Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another LMAO at the Bengals Thread

Re: Another LMAO at the Bengals Thread

Question of the day. Was the running game a result of poor Jets run D more than Levi Jones' return? Probably some of both. I really wish the Ohio State coaching staff would come and give the Bengals a tackling lesson. The Bengals guys are just not aggressive enough in their approach to tackling, well, unless its the QB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Question of the day. Was the running game a result of poor Jets run D more than Levi Jones' return? Probably some of both. I really wish the Ohio State coaching staff would come and give the Bengals a tackling lesson. The Bengals guys are just not aggressive enough in their approach to tackling, well, unless its the QB
    I think that it was more of confusion on the part of the Jets. Usually when the Bengals get down they pass, pass, pass. Today they stayed calm, and continued to chop away at the lead. Also, the Jets had to prepare in case Rudi played as well. They probably assumed Rudi would get the start, and were gameplanning for that.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'd say largely the Jets D, but I think it was really helpful that the Bengals starting five played the entire game for the first time in quite awhile. Willie and Levi both played the entire game, and Ghiaciuc (probably spelled that wrong) had a nice game. If they can stay healthy the Bengals offense will get better.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

As horrible as they've been thus far, they can draw within a game of Pittsburgh with a win next week. Amazing.

And really, next week is a make or break game for the season. A win puts them one back, a loss and they're 3 back and pretty much done.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    As horrible as they've been thus far, they can draw within a game of Pittsburgh with a win next week. Amazing.

And really, next week is a make or break game for the season. A win puts them one back, a loss and they're 3 back and pretty much done.
    Yep. But as much as it pains me to admit this, that game has all the makings of a lopsided L. The Steelers have an excellent running game, a stout defense with exotic blitzing schemes, and sound special teams. All three are kryptonite for the Bengals.

Unless the Bengals can come away +2 or better in the TO department, I just don't see how they win that game.

They're going to get demolished by Pittsburgh, especially with the Steelers coming off a loss. They're going to put up 40 points on the Bengals and their D-Line will be all over Palmer all day.

I'm sure some are going to come back with very similar arguments we heard before they Played the Patriots. It's common sense in this case. Don't over think it. They're going to get manhandled by a much better team. The Steelers are not the Jets.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    They're going to get demolished by Pittsburgh, especially with the Steelers coming off a loss. They're going to put up 40 points on the Bengals and their D-Line will be all over Palmer all day.

I'm sure some are going to come back with very similar arguments we heard before they Played the Patriots. It's common sense in this case. Don't over think it. They're going to get manhandled by a much better team. The Steelers are not the Jets.
    I'd put money on you being right. I hope you're wrong, but I don't think you will be.

The only shot the Bengals have is getting an early lead and winning the running game by 50-75 yards. Make Big Ben pass and there will be turnovers to be had. If he stays balanced and can work within the offense (like the second half tonight), he'll pick that secondary apart.

You couldn't dream up an easier beginning to the season for Pittsburgh. The only two good offenses they have faced they have given up 52 points. Not exactly dominating. They also gave up 16 points to San Fran. The worst offensive team in recent memory. They barely average 200 yards a game. That was the most yards they have had all year.

After watching Cutler tonight I think Carson should have a big game Sunday. Pittsburgh is a good football team, we'll see how good this week.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    In 1983, the defense was 1st in the NFL.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/cinindex.htm
    And mysteriously, that team managed to fall to 7-9. I shut the 1983 season out of my memory years ago. What led to the downfall? Was it the offense? Wasn't it pretty much the same offense they'd had in '81 and '82?

Also, wasn't Dick Lebeau the DC then?

Also, to anybody else that was at the game today, how drunk was the PA guy?

When Chad Pennington threw a TD pass in the 2nd half, he announced, "TD pass by Chad Johnson." He offered no correction. And then, after the PAT, he followed it with, "Extra point by Chad Johnson is good." After a brief pause, he then bellows "Correction. Mike Nugent with the kick." Ah, yes, easy to get those two mixed up.

Then there was another FG attempt (again by Nugent), and the PA guy claimed Shayne Graham was kicking it. Plus, there were a couple errors by saying it was 2nd and 7 when, in fact, it was 3rd and 1 or something similar.

I can understand making a slight mistake on down and distance once, (he did it twice), or taking a stab in the dark on a tough to pronounce name (yep, that happened too), but this guy was claiming Chad Johnson was throwing TD passes. And kicking PATs. And playing for the Jets.

By the 4th quarter, I was convinced he'd tell us it was 4th and runner on 2nd base, or that the result of the last play was traveling. Dude was just all over the place.
    Last edited by Screwball; 10-22-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

When Chad Pennington threw a TD pass in the 2nd half, he announced, "TD pass by Chad Johnson." He offered no correction. And then, after the PAT, he followed it with, "Extra point by Chad Johnson is good." After a brief pause, he then bellows "Correction. Mike Nugent with the kick." Ah, yes, easy to get those two mixed up.

Then there was another FG attempt (again by Nugent), and the PA guy claimed Shayne Graham was kicking it. Plus, there were a couple errors by saying it was 2nd and 7 when, in fact, it was 3rd and 1 or something similar.

I can understand making a slight mistake on down and distance once, (he did it twice), or taking a stab in the dark on a tough to pronounce name (yep, that happened too), but this guy was claiming Chad Johnson was throwing TD passes. And kicking PATs. And playing for the Jets.

By the 4th quarter, I was convinced he'd tell us it was 4th and runner on 2nd base, or that the result of the last play was traveling. Dude was just all over the place.
    That's not good... but REALLY funny!!

Except the Patriots have made it clear they are rolling on all cylinders, whereas Pittsburgh just got beat by a struggling Denver team, so they are far from even playing a moderately similar brand of football right now. Perhaps the simplification mentioned in the game article is what the D needed to click. Of course, the biggest boost to the D was the O keeping them off the field almost the entire 3rd Quarter. Being at home, I don't see a blowout, I see the Bengals giving them their money's worth if they want to win an in-division road game.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Also referred to the Jets as the Eagles more than once.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Where did some of the posters go after the Bengals rallied?
    What are they going to whine about if the Bengals are doing well? It's like on the post game show, all the callers were complaining about the fans and how they gave up on the team in the first half...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

The Steelers aren't the Patriots either. Far from it.

Going to be a tough game though for sure, I am hoping Ahmad Brooks will be back. If they can pressure Ben I think they'll have a shot.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?