Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek movie?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Star Trek movie?????

I enjoyed the original series the best of all the Star Trek series. Can these new actors do the original series justice? I'm thinking it's going to be better.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...-entertainment

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...-entertainment
    From the Los Angeles Times
    MOVIES

Chris Pine will play young Kirk in newest 'Star Trek' movie

Paramount confirms that the actor will join previously announced cast: Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Zoë Saldana and Anton Yelchin.
    From the Times Wire Reports

October 22, 2007

The bridge of the starship Enterprise is filling up.

Chris Pine, who had been in talks to join the cast of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" flick, will play the young James Kirk, while Karl Urban will take on the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy, Paramount says.

They join previously announced cast members Zachary Quinto as Vulcan scientist Spock, Simon Pegg as engineer Scotty, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, Zoë Saldana as communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov.

Leonard Nimoy, who played Enterprise science officer Spock in the 1960s TV series and six "Star Trek" feature films, also will appear as an older version of the Vulcan.

Eric Bana, the star of Steven Spielberg's "Munich" and Ang Lee's "Hulk," is playing a villain in the "Trek" film, which begins shooting in November and is due out in December 2008.

Senor Votto

Re: New Star Trek movie?????

Horrible casting

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Horrible casting
    Actually, I quite like the casting thus far.

Simon Pegg is a fantastic choice for Scotty -- his work in "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" is beyond awesome.

And...come on, Sulu is being played by the dude from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle...

How can this NOT work?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I read where it's about a much younger Capt Kirk and and Enterprise crew.

Some thing like the Flintstone Kids?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I am a minor-league Trekki (meaning I love all of the shows, but even I want to punch those who dress up in the uniforms in the nose). I kind of like the casting - Quinto as Spock is a very interesting choice. The thought of Zoe Saldana in the old Uhura uniform is yummy.
    Pegg and Cho are very good choices, as well - they could add a lot of comedic relief which always bubbled under the surface of the original.
    Personally, I am kind of hoping this is not a one time deal and helps resurrect the series (though keeping it at a well-developed movie every three or so years would be good enough for me)

Star Trek stopped being interesting 10 years ago, this is just the 'Enterprise' idea taken to another level.

Maybe they can come up with something new instead of more rehashing.

Nah!
    Go Gators!

Star Trek stopped being interesting 40 years ago,
    Fixed that for ya.

:
    Go Gators!

Senor Votto

Shatner's Kirk Not Aboard for New 'Trek'
    Friday October 26 3:20 PM ET

The original Capt. Kirk is disheartened he won't get to boldly go anywhere with his old pal Spock in the new "Star Trek" movie. While Leonard Nimoy is reprising his role as the pointy-eared Vulcan in next year's science-fiction flick, William Shatner is not on board as Kirk.

"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Director J.J. Abrams announced last summer that Nimoy would reprise the role he originated opposite Shatner in the 1960s television show and played again in six big-screen adventures.

Abrams said Shatner probably would have a part in the film, which is due in theaters in December 2008. But while Shatner said he had a couple of meetings with Abrams, nothing came of it.

Abrams' "Trek" film, whose plot is being kept under wraps by distributor Paramount, recounts an early adventure for the crew of the starship Enterprise, with Chris Pines as the young Kirk and Zachary Quinto as the young Spock.

The cast includes Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, Simon Pegg as engineer Scott, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, Zoe Saldana as communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov, roles respectively originated by DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig.

Past "Trek" films presented an obstacle to the revival of Shatner's Kirk, who died at the end of 1994's "Star Trek: Generations."

But in science fiction, you can never truly say die. Spock was killed off in 1982's "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" then resurrected in 1984's "Star Trek: The Search for Spock," with Nimoy's Vulcan living on to co-star in three more films, two episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and now Abrams' new movie.

"I've got a lot to do," said Shatner, whose current work includes the TV show "Boston Legal," narration for the Christmas spoof "Stalking Santa" due on DVD on Nov. 6, and the prequel "Star Trek: Academy Collision Course," a novel chronicling Kirk and Spock's first meeting.

Shatner says of "Star Trek": "Having been in on the creation of it, I was hoping to be in on the re-creation."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    "I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."
    I like Shatner, but I think his ability to steal scenes and grab headlines would have made him a poor fit for a film that's trying to go a new direction. This quote is a perfect example.

Nimoy will fade into the background if he's asked, and I suspect that his role will be tiny. I doubt Shatner would stand for that.
    /r/reds

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The release of the new Star Trek film has been pushed back to May 2009, thanks to the writer's strike.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The release of the new Star Trek film has been pushed back to May 2009, thanks to the writer's strike.
    I think Starfleet is union, so it's cool.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'd been expecting this for a while -- every report I'd read on this film since November has been regarding frustrations over not being able to do re-writes on set.

I'd rather they take the time and get this one right, because another box office bomb will probably shelve the franchise for a decade or so.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd rather they take the time and get this one right, because another box office bomb will probably shelve the franchise for a decade or so.
    Never, the last two TV series and the last two movies have been failures, yet they keep at it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Never, the last two TV series and the last two movies have been failures, yet they keep at it.
    While I agree with you on the last two movies, I'm not sure how you can call Voyager and Deep Space Nine failures. They did not reach the popularity that TNG did, but they both lasted for 7 seasons and over 170 episodes, and always maintained solid ratings. I was not a big fan of DSN, but I loved Voyager and still enjoy watching it on Spike.

Unless you are thinking of Enterprise, which I never got into and agree with you to a degree. It did last 4 seasons and 98 episodes, but always fought low ratings. I do remember it getting good reviews by the critics, but I think the franchise just needed a break by that time.

Nemesis was an absolute joke though, and painful to watch being the big Trek fan that I am.

Here is a link to the trailer for the new movie, for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllSZW_YLk8

Turn Off Ads?