Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Funny Nats Mailbag Question

Funny Nats Mailbag Question

This is good stuff from Bill K.

Why don't the Nats think highly of outfielder Ryan Church? He played a good center field when needed. Is general manager Jim Bowden too in love with his former Reds players and not seeing the value of others on the team?
    -- Bill K., Annapolis, Md.

I've had players in and out of the organization tell me that Bowden is indeed enamored with former Reds, but I've also seen Bowden gush over Justin Maxwell, Ronnie Belliard, Shawn Hill, Jon Rauch and Ryan Zimmerman, so it's false to say that Bowden doesn't see the value of non-Reds.

As far as Church is concerned, I think the expectations were too high. Members of the "think tank" believe that he is a 30-homer, 120-RBI guy. I see Church as a Paul O'Neill-type of hitter in the future. I don't think he needs to hit a lot of home runs to be a quality player. As did O'Neill in 1992 (when Bowden traded him from the Reds to the Yankees), I think Church needs a change of scenery. He would thrive in new surroundings.
    Poor answer by the writer. The real answer:

Yes he over values his former Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Funny Nats Mailbag Question

Which is why we should hold him up in a trade.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Which is why we should hold him up in a trade.
    That worked well last time.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    That worked well last time.
    For both parties it was a charmer, unless you feel like Lopez won't be non tendered, Wagner will throw better then ever with his operated on wing and Kearns will be worth 13-14 (maybe even 23 over 3 years) million over the next 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    For both parties it was a charmer, unless you feel like Lopez won't be non tendered, Wagner will throw better then ever with his operated on wing and Kearns will be worth 13-14 (maybe even 23 over 3 years) million over the next 2 seasons.
    The result on the other end doesn't make much of a difference...it appears that Kearns and Lopez would have had more value to Cincy than the Washington haul might ever achieve.

So in that regard, the outcome sucked for the Reds.

Let's not get into another 'the trade' discussion please, I mean there are Pete Rose discussions to be had after all. I was merely making a joke about taking advantage of Bowden if we could.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I've had players in and out of the organization tell me that Bowden is indeed enamored with former Reds,
    Maybe Bowden would like Castro and Junior on his books, Krivsky could even toss in a case of designer leather pants. The pants alone might pry Zimmerman from his hands.

His crush on former Reds players is on par with his obsession with washed up Braves players while he was in Cincinnati.

Let's not get into another 'the trade' discussion please, I mean there are Pete Rose discussions to be had after all. I was merely making a joke about taking advantage of Bowden if we could.
    Be careful where you are dropping the fishing line. There are a couple who would "bite" at that opportunity.....

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I was merely making a joke about taking advantage of Bowden if we could.
    Which raises the question, after the last go round do you trade with Bowden again?

I would, but I'd be dang carefull and use the Majweski arm question for every ounce of leverage I could get to pry more value out of Washington.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Chad Cordero, Nick Johnson, and Ryan Zimmerman are the only 3 players on the Nats 40 Man Roster I'd want anything to do with, much less give away talent to obtain.

Unfortunately, we'd have to give up far too much to get Cordero and or Zimmerman, and hopefully Joey Votto can turn out to be Nick Johnson, so that may end up being a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Chad Cordero, Nick Johnson, and Ryan Zimmerman are the only 3 players on the Nats 40 Man Roster I'd want anything to do with, much less give away talent to obtain.

Unfortunately, we'd have to give up far too much to get Cordero and or Zimmerman, and hopefully Joey Votto can turn out to be Nick Johnson, so that may end up being a wash.
    Detweiler, Rauch and Lannan would be a few others I wouldn't mind seeing in Cincy.

Turn Off Ads?