Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why can't Chad Johnson just shut his mouth?

Re: Why can't Chad Johnson just shut his mouth?

Who's the last supposed bad apple star the Bengals felt they had to dump? Corey Dillon? He seemed to do just fine with the Patriots, won a ring, gained more than 3,000 yards in three seasons.

I imagine Johnson's mostly right about there being 31 other teams who'd like to acquire his services. I'll bet the Patriots would pair him with Randy Moss in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by M2; 10-23-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Found the link myself

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T02/710230301/

Put in context, it doesn't sound as bad. It sounds like Chad's been stung by the way the media has turned on him, especially Daugherty. That there are trade rumors with his name on it, it probably doesn't help matters. I'm quickly losing faith in ML and the team leadership. They should be nipping all of this crap in the bud. Marvin's attempt to do so in a presser doesn't work. He needs to talk to his players and let them know where they stand. Right when he should be rallying his troops together, it seems like he's letting one of them hang out to dry.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Thanks for the link, Yacht. I was going off ESPN... of course they're going to spin it for maximum effect...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Found the link myself

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T02/710230301/

Put in context, it doesn't sound as bad. It sounds like Chad's been stung by the way the media has turned on him, especially Daugherty. That there are trade rumors with his name on it, it probably doesn't help matters. I'm quickly losing faith in ML and the team leadership. They should be nipping all of this crap in the bud. Marvin's attempt to do so in a presser doesn't work. He needs to talk to his players and let them know where they stand. Right when he should be rallying his troops together, it seems like he's letting one of them hang out to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Thanks for the link, Yacht. I was going off ESPN... of course they're going to spin it for maximum effect...
    ESPN spinning a quote to make a sensational story out of it? Never happens.

I can honestly understand how Chad feels, because I've had jobs where management does nothing to stop the rumors from flying. It's miserable and makes it painful to show up to work because you don't know who to trust.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I guess maybe this is more another black mark against Marvin than anything else?

Not according to reports of what he said in the locker-room during the halftime playoff game that we ended up losing to the Steelers ... what about when he mouths off to Marvin on the sidelines and jerks away when Marvin tries to coach him? .... what about when he yells at his QB when he doesn't get the ball when and/or where he wants it?
    are we winning when that happens? no. He just wants to win and losing gets him emotionally. Yes he needs to grow up but his emotion when they lose is the only negative he has

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    are we winning when that happens? no. He just wants to win and losing gets him emotionally. Yes he needs to grow up but his emotion when they lose is the only negative he has
    You're probably right... when the Bengals are winning, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    He doesn't flip out when we lose because he doesn't care about winning. He cares about good old number 1, or number 85 in his case. He only flips out when he doesn't get the ball.
    Do you watch the games? He gets upset when we lose. He is all about winning. He has said multiple times that he could care less if he never caught a pass as long as they won games.

Do you watch the games? He gets upset when we lose. He is all about winning. He has said multiple times that he could care less if he never caught a pass as long as they won games.
    That one I'm not sure about, Bip.

I mean, I know he has said that, but even when things are going well and the Bengals are winning, I've seen little tantrums out of Chad when he is "open" and Carson "doesn't get him the ball."

You're probably right... when the Bengals are winning, it's all good.
    exactly. It was all fine by you guys when we were winning. Now that we are losing games chad is a problem and a nuisance and is worthless and a cancer. I mean when the guy cries when the bengals lose. You cannot tell me that all he cares about is himself.

That one I'm not sure about, Bip.

I mean, I know he has said that, but even when things are going well and the Bengals are winning, I've seen little tantrums out of Chad when he is "open" and Carson "doesn't get him the ball."
    At the end of the day he only cares about winning. He might want the ball all the time on the field, but show me a WR that doesnt and I will show you a WR that isnt any good.

For a Level Playing Field

He might want the ball all the time on the field, but show me a WR that doesnt and I will show you a WR that isnt any good.
    The name Santana Moss immediately popped into my mind...

No denying the guy is very talented. That is not open for debate.

Can talent be a problem and a distraction for a team?

Ask those that have played with T.O. and Keyshawn (Chad's cousin?).

I'll take talent and a class act anyday. Jerry Rice got all the recognition and acknowledgment of his talent by what he did on that playing field without running his mouth and various other antics.

I find it funny though that when the Bengals were winning, many fans were saying Chad's antics were nothing more then fun and entertaining. Now it is not so. What has changed, other then the fact they aren't winning?

And this reasoning "He only cares about winning" is a smack in the face of every other Bengal player on that team, as if they somehow don't care? Give me a break!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

exactly. It was all fine by you guys when we were winning. Now that we are losing games chad is a problem and a nuisance and is worthless and a cancer. I mean when the guy cries when the bengals lose. You cannot tell me that all he cares about is himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I find it funny though that when the Bengals were winning, many fans were saying Chad's antics were nothing more then fun and entertaining. Now it is not so. What has changed, other then the fact they aren't winning?
    Maybe because the way he runs his mouth is easily overlooked on a winning team... could it hasten a losing team's slide? Could it contribute to a locker-room fracturing at an accelerated pace than it otherwise would?

When we're winning, Chad running his mouth is fine. When we're losing, brevity is the soul of wit (and good character football guys).

The perception surrounding anything Chad says is simply going to be fundamentally different when the Bengals are winning versus when they are losing. And Perception = Reality. Chad is a smart cat. He needs to realize that and adjust his "media personality" accordingly (maturity). JMO.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-23-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?