Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I want a Caveman for manager
    Maybe Joel is available?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Obviously Redszone is not high on this guy but i think it's fair to say there was no concensus choice out there either. In fact all the candidates had major weaknesses, kinda like the Presidential candidates at this time. So is Dusty really worse than what was available, i.e. Brenly, Girardi etc?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I want to know, if this is Wayne's call.

If so, I want him gone more than I ever wanted him gone. More than I wanted him gone after Juan Castro. More than I wanted him gone after "the trade". More than I wanted him gone after Mike Stanton. In fact, if this is his doing, he's worse than Dan O'Brien. Oooooh. Yeah, that's right.

If this is our owners call, there is still hope for Krivsky, but we need a new owner. Quick like.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's very important who the pitching coach is. I'd like to see a strong pitching coach that will strongly sway Dusty on how to handle pitchers. i'd like to say Mazzone but actually he was a guy who thought that high pitch counts were good for building up arm strength.
    Smoltz, Maddux, and Glavin are all still pitching..

Obviously Redszone is not high on this guy but i think it's fair to say there was no concensus choice out there either. In fact all the candidates had major weaknesses, kinda like the Presidential candidates at this time. So is Dusty really worse than what was available, i.e. Brenly, Girardi etc?
    1) He was hired before the WS contestants were even known.

2) He got a 3 year deal.

Those are not the markings of settling for someone. They wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    "I think walks are overrated unless you can run... If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps. But the guy who walks and can't run, most of the time they're clogging up the bases for somebody who can run."
    --Dusty Baker, Cubs manager (Chicago Daily Herald)

"Who's been the champions the last seven, eight years? ...Have you ever heard the Yankees talk about on-base percentage and walks? Walks help. But you ain't going to walk across the plate. You're going to hit across the plate. That's the school I come from."
    --Baker

"It's called hitting, and it ain't called walking. Do you ever see the top 10 walking? You see top 10 batting average. A lot of those top 10 do walk. But the name of the game is to hit."
    --Baker
    Thanks for that. Baker managing is worst case scenarion for the Reds' best offensive player in Adam Dunn. I have a feeling he's going to make another attempt to "fix" him. I wouldn't have minded seeing Pete get the chance over a full year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

So is Dusty really worse than what was available, i.e. Brenly, Girardi etc?
    probably not, for me it just shows an organization stuck in the past that isn't interested in thinking outside the box. If the Reds are to have any success it will come from a rejuvenated farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    The press conference should be interesting, wonder if it will be Bob leading the way, doing all the introductions with Wayne just off to the side.

This has ownership written all over it, but maybe Wayne likes him Dusty
    Go Gators!

What to me makes Dusty worse than the others is his well known abuse of his pitching staffs in the past.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    probably not, for me it just shows an organization stuck in the past that isn't interested in thinking outside the box. If the Reds are to have any success it will come from a rejuvenated farm system.
    or just plain luck.

Whoever decided the only people "available" are big names who have coached before? Hell, there are hundreds of people "available." And there's a reason why these guys are so available.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Retired

Yes. I would have taken either over Baker. Even though the idea of keeping yet another interim manager sickened me, I'd take Mac over Baker.

It can't be stressed enough how truly awful this hire is, especially on a 3 year deal.

Lord, beer me strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    the fact that Jocketty has been offered a job to be WKs boss I can't imagine that this wasn't more Castellini then Krivsky. If BC trusted WK he wouldn't be looking to bring in Jocketty.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    1) He was hired before the WS contestants were even known.

2) He got a 3 year deal.

Those are not the markings of settling for someone. They wanted him.

I agree they wanted him. They can tell you was going to be available after the WS and they grabbed Dusty now. I agree with most of you...I don't know what they see in him...

Turn Off Ads?