Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Alright the dust has settled and its time to ask the most important question, albeit the one everyone seems to be ignoring-why wasn't Earl Weaver brought in for at least an interview?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

You do realize that the second highest paid manager in baseball right now is managing the small market Reds, now...

If nothing else, it does show the Castellini is trying to change the culture and image of this team.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Alright the dust has settled and its time to ask the most important question, albeit the one everyone seems to be ignoring-why wasn't Earl Weaver brought in for at least an interview?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

So empirically, most of the responsibility for pitcher usage does fall on the shoulders of the manager — which means that now might be a good time to trade Homer Bailey in a fantasy league. The moral responsibility, however, might be another matter. It is organizations, after all, who are responsible for hiring their managers. And when you hire a manager like Dusty Baker, one of two things ought to be true: either you’ve considered his philosophy on pitch counts and signed off on it, or you’ve given him the Birds, Bees and Labrums lecture and expect him to change his ways. If the careers of Bailey and Cueto are ruined by high pitch counts, it will be Dusty who pulled the trigger — but the Reds who hired the assassin.
    From BP. They did some fancy analyisis to explore whether it was a managers influence, or the team culture, that had the greatest impact on Pitcher Abuse Points (ie. working the pitching arms hard). I can't possibly begin to explain their methadology and math work, but the above para was the sumation and pretty interesting, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If nothing else, it does show the Castellini is trying to change the culture and image of this team.
    It also shows that the economic system is even more out of whack when a guy who was fired 13 months ago is being paid more then managers with teams in the playoffs.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I. Think. The. Dusty. Signing. Is. Just. Swell.

I. Never. Said. Not. Even. Once. That. I. Would. Take. Hostages.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

So how did the lobotomy go?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    So how did the lobotomy go?

Not a lobotomy. Just a little conditioning by the Reds front office field team.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    You do realize that the second highest paid manager in baseball right now is managing the small market Reds, now...

Pour some money into the pitching staff and it would do more for the image than what Baker is doing.

But I agree with you. I just don't want to see skimping on the players while spending like a drunken sailor on the manager.

BTW, talk about irony, the man who hired Dusty Baker to his first MLB managing job is also the last Reds GM to win a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Here's a now almost ten year old article about Dusty from BP. Pretty interesting read that definitely touches on some of the gripes that many have with Dusty while discussing his managerial style and how it might lead to success nonetheless.
    Thanks for the article pedro.

For one as myself who also harps on the "intangibles" and how they play a part in the game - which also causes me to be at odds, at times, with some who live solely by statistical analysis - I guess I need to give some sort of credence to a manager being able to "inspire" and motivate players.

There are some guys on this roster, including Castro, who are gonna prove to be on helluva task though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Who is the manager with the most wins in his first year managing?

Dusty Baker

What was Dusty's first job managing?

The Scottsdale Scorpions in the AFL in the fall of 1992.

It was there that he met Dick Pole for the first time, he was his pitching coach... Dusty hired him to coach the 1993 Giants staff. The BP coach for that team was Bob Brenly

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thanks for the article pedro.

For one as myself who also harps on the "intangibles" and how they play a part in the game - which also causes me to be at odds, at times, with some who live solely by statistical analysis - I guess I need to give some sort of credence to a manager being able to "inspire" and motivate players.

There are some guys on this roster, including Castro, who are gonna prove to be on helluva task though.
    Maybe his ability to extract better performance out of his players and his philosophical/tactical missteps just cancel out in the W-L?

I dunno. I'm not impressed with the pitcher handling over the years, to put it mildly. At the same time, before he went down in flames with the 2006 Cubs, he won a lot of ballgames. Maybe the year off and the lower-intensity spotlight in Cincinnati will keep him from getting wound so tight. At least I hope so.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3064610

Watch Keith Law's opinions. Typically, I think he's an idiot and I rarely agree, but I agree with his assessment overall.

Turn Off Ads?