the money they gave him.

It seems for the second staight year Bob has gotten things he wanted....the broadcasting team that, honestly, from a national perspective, is pretty "big name"...and now the manger...

The next step is the team.

He's been all about making this organization top notch from day one. from top to bottom....and it doesn't happen overnight...

It's coming. It really is. I truely believe that

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Considering they've been after Dusty since July...I wouldn't say they didn't really jumped the gun.
    Ya, I think the answer to the question posed in the thread title is that Dusty was their guy. They probably didn't want to wait in case he was on someone else's radar. Also, the more job openings, in theory, the more leverage Dusty would have during contract negotiations.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

The Reds got the guy they wanted. They didn't wait, because Dusty was who they wanted. As Matt said, they started talks in July. The Reds spent 4M a year to get their guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The push may have been more recent, but I think he was the guy they were after from the day they fired Narron...Maybe Pete's "interim" was an audition of sorts, but I figured from day one he wasn't going to be the guy...

Bob wanted a big name....Bob wanted a guy who has won.....

Hence, their persistance....and the money they gave him.

It seems for the second staight year Bob has gotten things he wanted....the broadcasting team that, honestly, from a national perspective, is pretty "big name"...and now the manger...

The next step is the team.

He's been all about making this organization top notch from day one. from top to bottom....and it doesn't happen overnight...

It's coming. It really is. I truely believe that
    The next step is owning their broadcast rights outright and simply using the airwaves of WLW.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

What made Torre a "big name" manager? His overall winnning percentage, prior to coming to the Yanks, was under .500. I'm just not that big on Torre, and don't understand why some think we missed the boat somehow.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-20-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I bet Torre goes to St. Louis.
    There is a history...

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

We all have been in a position to make poor decisions we just couldn't wait to make.

Dusty will do just fine. It's a done deal. Next.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The Reds got the guy they wanted. They didn't wait, because Dusty was who they wanted. As Matt said, they started talks in July. The Reds spent 4M a year to get their guy.
    Not to contradict you, and I think you're right, but I think it's a little bit arrogant for the Reds to say they know who they want without conducting interviews of the best out there--it is possible Torre could have come into an interview and outlined an approach for the club that would be more appealing, and achievable, than Dusty. Not saying it would definitely happen, but in my view, if any position on the club requires an extensive interview process, it's the manager. I'm seeing Krivsky alternate between confidence, which is good, and rashness, which is bad. It's a fine line, and not easy, but I think his weaknesses are becoming clear.

Turn Off Ads?