Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: NHL Thread

Re: NHL Thread

I think a Hawks-Red Wings outdoor game would be good fun. Especially if the Hawks can grab a few more wins against Detroit this year to get the old rivalry fired up a bit.

2 original 6 teams would make that type of game pretty exciting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really like the idea of Detroit and the Jackets playing outside, then after, University of the state up north, vs. THE Ohio State Univeristy. I think a double header like that would be awesome!
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I really like the idea of Detroit and the Jackets playing outside, then after, University of the state up north, vs. THE Ohio State Univeristy. I think a double header like that would be awesome!
    If you don't mind losing both games it should be a great event, I'd back it.

Ok. So let's say that you're a Penguins fan. Let's say that you have an injured goalie named Marc-Andre Fleury, who's posted a save percentage of .902. You have a backup goalie who's posted a Save % of .904. And now you have a 31-year old guy name Ty Conklin who's just gone nuts with an 8-0 record as a starter, a 1.88 Goals Against Average, and a ridiculous .941 Save %. The two latter stats would put Conklin 2nd and 1st in the NHL respectively.

When Fleury gets healty, what would you do?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I don't get it. I saw Conklin play a ton with Edmonton, and he flat out sucked. I haven't seen him play much since then, but the way he's been passed around, he couldn't have been playing well. So I don't understand how this guy got going so well. Mind boggling.

To answer the question, I'd say you can't bench him. The Pens have been off and on all season until Conklin came into the fold where they have been unbeatable. I'd think Conklin needs to be given every chance to start from here on in. If he plays himself out of a job and goes back to old Conklin levels, then by all means, turn back to Fleury, who personally I am a fan of. His early season struggles ultimately will not be a key factor in his career. But you just can't bench Conklin right now.

As for Sabourin, I think he needs to be the odd man out. Conklin has been too good, and Fleury could still be a franchise goalie. Sabourin doesn't fit in anymore.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok. So let's say that you're a Penguins fan. Let's say that you have an injured goalie named Marc-Andre Fleury, who's posted a save percentage of .902. You have a backup goalie who's posted a Save % of .904. And now you have a 31-year old guy name Ty Conklin who's just gone nuts with an 8-0 record as a starter, a 1.88 Goals Against Average, and a ridiculous .941 Save %. The two latter stats would put Conklin 2nd and 1st in the NHL respectively.

Trade Conklin, his value will never be higher. The Sabres paid a 5th for him last year to get him from Columbus after they traded Biron to Philly.

Speculation here is that Buffalo has not been happy with Thibault as the backup to Miller (though he played fairly well last night) and may look for another alternative as a backup. In fact, the beat reporter for the radio station said yesterday that the team should wait and see what happens in Pittsburgh and claim whoever they puton waivers (should they do that).
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Trade Conklin, his value will never be higher. The Sabres paid a 5th for him last year to get him from Columbus after they traded Biron to Philly.
    I agree, Goalies like Conklin are having what I like to term as a Elmer Dessen year.

Being a goalie is so much like being a pitcher, form, health, mental toughness, little things matter so much for them.

Now the choice is do you ride him through the season and try and keep the mojo going or not?

Often they ride them and then as soon as the playoffs start they toss them aside for the steady vet. So in the end the question remains as this, Would you want to ride Ty Conklin through the playoffs?

I wouldn't.

Not even as good as he's playing now.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Often they ride them and then as soon as the playoffs start they toss them aside for the steady vet. So in the end the question remains as this, Would you want to ride Ty Conklin through the playoffs?

I wouldn't.

Not even as good as he's playing now.

Depends how long he keeps it up. Of course you have to take his recent performance with a giant grain of salt, but if he keeps up a similar level of play for the next 30 games, then I think you can start to gain a level of confidence there.

RE: a Conklin trade, I really don't see any team giving up much for him based on 10 games of play. Just about every team in the NHL is set with their starter. If Ilya Bryzgalov couldn't bring anything in a trade, then I doubt a journemen on a nice run would do the trick.

As I said, ride him as far as he takes you. If he starts playing like the AHL goalie he recently has been, then by all means let Fleury earn his job back. But until he loses, it's hard to justify benching him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

It sounds like Patrick Lalime version 2.0.

Goal of the Year candidate from Jackets Rick Nash.

Notice the time and score at the time of the goal

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...59791&n8pe6c=2

Jackets 1 point out of the 8th spot right now.

Go Jackets!!!

That goal was freakin' brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66 View Post
    Goal of the Year candidate from Jackets Rick Nash.

Notice the time and score at the time of the goal

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...59791&n8pe6c=2

Jackets 1 point out of the 8th spot right now.

Go Jackets!!!

That was sweet. I wish the Cleveland media paid more attention to this kind of stuff. I think you'd have more Blue Jackets fans from Northeast Ohio.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Nice hands Rick.

The Jackets need more of that, they're 3rd from the bottom in goals in the west and the team that breaks offensively in the second half will likely be the team that grabs those bottom two seeds, which realistically is the Jackets best shot to get in the playoffs this season.

About to leave to see my Sabres take on Raisor's Thrashers....should be an entertaining, wide open game.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    About to leave to see my Sabres take on Raisor's Thrashers....should be an entertaining, wide open game.
    OK, on one side it was. I want to know who exactly kidnapped both Atlanta goaltenders and dressed in their place....that perhaps the worst display of goaltending I have seen.

Also nice to see Eric Bolton still has a role in the league (2 for cross checking, 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, 10 misconduct and a game misconduct - all at once.)

Turn Off Ads?