Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

Re: Managerial search over. It's Dusty.

You know no one has said it here but I'd just like to say that on a certain level I couldn't be more pleased that the Reds hired a man of color to be their manager. In fact Cincinnati might be the first city (I can't think of any others anyway) to have non white managers/coaches for both it's professional sports teams and that's not an awful thing IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You know no one has said it here but I'd just like to say that on a certain level I couldn't be more pleased that the Reds hired a man of color to be their manager. In fact Cincinnati might be the first city (I can't think of any others anyway) to have non white managers/coaches for both it's professional sports teams and that's not an awful thing IMO.

Cubs, Baker
    Sox, Guillen
    Bears, Smith

I'm sure there's more, but the Windy City came to mind
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    While not at the same time, the Pacers had Isaiah Thomas and have Tony Dungy, but honestly I could not care less about their color. I want the best coaches for the job, and it doesn't appear that either guy in Cincinnati is that. It's not an awful thing that they're both black, it's awful that they both seem to be bad coaches. (I'm not a Bengals fan so it's not awful to me)
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's worse...

I've spent the last few nights watching playoff baseball -- you know, the thing where teams that post top records get to play additional games after the end of the regular season...and it seems to me that Boston, Cleveland, Colorado, and Arizona are all doing just fine with guys that were never "Big Name" managers prior to getting their gigs.

Being a fan of this franchise is beyond frustrating. It's like everyone else in the major leagues is playing Monopoly and the Reds are the moronic cousin shouting out "You sunk my Battleship!" every time their turn comes. Whenever an opportunity arises for this team to follow the path that other small/mid markets have traveled to success they choose to wander in the opposite direction.

Welcome to Cincinnati, Dusty. Another in a long line of self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the face.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

With the execptions of the injuries to Dunn, Jr and Hamilton, I really felt the end of the 07 season showed some signs of hope for the team. There were positive signs of advancement for the orginization. They might have been small signs, and certinaly don't guarentee actuall sucess, but the Reds felt like they had some "momentum" going into the offseason. Very hard to measure, I admit, but it seemed like they had something to work with.

All of Bakers short-commings have been clearly spelled out. My biggest sense of dissapointment centers around a couple of things...

The presser will be so full of faux-excitment it will make you gag. It's sorta like when a couple that has no business even considering marriage and then decide to get married. The people at the ceremony all pretend to be happy and wishing them the best, while the pall in the air is "this is a disaster". I fail to see how having a manager with a big name will be any reason for the fan-base at large to get excited. Yet, we'll be told over and over how excited we should be, and how this move will vault us into competition, etc etc.

Speed of the process. Certinatally it shouldn't linger until a day before spring training, but we were promised a complete and exaustive search. Yet, the world series hasn't even started, let alone ended and we are done. Apparently PMac was never even interviewed (based on the information available). And you don't know what other managers might become availble in early off-season moves. Just seems very implusive.

Lastly, I agree with M2. I think this portends a flurry of moves. Unfortunatley I suddenly have no trust that they will be *good* moves. I also agree that this smacks of a BCast move, which signals a lack of confidence in Krivsky. It's also protraying BCast as a more medelsome owner than he did previously. If this is actually the case, then Dusty will likely have some serrious pull in what players we target. That doesn't instill any confidence.

Aaron Harang better start doing some arm strengthening exercises.

Toothpick manufacturers all over the Tri-State area are working now on presentations to become the official toothpick of the Cincinnati Reds. I bet you there will be a container, Red ones with Mr. Red on the side, right next to the sunflower seeds in the dugout, plus replicas on sale in the souvenier stands.

Another thing to consider: Dusty did have some horses that could get guys out, which is part of why he rode them hard. Here, that shouldn't be such a problem because no one can get anyone out, save for Harang.

Other thoughts: Mark Prior is made of glass, he probably comes up lame anywhere. Kerry Wood is the one I think Dusty is most responsible for from that crew. He had a known injury history and accumulated high pitch counts very fast. I consider Dusty to be more culpable on that one.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I'm not terribly put off by this move. Perhaps The FO knows something we don't. We did not sit in on the interview process, BCast and WK know what we know about Dusty (even more) and Dusty does have a certain degree of success at this level. My main concern is the coaches that he'll be bringing along with him. That will be paramount in the development of a winning team.

Also, the Cincinnati toothpick stock with rise exponentially. Get it now while the price is low.
    Witty signature.

Comments from the cubs.com website...

This is great news for the already weak NL Central, I am glad to see there is another idiot GM besides ours.
    LOL, absolutely horrible move by the Reds. They could have kept their interim manager and developed their youth while trading away old vets to get better for the future. Sadly, the Baker era has started. Expect him to recreate the Cub fiasco minus the 2 winning seasons.

That's it for me then. I said this below, and I'm sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If they hire Dusty Baker then this longtime Red's fan is finally gonna switch his allegiance to the Indians over the Reds, until the day they fire the guy. I can't stand the man!

That toothpick knawing jerkweed ain't done jack as a manager except misplay, mis-manage, and waste what talent (including arms) that he has had, while making excuses. Nuff said.

I'd rather follow a Wahoo then a Yahoo.
    The hiring of Dusty Baker shows me this FO ain't got what it takes, and they ain't getting a dime of my money next year. It's all going north to an organization that seems to know what it's doing.

Dusty Baker? Geez!

I love the Reds, and will still follow them avidly; but I love even more watching the game of baseball (especially quality baseball). And I'm not seeing any indication that it's gonna happen soon in Cincy with this hiring.

Simply assinine.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Maybe the good news here for everyone who's hating this move is that Lou Pinella will be here in 2010 after Dusty runs the ship into an iceberg. Oh wait, this team is already on an iceberg.

I'm not thrilled about this move, but I'm also not convinced it foreshadows a franchise in ruins. Seriously, how much worse should things have to have been over the last seven years to show people that this franchise is a mess? I remain optimistic that the Reds are building a stronger franchise; one that will produce a major league club that hits, pitches and fields well...all things that I don't think any manager can do by himself.

But the real reason I am not particularly thrilled about this move is this- I thought Pete deserved a shot at it. I would prefer that they treat next year as a time to continue heading in the direction that they were, immediately post-Narron. Of course, I suppose that's what we would all say they were doing at the beginning of the last two years, too. I just had a different feel for what Mack brought to the club as opposed to Miley and Narron.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Rotoworld's opinion:

"The Reds got the big name they wanted. That’s about the only nice thing we can say about this. The Reds may be more likely to dump Adam Dunn now, as he does nothing more than clog up the bases with his walks. Also, we worry about what will happen to Joey Votto if he doesn’t get off to a hot start next year. Baker values experience about as much as any manager in baseball, and he loves speed, which could mean that Ryan Freel will get a lot of at-bats at the expense of Josh Hamilton or Edwin Encarnacion."

As you can see, disaster looms throughout the organization with this move.

I'd rather have Bob Boone in a heartbeat.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I was living in the Bay Area attending Giants games the years Roger Craig was in charge and watched him ruin an organization's entire staff of pitchers, both young and old. Dusty Baker learned to manage the same way. I hated him as a Dodger and hated him more as the inept manager that he is.

Krivsky just lost all my support for not putting his foot down and saying, "Not a chance in hell!". Give me Tom Trebelhorn before Baker. Give me anyone on this planet before Baker.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'ts not so much Dusty managing the team that worries me. It's what it signals about the organization that is so troubling. I have a feeling it's going to be a long time until we see a Reds organization capable of competing in the modern age of baseball.
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell right there.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Poop on a stick I say.

Same old M.O. for this front office.

I love rooting for teams that lose for decades at a time.

Turn Off Ads?