Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Managerial search update(s) Could it be Dusty?

Maybe they'll never announce anybody...

This speculation is much more fun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Any other NL central managers who were fired that we can go after?
    Go Gators!

My God. How about we start interviewing some good managers instead of crappy ones with name recognition. I'm very quickly losing faith.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Garner has interest in the job, I have interest in running Microsoft. We both are never going to get a sniff at either.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    My God. How about we start interviewing some good managers instead of crappy ones with name recognition. I'm very quickly losing faith.

Simma' down now.

Garner, who was dismissed as Astros skipper on Aug. 27, hasn't been contacted by Cincinnati to fill its managerial vacancy.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That's how old baseball men operate. They'd rather hire a big name idiotic manager than a little known manager or a complete unknown manager who could provide intelligence and innovation.

My take now, with all that said, is that while I wasn't the biggest Pete Mackanin supporter this past season, he's A) better than Narron was, B) better than Miley was, C) better than Boone was, and D) better than just about every big name idiot whose name has been rumored to have interviewed and/or be interested in the Reds' opening.

It's sad that it has to be that way, but unfortunately that seems to be the case. I wish the Reds would throw a potential manager through the same process Boston did with Terry Francona, but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be happening, or even close to happening.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

In some people's minds, everyone ends up being an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    In some people's minds, everyone ends up being an idiot.
    The Reds have a .453 winning percentage over the last seven seasons. Are you interested in that same winning percentage over the next seven seasons?

The Reds had a .592 winning percentage in the 1970s, and they were in an organization back then who operated as if they were ahead of their time. I'd say it's long overdue for the Reds of today to operate in that same manner of being ahead of their time.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I'd rather have Garner than Dusty. I don't know that that's saying much, though.

I'm honestly cool with just bringing Pete back, but that's just me.

Waiting game?

More time means more choices
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds aren't saying anything about their managerial search.

So we're left to interpret their actions to figure out what's going on behind the walls of 100 Main Street.

For example, when the Reds didn't make it official with interim manager Pete Mackanin before the season ended, it was a clue they would look outside the organization.

The team has talked to at least one outside candidate, Dusty Baker. If Baker or another manager isn't named soon, it's a signal the Reds will wait to see if other candidates become available.

Two accomplished managers could come into play soon: Joe Torre of the New York Yankees and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals. If the Reds want to take a shot at either, it makes sense to wait.

Of the three teams that have openings - Pittsburgh and Kansas City are the other two - the Reds seemingly have the most attractive situation. The picture gets muddier if La Russa replaces Torre in New York and the St. Louis job opens up.

It's clear the Reds have more than a cursory interest in Baker. He was at the Reds' facility in Sarasota, Fla., last week and has talked to Bob Castellini, the team's chief executive officer, several times.

But it's not necessarily a slam dunk that Baker will take the job if it's offered. He lives in California, and he has young children.

But he has told people close to him that he'd like to manage again, and he prefers the National League.

Baker's final season as a manager was his worst. He went 66-96 with the Chicago Cubs in 2006. He might want to show he's more like the manager who did so well in San Francisco, where he worked from 1993 through 2002 before leaving for Chicago.

Baker, 58, took the Giants to the World Series in 2002, and they finished in first place twice and second five times in his 10 years there. His teams won at least 90 games five times in his eight full seasons as Giants manager.

Former Red Rich Aurilia played for Baker during his San Francisco stint and is a huge fan.

"Anybody who gets him is lucky," Aurilia said of Baker.

Baker is known as a player's manager.

"Having Dusty is like having another player," Aurilia said. "He'd go out and play if he could. He's great to play for. He's a player's guy."

Is Baker the kind of guy the Reds are looking for?

We might know the answer to that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd rather have Garner than Dusty. I don't know that that's saying much, though.
    I'm no big Dusty fan but I just can't agree with that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm no big Dusty fan but I just can't agree with that.
    oh what basis?

Heard some guys on CHI radio today say that if Torre is fired, Lou is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Heard some guys on CHI radio today say that if Torre is fired, Lou is interested.
    I heard that as well last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    No way, it'll be Don Mattingly
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?