Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds have a good future coming up...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Reds have a good future coming up...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have a good future coming up...

Good to know. Hopefully the organization can continue to build a strong system.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

no mention of Brandon Waring

mention that Francisco had a strong instructional league is nice -- first thing I've heard re: instrux

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    mention that Francisco had a strong instructional league is nice -- first thing I've heard re: instrux
    That was actually them talking about last year, where he was the instructional league MVP.

Viola got mention, but is really struggling in AFL. Got hit hard again today, ERA up to 29.70. I think that's even higher than the Reds team ERA last season.

Didn't see Roenicke's name in article.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    no mention of Brandon Waring
    I saw the same thing. I have no clue why they didn't talk about him. He was easily one of their best picks last year, and majorly jumped onto the radar.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Not that I trust milb.com as an argument ending scouting source, but the fact that they have Thompson as a mid 90's guy is impressive. I don't even think he threw that before the injury did he?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Not that I trust milb.com as an argument ending scouting source, but the fact that they have Thompson as a mid 90's guy is impressive. I don't even think he threw that before the injury did he?
    Nope. I had him pegged as throwing 88-91 MPH while touching 92 and 93 at times.... when I read him throwing mid 90's I was impressed as well, although I don't know how much validity it actually holds.

when I read him throwing mid 90's I was impressed as well, although I don't know how much validity it actually holds.
    Minor league scouting reports always seem to be a tad optimistic when it comes to velocity in my opinion. If someone can hit 95MPH a couple times a game on the best day of their life, their fastball is usually listed as mid 90's. Last year, BA said McBeth threw 95-96. Even if Thompson's only scraping the mid 90's, that's a whole lot better than what I expected this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Minor league scouting reports always seem to be a tad optimistic when it comes to velocity in my opinion. If someone can hit 95MPH a couple times a game on the best day of their life, their fastball is usually listed as mid 90's. Last year, BA said McBeth threw 95-96. Even if Thompson's only scraping the mid 90's, that's a whole lot better than what I expected this year.
    Yeah, I had heard reports of him sitting in the 88-91 range and every so often going to 92 or 93.... so when I saw mid 90s, I felt I underranked him by about 5-10 spots when I did my top 40 list.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, I had heard reports of him sitting in the 88-91 range and every so often going to 92 or 93.... so when I saw mid 90s, I felt I underranked him by about 5-10 spots when I did my top 40 list.
    I'd suggest sticking with your original estimate and not buying into the notion that Thompson's turned into a flamethrower. Minor league pitching velocities are like college basketball player heights, you have to deduct for reality.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd suggest sticking with your original estimate and not buying into the notion that Thompson's turned into a flamethrower. Minor league pitching velocities are like college basketball player heights, you have to deduct for reality.
    Well it likely could have been a 1 time thing and maybe a fast gun. I mean I have heard Johnny Cueto hitting 99 before, but obviously he doesn't throw that hard but once or twice a year if he is lucky. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. For the most part though, Cueto sits 90-94 and touches 95-97 when he really needs to. Still though, having the ability to get a little extra every now and again helps even a little bit in giving someone a little extra points in a prospect ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Still though, having the ability to get a little extra every now and again helps even a little bit in giving someone a little extra points in a prospect ranking.
    Not with his FB ratio and career H/IP it shouldn't. Thompson and Rafael Gonzalez are two pitchers down on the farm who do just about nothing for me - supposedly in possession of stuff that never translates. They remind of Ricardo Aramboles.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?