Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search update(s) Could it be Dusty?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The hiring of Dusty will mean 3 things:

1) The probability of arm injuries to the Reds pitching staff will go through the roof

2) All of a sudden, the sign above the pro-Krivsky side of the board will read "Vacancy"

3) My new signature will read "Bandwagon's full, please catch another", courtesy of Fall Out Boy.

PS: I cannot stand Dusty Baker. This is not good. Not good at all. It doesn't even matter who the manager is. The roster is still looking like swiss cheese. Fix the roster first.

I think we've actually found a subject we can agree on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Groundballs are good...
    Don't worry, Kirk Saarloos has a higher ground ball percentage than Carlos Silva. Saarloos also has a higher strikeout rate too.

If the Reds pony up the cash to Silva, it'll be Eric Milton, version 2.0.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Don't worry, Kirk Saarloos has a higher ground ball percentage than Carlos Silva. Saarloos also has a higher strikeout rate too.

If the Reds pony up the cash to Silva, it'll be Eric Milton, version 2.0.

Well, when you put it that way......

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    The Reds infield defense is better now than in past years.
    which is faint praise. The team DER is still very low, better to focus on guys who allow fewer balls in play.

Well, when you put it that way......
    Silva's a product of the Metrodump and not much more. If you're serious about Carlos Silva, then you better want to know what he does on the road, and you'll also want to know how the Metrodump's run index (park factor) compares to GABP's run index.

It ain't pretty.

Metrodump Silva: 3.88 ERA, 4.22 DIPS ERA, .746 OPS against
    Away Silva: 4.93 ERA, 4.71 DIPS ERA, .849 OPS against

The Metrodump's park factor since 2005 is 0.95 whereas Great American's park factor since 2005 is 1.13.

I don't even want to imagine what's likely to happen to Carlos Silva if he pitched half his games in Great American, especially with that lackluster strikeout rate and our below average defense mixed in.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I've got a question about this and there is no delicate way to put it.

In the official release first quoted in the thread it says that the REDS would comply with MLB's minority policy and be interviewing such candidates - is Dusty Baker a minority candidate for the REDS to interview just to comply with MLB's policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I've got a question about this and there is no delicate way to put it.

In the official release first quoted in the thread it says that the REDS would comply with MLB's minority policy and be interviewing such candidates - is Dusty Baker a minority candidate for the REDS to interview just to comply with MLB's policy?
    That's what we're all hoping...but I think it's more than that.

I think it's going to be a history making move...

This may not be over yet...

No news

The Reds did not name Dusty Baker -- or Dusty Rhodes for that matter -- as manager Friday. Baker's apparently on his way to Bristol to some studio work for ESPN this weekend.

The fact the Reds haven't made a move on the manager could mean they're going to see what shakes out with Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa. Either would be a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Some of the people I talked to think there could be an unknown candidate. Possible. But I'd be shocked if the Reds would hire someone without a long big league resume -- unless that person is Pete Mackanin.

- Fay

That's what we're all hoping...but I think it's more than that.

I think it's going to be a history making move...

I assume by "history making" you're referring to the largest number of internet nerds in history to jump off the Roebling Bridge at once?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I assume by "history making" you're referring to the largest number of internet nerds in history to jump off the Roebling Bridge at once?
    Ok...2 historical moments.

If Dusty's the guy...he'd be the first African American manager in franchise history

I think Baker just might be a crazy enough solution to work; you treat cancer with radiation; and bipolar disorder with lithium.

He just might be the right shock to the system to deliver the Reds from this torpor.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

This may not be over yet...
    The Reds did not name Dusty Baker -- or Dusty Rhodes for that matter - Fay

"That Juan Castro fella is startin today because he's funky like a monkey, Tony!"
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

"That Juan Castro fella is startin today because he's funky like a monkey, Tony!"
    I'll give a cyber-nickel if you can tell me the name of Dusty Rhodes's girlfriend from his WWF stint back in the eighties.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

maybe if Dusty is hired, this is a sign the wallets will open... nice to dream!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'll give a cyber-nickel if you can tell me the name of Dusty Rhodes's girlfriend from his WWF stint back in the eighties.
    I've fairly well recovered from my addiction to wrestling, but I still do remember that it was Sapphire.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?