Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins offer Silva a 3-year deal. Can the Reds offer a 4-year deal at that amount?

Re: Twins offer Silva a 3-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I thought it was 10 days
    Close of 2007 World Series
    The day after the end of the World Series marks the beginning of the 15-day period during which eligible players may elect free agency or demand a trade. Former club retains exclusive negotiating rights until 15-day filing period expires. A player who has filed for free agency may engage in general discussions with other clubs but may not discuss contract details or sign with them until the filing period ends Nov. 11. CBA, Article XX (B).

I read that as a 15 day filing period.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Close of 2007 World Series
    The day after the end of the World Series marks the beginning of the 15-day period during which eligible players may elect free agency or demand a trade. Former club retains exclusive negotiating rights until 15-day filing period expires. A player who has filed for free agency may engage in general discussions with other clubs but may not discuss contract details or sign with them until the filing period ends Nov. 11. CBA, Article XX (B).

I read that as a 15 day filing period.
    K

I think even a 3-year deal is pretty risky for a pitcher who is so un-dominant and rellies on letting the hitters put the ball in play... especially in GABP and with our defense...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think even a 3-year deal is pretty risky for a pitcher who is so un-dominant and rellies on letting the hitters put the ball in play... especially in GABP and with our defense...
    What isn't risky anymore? Silva may not be the type of pitcher the reds need to take a chance with, however I'd like their odds with him more than Belisle's. The BAA is concerning, but he might see some of that success that Arroyo and others have seen while switching leagues. You should also keep in mind that Homer Bailey and Johny Cueto may still be another year or two away from developing into consistent major league pitchers and they will have setbacks. If the reds had a 1-4 of Harang, Arroyo, Silva, Belisle, it could help alleviate the growing pains of Bailey and Cueto both being forced into the rotation too soon.

I read that he is a sinkerballer pitcher, and gets a lot of ground outs. We need that sort of pitcher in GABP. He seemed to make a certain amount of progress between 2006 and 2007. and there is a reasonable chance he will make some more improvement in 2008. Everything I have heard seems to indicate he will be the best starter on the FA market in 2008. I know that is not saying much, though.

I just dont like offering guys long deals

Are the Reds interested in Carlos Silva?

CARLOS SILVA? The best fit for the Reds as far as a free agent starter seems to be Carlos Silva, a 28-year-old right-hander.

Silva is 55-46 with a 4.31 ERA in his career - all with Minnesota. He was 13-14 with a 4.19 ERA last season.

He made $4.35 million last year. But given the thinness of the market, he'll probably get a fortune as a free agent.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

Fay seems to be suggesting the Reds may be interested in signing Carlos Silva in FA.

Senor Votto

Re: Are the Reds interested in Carlos Silva?

I hope not he'll get way too much money and I don't think he'll even do that good in Cincinnati.

Silva posted a solid 4.19 ERA in 202 innings, a performance more in line with his career marks. As a result he's arguably the best available free agent starter this winter and stands to snag a contract of at least four years and $40MM (with no cost in draft picks). La Velle E. Neal III says the Twins want him back, and Bill Smith is already talking about the intangibles the team offers for him. The Twins may balk at even $8MM annually.

Neal notes that the Diamondbacks, Braves, Cubs, Mets, and Phillies had interest in trading for Silva this summer. That pretty well sums it up. We can probably add the Reds to the mix. Looking at Nick Cafardo's recent summary, the Devil Rays, Blue Jays, Tigers, Astros, Cardinals, and Dodgers all seek to add veteran starting pitching. Silva typically ranks in the top 20 for groundball rate, so he may try to avoid stadiums with artificial turf.

He seems to get a lot of groundballs and he posted a low ERA. I would definitely think about it if we can get him at $10 million.

He won't walk a lot of batters, but with a career K/9 rate of 3.76, Silva doesn't miss nearly enough bats. Pitching to contact in GABP with the Reds' defense behind him scares the bejeezus out of me. He may be the best FA pitcher available, but with a price tag ~8-10 million, I'd stay far, far away.

He doesn't have to miss bats if he can get ground-ball outs. The Reds have a pretty good infield defense now, and he would work in GABP. I would rather the Reds go after a ground-ball pitcher then a fly-ball pitcher. Bailey and Cueto are not cant-miss prospects, and Silva would be insurance if either of them failed. I would like the Reds to go after Silva.

His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) the last couple years has been 5.81, 4.20, and 4.60 - very average to way below average numbers. I'm just not comfortable committing $40 MM and 4 years to a guy who needs great defense behind him and will be giving up a lot of contact in GABP. Save that money for someone better.

Personally I'm intrested in anybody better than what we have. With Silva, that means that we would be getting somebody with atleast a semblence of consistency. That would be better than our current 4 and 5 starters. For the right price he should defenitly be looked at.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) the last couple years has been 5.81, 4.20, and 4.60 - very average to way below average numbers. I'm just not comfortable committing $40 MM and 4 years to a guy who needs great defense behind him and will be giving up a lot of contact in GABP. Save that money for someone better.
    Just as an additional point, his GB/FB ratio since becoming a starter in 2004 are 1.6, 1.58,1.28 and 1.41. Sure he is more likely to give up a GB than a FB, but he is not the spectacular groundball pitcher that some believe. In addition, his HR/9 has been 1.02, 1.19, 1.90(!), and 0.89 each year since he came a starter. So, even with his groundball tendencies, he is still prone to the homerun. If the Reds were to put his abilities into GABP, it could get ugly. Screwball is right, save the money for someone better, even if he isn't available this year.
    Last edited by Jay Bruce; 11-04-2007 at 07:57 PM.

I'd rather we go after Jason Jennings for much cheaper...

Turn Off Ads?