Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Thread

Re: NHL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lang and Babcock had issues, Lang is not a great two player and perhaps needs more creativity to up his offensive game, the Wings like to play the puck possession game and that usually revolves around point play by the big defensive men, Daysuk and Zetterberg are faster then Lang and able to create more space in that sort of setup, Lang and Babcock had words about what was expected from him and what he in turn expected to contribute based on what he could do.
    I'd agree with that. Lang is a bit of a floater. Let's his linemates do the work. That's why I really didn't like the signing, but the rest of the team works hard, so I don't mind having one Lang type player on the team. He has served an important purpose. it's just that if he isn't scoring he's a pretty useless player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wow, great stuff, thanks. Sounds like we have an exciting nucleus of young players to hopefully build around. Who is taking the reins of ownership now that Wirtz is gone? Will it be business as usual or do you foresee a shift in the organization's direction?

Honestly, Wirtz is one of the main reasons I quit following the Hawks. I don't have the close ties that I have with the Reds and Bengals and it was just no fun.

#1 overall pick? Wow, that is awesome. Sounds like Toews has ROY type potential?
    Toews and Kane both have ROY potential. They are probably their biggest competition. There are some good rookies, but IMO Kane and Toews are the front runners. The Blues' Erik Johnson should put up a good fight when he gets healthy.

As for ownership, it was expected the Billy's son Peter would take over once he Billy died, but he isntead steeped down, and the other son, Rocky Wirtz is now in charge.

My guess is that the changes will be few and far betweeen. The ownership is still in the family, so my guess is that Rocky would agree with Billy on most issues.

Still, the Hawks have been open to spending money the last few seasons, and they finally have a GM in place with half a brain. He has a plan in place, and has done a great job in following through. The Hawks have a great stable of young players and they are committed to winning. If they aren't a playoff team right now, then they likely will be next year.

How about dem Thrashers?

uhhhh..nothing to see here, move along

Have to say I'm pretty happy with my Flyers right now. As horribly as they played last year, they're playing much better this season. I guess that's what happens when you replace more than half the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Sens are hot, I like the up tempo game they play. I wouldn't be too hot to flip a goalie just yet though, you never know when you need a pro. Who back up the top two?
    They have a young goalie (Brian Elliot) who won his first game earlier this year. I think Elliot will be fine backing up Emery so long as Ray doesn't try to fight the entire Buffalo roster again

But WOY I agree with you...the Sens are really fun to watch. I've been watching nearly all of their games so far this season (NHL Center Ice Package) and even if they are down 2/3 goals early in a game they have the firepower to get right back into the game. I do like Gerber alot but the Sens need to clear some cap space so they can sign Spezza long term. Spezza is one of the best pivots I've seen and is the anchor of that team.

I'm going to have to start checking out the Hawks this season. It's good to see that the Hawks are starting to rebound after being horrid for so long. How has Jack Skille played so far this season? While everyone is pimping Kane and Toews, I haven't really heard alot about Skille.

Skille is in the AHL.

As a half season ticket holder for the Blue Jackets, this season is going to be very inconsistent. They have a number of young guys along with end of the road veterans with very little in between. I think next season is the season to watch with a lot of payroll opening up.

BTW - Rick Nash has been a monster so far. Too bad no one else has yet.

WMR---

The Hawks just announced that they plan to televise some home games next season, so it looks like significant changes may be in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    WMR---

The Hawks just announced that they plan to televise some home games next season, so it looks like significant changes may be in the near future.
    It's about time!!

That was one of the more asinine "business decisions" made by Wirt$. Way to alienate the fan base by attempting to force them to buy a ticket to the game to follow/support the team.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Buffalo Sabres fan here (and season ticket holder). I like the Blackhawks but think it will be another 1-2 years fro them to put it all together for a run.

As for the Cup...too early to tell thus far, but If i had to pick....Ottawa. I think they will trade Gerber for some grit sooner rather than later.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Buffalo Sabres fan here (and season ticket holder). I like the Blackhawks but think it will be another 1-2 years fro them to put it all together for a run.

As for the Cup...too early to tell thus far, but If i had to pick....Ottawa. I think they will trade Gerber for some grit sooner rather than later.
    :thumbdown j/k...The Sabres are going to make another run at it this year. They have a good team again even without Briere (IMO he was overrated/overpaid) and Drury (I feel your pain brother). Add in the fact that they are well coached and have argubly the best goalie in the League, they be fine. Plus, it's always nice to hear Rick Jeanneret losing his mind after big goals in the playoffs...LALALALALALALALALAFOTAINE!

Rick Jeanneret's best calls...IMO he is the best radio announcer in the league.

http://staffannouncer.com/blog/?p=19

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Rick Jeanneret's best calls...IMO he is the best radio announcer in the league.

http://staffannouncer.com/blog/?p=19
    No argument there. They lost a great color man this year when Jim Lorentz decided to retire just before the season started but have replaced him with Harry Neal of Hockey Night in Canada fame. So far, so good.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Don't look now but the Blue Jackets are now 7-3-1 and are on a 4 game winning streak going into tonight's game for their best start ever by a mile. Pascal LeClaire has been unbelievable this season with 4 shutouts already.

In Hitch I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66 View Post
    Don't look now but the Blue Jackets are now 7-3-1 and are on a 4 game winning streak going into tonight's game for their best start ever by a mile. Pascal LeClaire has been unbelievable this season with 4 shutouts already.

In Hitch I trust.
    Columbus lost in a shootout at Anaheim last Thursday, but Leclaire comes back and shuts out the Blues this past Sunday. The Blue Jackets are now 8-3-2, and their 18 points are tied for second most in the Western Conference.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?