Turn Off Ads?

Thread: NFL Makes Changes To Draft Format

NFL Makes Changes To Draft Format

It's still a long way off, but the NFL announced some changes to way the draft will run next spring. Your opportunities to look at Mel Kiper's hair will be reduced.

Many of you will recall that the draft consisted of 12 rounds through 1992. It's a big media event today, but I recall back in the 70s and very early 80s, not having any idea who had been drafted until I read it in the paper the next day. There simply was no (or very little) radio or tv coverage of it.

NFL cuts time between picks

Draft will be moved back, less rounds on Saturday

Posted: Tuesday October 23, 2007 12:29PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The NFL on Tuesday cut from 15 minutes to 10 the time between picks in the first round of its draft after a 2007 record round of 6 hours and 8 minutes. It also moved the starting time of the draft from noon EDT to 3 p.m. and limited the first day to two rounds instead of three.

"We believe this will make for a more streamlined and efficient draft," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement issued during the league owners meetings.

The change also applied to the second round, which will go from 10 minutes to seven between choices for next year's draft, which will be held April 26-27 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

In recent years, teams have often used most of the 15 minutes in the first round, entertaining trade offers or making them.

The time between picks will stay at five minutes for the last five rounds, which will take place on Sunday. That session will start at 10 a.m. instead of 11. Both draft days will be televised by ESPN and the NFL Network.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: NFL Makes Changes To Draft Format

Good. Hearing 15 minutes of speculation and viewing footage from the "War room" got so old fast. especially in the down years of the draft. Booooring.
    Witty signature.

Last year I actually had the courage to sit through the first two rounds. Now, that should be a lot easier. I was really expecting a move like this. Now, even more people can tune in to the draft, and not fall asleep.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Less Berman the better

I always enjoyed watching the later rounds more than the earlier rounds, and the biggest reason was because the first couple rounds took up too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I always enjoyed watching the later rounds more than the earlier rounds, and the biggest reason was because the first couple rounds took up too much time.
    They take up a lot of time, but I really enjoyed them. I would sit there, usually with my computer and the tv on, and see who I would pick. I would have my mock drafts, and I would have about 5 bags of popcorn.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Less Berman the better
    I couldn't agree more.

Turn Off Ads?