Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are the Rockies on a mission from God?

Are the Rockies on a mission from God?

I stummbled on this article today, and I have to admit, I was taken aback. One of the main reasons I love Redszone and sports for that matter is most sport lovers ability to keep religion and politics out. Yes I realize lots of individiuals in sport will sometimes share their religious or political views, but for the most part a sporting event is a place all kinds can sit together and get along.

People can agree or argue with someone whose religious or political beliefs are opposite of their own, and not let that get in the way of the sports argument or agreement at hand. This actually allows people of different backgrounds, religions or political beliefs find common ground. I always think of the original "Major League" movie when Cleveland wins the big game, and they show the scene in the bar where the punk rock, mohawk guy hugs the blue collar construction worker guy. This bringing together of people seems to me to be one of the most beautiful things about organized sports.

So when I read this article, I wanted to share it with the board to get other folks reactions. And just to let people know this is going on, because I found it totally by accident and not on a baseball website.

Exerpt from the article in last June's The Nation:
    In a remarkable article from Wednesday's USA Today, the Colorado Rockies went public with the news that the organization has been explicitly looking for players with "character." And according to the Tribe of Coors, "character" means accepting Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior. "We're nervous, to be honest with you," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "It's the first time we ever talked about these issues publicly. The last thing we want to do is offend anyone because of our beliefs." When people are nervous that they will offend you with their beliefs, it's usually because their beliefs are offensive.

As Rockies chairman and CEO Charlie Monfort said, "We had to go to hell and back to know where the Holy Grail is. We went through a tough time and took a lot of arrows."

Club president Keli McGregor chimed in, "Who knows where we go from here? The ability to handle success will be a big part of the story, too...There will be distractions. There will be things that can change people. But we truly do have something going on here. And [God's] using us in a powerful way.

Full article here:http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060619/zirin

I am pretty blown away that an entire professional organization would alienate those who aren't "Born Again". Anyone else hear about this?
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 10-24-2007 at 04:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Rockies on a mission from God?

Easy folks.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

Not that I don't think this is a subject worth discussing but let's stay within the guidelines please.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Yes, Chip. I wasn't trying to start any word wars, and again, this is why I love Redszone. I just found the article interesting in that I had never heard about it before.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

Certainly don't want to cause any problems for my beloved Redszone. Also, I know I have only 60 posts or so, but I've been an avid reader for many years.

No, you're thinking of the Blues Brothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm unfortunately closing this thread after someone made it clear you can't discuss this topic without inherently touching on subject matters prohibited on RedsZone.

Turn Off Ads?