Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Redzoners Check-in with Fire update

California Redzoners Check-in with Fire update

The last few days have been bad. Fortunately I'm out of the path of fire for now. Just a whole lot of smoke for us. Anyone else in California having any problems?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: California Redzoners Check-in with Fire update

What part of the state does Remdog live in?

Pretty wild footage of the fire on TV. I hope all the RZ family out there is safe.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I've been pretty fascinated by this:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...42957&z=9&om=1

I was in LA a couple of weeks ago and was plagued by uncaracteristic anxiety the entire time. This would have thrown me over the edge, I'm terrified of fire. I don't know how all those folks deal with it -- such a fast-destroying, scary thing.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I live in Santa Monica so we are pretty safe although its starting to smell with the Malibu fire so close.

Hope everyone is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    What part of the state does Remdog live in?

Pretty wild footage of the fire on TV. I hope all the RZ family out there is safe.

He lives in Newport Beach. He's probably choking on a lot of smoke from the Santiago Canyon Fire.

My brother is in the Marine's boot camp in San Diego and I guess all of their out door "activities" have been canceled and they have to wear masks if they go outside, but I guess they don't have to evacuate yet. They're on alert though.

My brother is a little northwest of Rem. He says the smoke is pretty thick but that there was no danger for them yet.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Thanks for your concern, all. As RBA noted the Santiago Canyon fire is about 8-10 miles east of me and my only problem is with air quality (and the fine ash/soot/grit that is covering everything, including the insides of my home).

I'm actually more concerned about San Diego County at this time since that's where I go when I want a little R & R. Usually, Solana Beach, Cardiff-By-The Sea and Del Mar. All of those areas are threatened.

I thought of RBA but figured he was near Coronado so was most likely out of harm's way. When you think of close to 3/4 of a million people possibly evacuated from their homes in SD County the thought is staggering. That's like evacuating the city of San Francisco!

I heard a snippet of a conversation today at the mall: a young couple was walking with a youngster in a stroller and a young boy about 6 or 7 following behind. The father said, 'well, ya' all ready to go back to the hotel?' The six year old said, 'I don't want to go back to the hotel! I wanta' go home!' Dad replied, 'sorry big guy but we can't go home right now. It's either the hotel or the stadium.' (I took the term "stadium" to mean Qualcom Stadium.) Sad.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the Santiago Canyon fire was arson. Set in 3 places, all with knowledge of wind, fuel and starting techniques, according to the police. Someone like that is a very sick, depraved person.

Worst part is that a few years ago they tracked down an arsonist in Glendale that was convicted of starting a number of fires over a twenty year period---he was an arson investigator for the Glendale Fire Department.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My brother is a little northwest of Rem. He says the smoke is pretty thick but that there was no danger for them yet.
    What city/area is your brother in Sun Deck?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I thought of RBA but figured he was near Coronado so was most likely out of harm's way.
    Rem
    I actually only work on Coronado, but I live out near QualCom off the I-15. We are getting some smoke and ash, but the fires are a little ways and I believe we are in no danger here. However, I live on top of a hill that is covered in vegetation and all it takes some a-hole with a match and some wind and my (leased) house will be gone. I'm glad I got that renter's insurance awhile back.

Worst part is that a few years ago they tracked down an arsonist in Glendale that was convicted of starting a number of fires over a twenty year period---he was an arson investigator for the Glendale Fire Department.
    I remember that didn't he start some fires up this way while on some kind of fire fighter convention?

This is one of the worst wild fires I can recall off the top of my head if not the worst. This reminds me of the Oakland firestorm back in 91 the hills were all torched and ash everywhere.

My wife's family is San Diego just a few miles off the coast of Mission Bay. They're OK and probably will stay clear of the bad stuff. They do live right next to Tecolote Canyon, so if that somehow gets caught in the mix, they might be in danger.

Her brother is in Temecula which is just north of one of the evacuation areas.

I do know one person who has lost his home in this. Very sad.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I do know one person who has lost his home in this. Very sad.
    ad do i. she's also certain she's lost her cat to the fire, as he is indoor/outdoor, and she hadn't seen him before evacuating.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    What city/area is your brother in Sun Deck?

Rem
    Oops, I meant to say northeast....he's in Trabuco Canyon. Did I get that right?
    He just moved there from Simi Valley a couple months ago and, not being familiar with the area, I keep getting the directions messed up.

He said he saw flames a couple miles away on his way to work yesterday and that his situation was much like your's. Ash and smoke, but no evacuation yet. He said they are ready to leave though.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sun Deck:

Sounds like your brother is pretty much due east of me and a bit closer to the fire which is kind of between us. It keeps moving so it's kind of hard to pinpoint it from hour to hour.

Here in Newport Beach the wind changed directions from an off-shore flow to an on-shore flow around 4 PM yesterday. That should lower temps and raise humidity, both of which are helpful. The danger (though it's not expected) is that a strong on-shore flow would push the fire eastward into un-burned area. The estimate is that it could take as long as 15 days to control the Santiago Canyon fire.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?