Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another HDTV question

Another HDTV question

We've owned a Panasonic 42-inch plasma HDTV for a couple of years now and love it. We've got our Digital HD cable box connected to the tv via the Component Video cables. We went that route due to the expense of HDMI cables. I guess my question is to anyone who does use the HDMI hookup.....is the picture difference really worth the extra price? Also, does anyone know why the price range of HDMI cables varies so much from one brand to another? I was in Best Buy this weekend and saw Monster Cable brand ones that ranged anywhere from $90 - $150 per cable, then I saw a few more brands with prices as low as $50 to as high as $100. I realize price will vary with the length of the cable, but that is still quite a price range for the same product. For example, a 3ft low end brand was around $50, while the Monster Cable 3ft cable was over $100. I just don't get it...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another HDTV question

I know that the local cable TV offices often give you one or two for free, Insight did for me.

Outside of that, you can pick them up for $15-$25 in most stores if you look online to see who has them in stock - don't pay attention to the Monster cable or gold plated stuff - complete waste of $ in my opinion. I'm not sure Best Buy carries the lower priced/budget ones.

I can't really speak to the picture quality difference between HDMI and others though, have only used HDMI since I bought my 42" Plasma.

A couple things.

1) I don't know whether you would notice the difference but you ought to try it anyway

2) Never buy these cables from BestBuy or Circuit City. These things are one of the things that are best bought on-line.

http://www.ehdmi.com/products/produc...ormat=2&style=

This site will sell you a three ft cord for under $2 and a 6 ft cord for under $5. Even with shipping it should be under $10. This shows you what kind of markup is in these things

3) Generally speaking Monster cables are not worth the money. The only time it might be worth spending for them would be if you're running long lengths like over 20 ft

Bottomline is for under $10 you can have the benefits of HDMI.

IMHO, The only advantage to the HDMI cable is it is one cable for video and audio. People who use them will swear they look better, but I've installed a lot of cable. There really isn't a big enough difference for my eyes to tell the difference. Less clutter, same pic IMO. I once had a customer ask me to hook up the cable box with both cables so he could see the difference because I told him I couldn't see the difference. He was very unimpressed because of the way most stores talk them up. Of course they do, they cost a ton of money. He was very upset that he paid the big bucks for an HDMI cable. Its just like those monster cables they try to sell. Especially the coax cables. They are in many cases worse that what you get for free from cable/satalite companies. Don't believe what they tell you. Do your own research and ask people who know. Most importantly, let your own eyes be the judge. Find someone who uses HDMI and look at their tv. Then connect component cables and see for yourself. It is important that you try both on the same TV. TVs are all different.

I also don't believe they provide a significantly better picture than component cables, however, as it has been said I do like having the audio coupled with the video in one device. That's cool.

And for cheaper cables, I buy mine here:

www.monoprice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

3) Generally speaking Monster cables are not worth the money. The only time it might be worth spending for them would be if you're running long lengths like over 20 ft

Bottomline is for under $10 you can have the benefits of HDMI.
    Get you cables ran professionally by someone who knows how to run cable. It is not as simple as you would think and there are many secifications that most electricians don't know about.

The picture may be a bit better via HDMI(as it would be skipping a D/A conversion). I would suggest giving it a try as a decent cable is inexpensive.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The picture may be a bit better via HDMI(as it would be skipping a D/A conversion). I would suggest giving it a try as a decent cable is inexpensive.
    This is true, but there is always conversions going on. Digital signals are always encoded in some way so even using digital cables there is some decodeding and conversion going on.

Can't add anymore to the conversation, in general you probably won't notice any difference unless you do a side by side comparison even then you may be hard pressed to see the difference. The audio being carried on the hdmi is a plus, but keep in mind if you run a surround system to listen to cable/satellite then you will need 2 cables one to the receiver and one to the tv. If you just listen to tv using the built in speakers then one cable is fine.

I shop at http://www.riteav.com/

I agree with GIK. I got mine at monoprice. Good quality at a great price. Monster stuff is good, but the high price paid for the name isn't worth it. They are built well, but I don't need HDMI to tether my TV in a tornado, just carry the signal, and monoprice is fine for that.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I'm toolsy.

I bought my HDMI cable for my PS3 hook-up on amazon.com. It was less than $6 INCLUDING shipping. I read all the customer reviews and found this cable to be just as good as the $75 ones in the electronics stores. I don't know that there is a major difference in the picture quality, but for $6, it was worth it to me to try.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    I bought my HDMI cable for my PS3 hook-up on amazon.com. It was less than $6 INCLUDING shipping. I read all the customer reviews and found this cable to be just as good as the $75 ones in the electronics stores. I don't know that there is a major difference in the picture quality, but for $6, it was worth it to me to try.
    afterall, it is a digital. You either get it or you don't.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I've used both component and HDMI cables. There is a difference, but only if you're looking for it.

I wouldn't quailify it as a "huge" difference.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post

Amazing the markup on those, huh?

I bet they make as much on those cables as they do on the TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Amazing the markup on those, huh?

I bet they make as much on those cables as they do on the TVs.
    Exactly. I've heard some doozies from customers on what the salesmen in electronics tell them to sell HDMI cables. On person was actually told that their TV wouldn't work without one. I've heard everything from the typical everyone else is getting them to you TV won't be in HD unless you have this cable. One person was told that using any other type of cable would damage her TV.

Another good one being told in stores now: Unless you buy a new digital TV you won't be able to receive over the air stations after Feb 2009...

Turn Off Ads?