Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul Byrd linked to HGH

Paul Byrd linked to HGH

ESPN reporting that Paul Byrd purchased over $25K in HGH from 2002 through 2005.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Byrd linked to HGH

Best stretch of his career although an arm injury was thrown in.

Seems pretty much like an average joe. I think the list is going to be long and it may still be missing a number of players. No name that appears would surprise me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Why shouldn't he, and any other ballplayer, when MLB was looking the other way and allowing other players to do it. What was their policy then? I mean if they can't touch Bonds?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Maybe they just need to put an asterisk on all MLB stats for the last 10 years.

and the Mitchell report should be the least dagger in the chances that the players union will work with ownership to solve this problem.... there has been enough leaks by prosecutors AND ownership to ensure that players aren't going to trust that what should be private would be private....

Why is a *confidential news source* allowing reporters to look over their shoulder at a player's credit card statements during the course of an ongoing investigation?

Ultimately the player's union will do it's own testing in house and we'll have to live with it. Ownership as a collective hasn't been very long-sighted on this issue IMHO. I'm at a loss to explain the leaks from ongoing criminal investigations.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7358706

Yes, Indians right-hander Paul Byrd admits to taking human-growth hormone. In his upcoming book, "The Free Byrd Project," he even writes about resisting the temptation to use an increased dosage with the hope of throwing harder.

Byrd says he never hid his use of HGH because it was prescribed to him under a doctor's care. He paid for the substance with his own credit card. At one point, he had it sent in his name to the Braves' spring-training facility in Kissimmee, Fla.

Byrd says he no longer takes HGH and has not taken it this season.

But now, as Byrd prepares to possibly pitch in relief for the Indians Sunday night in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series, his past use of HGH is an issue.

In an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com, Byrd did not dispute a San Francisco Chronicle report stating that he received nearly $25,000 worth of HGH and syringes from a Florida anti-aging clinic that was targeted by law enforcement for illegally distributing performance-enhancing drugs.

Byrd said that three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency. In spring training, he said, he was diagnosed with a tumor on his pituitary gland at the base of his brain, a condition that may have contributed to his deficiency, doctors told him.

"I have not taken any hormone apart from a doctor's care and supervision," Byrd said. "The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states. I am currently working with an endocrinologist and will have another MRI on my head after the season to make sure that the tumor hasn't grown."

In his book, Byrd says, he "shares some of the temptations I have had in MLB to cheat by scuffing baseballs and taking more than the prescribed dose of a particular hormone to increase the speed of my fastball. In the end, as scouts can testify, I did neither."

The Chronicle report says that Byrd received HGH from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center from Aug. 2002 to Jan. 2005, a period of time during which he played for the Royals and Braves. He underwent elbow-ligament transplant surgery on July 1, 2003, missed the entire '03 season and did not pitch again until June 19, 2004.

Major League Baseball formally banned HGH on Jan. 13, 2005, but does not test for the substance. The Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of HGH only for specific conditions and diseases, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association. The list includes adult growth-hormone deficiency — the condition that former major leaguer David Segui cited in explaining his use of HGH — but not standard baseball injuries.

"We are aware of the story regarding Paul," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said in a statement. "I have spoken with Paul about the situation, however, at this time I don't feel I have enough information to make any further comments on the matter. He has been an important member of this organization — on and off the field — over the last two years and we support him in this process."

Byrd, a devout Christian, says he has had difficulty sleeping his entire life, and that his mother briefly put him on Ritalin when he was a young boy. In his book, he describes the effects of his sleeplessness and how it ultimately led him to a physician that prescribed HGH.

"Even though there were good things like my time with God that came out of my aloneness in the night, the sporadic periods of fatigue and lack of sleep have really bothered me on the baseball field," Byrd writes. "Chronic sore throats, an inability to recover and throw bullpens and times of tiredness have all affected while standing on the mound.

"At the insistence of a close friend, I went and had my hormones checked . . . To my surprise, the doctor told me that I was producing very little growth hormone and prescribed a dosage to help me out. I didn't like sticking a needle in my inner thigh each night but I sure did enjoy the sleep that occurred afterwards. My life changed during that time and I was able to work out more, experience less fatigue and recover quicker from pitching.

"Like the other temptations that I've mentioned in this book, I had a new one to deal with one night when I stuck that needle in the hormone-filled bottle. I wondered if I doubled my prescribed dose, whether or not I would throw harder and have a better and possibly longer career. After all, I had a prescription.

"Some strange silent voices ran across my brain and had conversations with me as I pulled back the syringe. I remember having thoughts that doing better on the field could mean more money for my family, my charities and even supporting churches. Then I prayed and realized that God was in control of my life and he wouldn't want me making money through cheating the system."

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Maybe I'm missing the point here, other than the salaciousness.

MLB banned HGH in 2005. In 2005 and earlier, Byrd took it with a prescription under doctor's orders for a pituitary condition. Unless they find out the pituitary diagnosis was bogus, I don't see why Byrd should be judged in the negative.

Plus, it's not like this guy is blowing anyone away with his power pitches.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Paul Byrd has earned more than thirty-two million dollars in his MLB career. I am guessing he doesn't really care what anyone thinks about his HGH use.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point here, other than the salaciousness.

MLB banned HGH in 2005. In 2005 and earlier, Byrd took it with a prescription under doctor's orders for a pituitary condition. Unless they find out the pituitary diagnosis was bogus, I don't see why Byrd should be judged in the negative.

Plus, it's not like this guy is blowing anyone away with his power pitches.
    According to many, steroids were always banned in baseball. HGH is a steroid. Whether he had a prescription or not, he is still a cheater. If you believe his story, I have some land in Florida for sale.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    According to many, steroids were always banned in baseball. HGH is a steroid. Whether he had a prescription or not, he is still a cheater. If you believe his story, I have some land in Florida for sale.
    Actually HGH is a pituitary-derived peptide hormone so it's not related to steroids in either it's regulation or it's action.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I guess he's clear, but I feel like if you're required to take the substance, than you shouldn't be playing at all. That's just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    If you believe his story, I have some land in Florida for sale.
    Actually, I do beleive him. When he comes clean immediately, and even claims that "three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency", why wouldn't we beleive him? He got a diagnosis that would specifically call for HGH, and got two second opinions that agreed with that diagnosis.

To simply call someone a 'cheater' under these circumstances is just wrong. I was very skeptical of Rich Ankiel, but this story seems very different.

And no thanks on that Florida land....
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Actually, I do beleive him. When he comes clean immediately, and even claims that "three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency", why wouldn't we beleive him? He got a diagnosis that would specifically call for HGH, and got two second opinions that agreed with that diagnosis.

To simply call someone a 'cheater' under these circumstances is just wrong. I was very skeptical of Rich Ankiel, but this story seems very different.

And no thanks on that Florida land....
    I agree. He's forthright and from what he says has let all involved know BEFORE this story ever came out. I can stand behind a guy like that with my support. Not that he needs any.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I agree. He's forthright and from what he says has let all involved know BEFORE this story ever came out. I can stand behind a guy like that with my support. Not that he needs any.
    Those were my thoughts exactly.

The guy didn't take shots in the bathroom stall from a teammate...not that there is anything wrong with that...oh, wait...yeah there is.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I guess he's clear, but I feel like if you're required to take the substance, than you shouldn't be playing at all. That's just my opinion though.
    There's a huge difference between taking HGH for medical reasons at dosages meant to raise your levels to normal and taking huge bolus amounts illegally and without a doctor's supervision in order to build muscle mass.

Turn Off Ads?