Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who was the Reds' 2007 MVP?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronson Arroyo

0 0%
  • Jared Burton

0 0%
  • Adam Dunn

14 12.39%
  • Edwin Encarnacion

0 0%
  • Ken Griffey Jr.

3 2.65%
  • Josh Hamilton

1 0.88%
  • Aaron Harang

48 42.48%
  • Scott Hatteberg

0 0%
  • Norris Hopper

1 0.88%
  • Jeff Keppinger

0 0%
  • Brandon Phillips

45 39.82%
  • David Weathers

1 0.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Reds MVP

2007 Reds MVP

While there are a number of different ways to attempt to quantify a player's performance/contribution on the field (e.g. - batting avg., OPS, ERA, etc.), one that I rarely see used on here is Win Probability Added (WPA). However, I think it should be considered when voting on the Reds' MVP.

Wikipedia describes it as "a technical baseball statistic which attempts to measure a player's win contribution by figuring how much each specific play he made altered the outcome of a game." It gives more weight in high pressure or clutch situations during the late innings of the game. For example, a walk off solo home run would add much more Win Probability than a solo shot in the bottom of the 1st.

So, without further ado, here's how the selected Reds rank in 2007 WPA:

Code:
    Scott Hatteberg       2.83
    Adam Dunn             2.66
    Aaron Harang          2.42
    David Weathers        1.15
    Brandon Phillips      1.14
    Ken Griffey Jr.       1.14
    Edwin Encarnacion     0.83
    Jeff Keppinger        0.77
    Jared Burton          0.75
    Josh Hamilton         0.72
    Norris Hopper         0.60
    Bronson Arroyo        0.42
    Last edited by Screwball; 10-21-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I don't know what year it is

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 Reds MVP

Thread Title threw me off at first. I thought you were asking for next years MVP (being 2008).

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    Thread Title threw me off at first. I thought you were asking for next years MVP (being 2008).

Yeah, that's supposed to be 2007. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Senor Votto

I'd say it's either Harang, Dunn, or Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I'd say it's either Harang, Dunn, or Phillips.
    Agreed. It's pretty tough to compare a starting pitcher who goes once every 5 games to a position player that plays everyday. Still, all 3 had outstanding 2007 () campaigns, and I'm very interested to see how the voting turns out.

I voted for Phillips. I am one of those that believes that a pitcher can't be an MVP. The only exception would have been Johan Santana.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Billy Hatcher

Re: 2007 Reds MVP

Whoever voted for Norris Hopper needs their head checked. Harang or Phillips by a landslide

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    Whoever voted for Norris Hopper needs their head checked. Harang or Phillips by a landslide
    Marty probably did it because Norris can bunt

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Phillips is my fave player but I went with Harang because he was just so steady and dependable and pitchers like that don't come along all that often for the Reds it seems.

Adam Dunn at #3 ?- I am really surprised. To me, he was clearly the player who was the most valuable to the Reds.

I went with Phillips because he provided such a spark for the team , but Harang was a close second because you knew every time he pitched he would put them in a position to win.

I went with Harang pitching in a hitter's ballpark. His accomplishments would be even greatere in a pitcher's ballpark. All of our hitter's benefit from playing in GABP.

phillips. i enjoyed his enthusiasm for the game this year. he stepped up and projected himself as a premiere leader on the team. i'm looking forward to good things happening with him next season.

Quote Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
    phillips. i enjoyed his enthusiasm for the game this year. he stepped up and projected himself as a premiere leader on the team. i'm looking forward to good things happening with him next season.
    Yep, I agree. He is to this team what Joe Morgan was to the BRM. Quote from SI back in those days: "Little Joe makes Big Reds go". I love Phillips because he said he wants to be to this team what little Joe was back in the day. Sure picked a pretty good role model.......

Turn Off Ads?