Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

Re: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

Redzone play was the difference. Steelers got TDs in the first half, and the Bengals got FGs. Not going to come back from a double digit deficit against Pittsburgh.

I especially liked the review of the Holmes catch. It's in his left arm, hits the ground, he rolls around and it's in his right arm. How can you say the ground didn't effect the ball? Ugh. But alas, the defense still gave up a TD instead of a FG.

Leon Hall was left on an island in the first half. He's a rookie, he can't handle that. He should only be a nickel guy. Joseph and O'Neal should be on the field every down.
    Last edited by guttle11; 10-28-2007 at 07:03 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, overall, that was an entertaining game. I expected more of an offensive barrage in the 2nd half from the Bengals. I was also quite surprised that instead of putting the game in Palmer's hands, the Bengals decided to hand it off to Watson.
    Yeah, that really surprised the heck out of me. Terrible clock management by the Bengals IMO.

And someone help me out, but prior to their last TD I thought the announcer stated that the Bengals had been down in the redzone 6 times, and yet only came away with one TD and a FG. Is that correct?

Roethlisberger is not a pretty QB to watch. He was 19-of-26 for 230 yards with one costly mistake where he tried to force the ball (which is typical sometimes of Ben), but a QB Rating of 109.5. But what is also typical of Ben is that he doesn't get flustered when there is a pass rush. He uses his legs - though he reminds me, at times, of Kosar when trying to scramble - yet does show poise looking down field, and is able to put the ball in spots where ONLY his receivers can catch them.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

GAC, from memory I think the only time the Bengals did not score when in the red zone was at the end when Watson fumbled. It was their only turnover, Graham did not miss a FG and the Bengals did not miss on a 4th down.

Regarding Ben's rating... all QB's have a great rating when playing the Bengals defense. Surely you remember (you Dawg) Derrick Anderson's 1st NFL win as a starter.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yeah, that really surprised the heck out of me. Terrible clock management by the Bengals IMO.
    The long Bengals' 3rd quarter drive that resulted in a 4th quarter TD really hurt Cinci's chances because it took about 8 minutes off the clock. I don't know what Lewis and co. were thinking with the conservative play calling on that drive. Grabbing a TD there is fine because it produces a one-TD gap (with a 2-point conversion). That's great if you have a defense that can produce consistent stops, but that's certainly not the Cinci D. The other killer was the quick TD Cinci allowed Pitt to score at the end of the first half.

And someone help me out, but prior to their last TD I thought the announcer stated that the Bengals had been down in the redzone 6 times, and yet only came away with one TD and a FG. Is that correct?
    Nah. The announcer was wrong. The "red zone" reaches by Cinci produced one TD, two Field Goals, and a fumble.

Roethlisberger is not a pretty QB to watch. He was 19-of-26 for 230 yards with one costly mistake where he tried to force the ball (which is typical sometimes of Ben), but a QB Rating of 109.5. But what is also typical of Ben is that he doesn't get flustered when there is a pass rush. He uses his legs - though he reminds me, at times, of Kosar when trying to scramble - yet does show poise looking down field, and is able to put the ball in spots where ONLY his receivers can catch them.
    And considering Pittsburgh's issues on the offensive line at Tackle, there's almost always a pass rush. As I said prior to the game in this thread, Roethisberger is one of those guys who thinks he can work miracles. That leads to some plays like the bad INT he threw deep in the Cinci end. But even with that and the costly opponent end zone INT in the Arizona game, he's done a much better job this season of knowing when to hold and when to fold. On the flip side, he's produced some solid plays with defensive players on his back or at his ankles even when he's not able to avoid the rush. Gotta' take the bad with the good.

And as I also stated earlier, I'm tired of folks who act as is Roethisberger acts as a dink-and-dunk "game manager". Of his 19 completions today, over half were for 10 yards or more. Over 20% of those completions were for 19 or more yards. I don't think, given equal circumstances, that Ben is better than Carson. But today he was.

And congrats to your Browns for sending St. Louis to their well-deserved 8th loss. Derek Anderson has done a fine job and Braylon Edwards has developed into a super weapon as a wideout and Kellen Winslow is taking things to the next level.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

This is what pisses me off about Marvin Lewis:

"In hindsight, we should have gone for it rather than take the points," Lewis said. "I didn't anticipate them driving down the field and getting a touchdown before halftime"

I mean, seriously, are you joking here?

Also, Marvin lost all of his challenges again today. Can someone tell me the last time Marvin won a challenge?
    Last edited by Playadlc; 10-29-2007 at 02:23 AM.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    This is what pisses me off about Marvin Lewis:

"In hindsight, we should have gone for it rather than take the points," Lewis said. "I didn't anticipate them driving down the field and getting a touchdown before halftime"

I mean, seriously, are you joking here?

Also, Marvin lost all of his challenges again today. Can someone tell me the last time Marvin won a challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Is there a more frustrating team in the NFL to root for than the Bengals? In all of sports for that matter... They are undisciplined, poorly coached, unlucky, unable to overcome adversity, and show little strength of will or character. Did I get it all? They are the absolute antithesis of the steelers on all those counts.....man, I hate those guys.

At least I didn't have to sit through this one in person.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Is there a more frustrating team in the NFL to root for than the Bengals? In all of sports for that matter... They are undisciplined, poorly coached, unlucky, unable to overcome adversity, and show little strength of will or character. Did I get it all? They are the absolute antithesis of the steelers on all those counts.....man, I hate those guys.

At least I didn't have to sit through this one in person.
    You forgot headhunting dbacks that don't get called for forearm shivers to the head made right in front of the ref in that analysis. We don't have any of those, Pittsburgh does, at least two of 'em

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You forgot headhunting dbacks that don't get called for forearm shivers to the head made right in front of the ref in that analysis. We don't have any of those, Pittsburgh does, at least two of 'em
    There were quite a few things not called in that game. Not that the Bengals played well enough to win, but it would be nice to only have to beat the other team.

Anyway, maybe my memory is hazy here and maybe it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but I could swear the play clock had hit zero before the snap on that long pass play early in the game, the one where the replay showed it might not have been a catch and Marvin lost the challenge. Then you have intentional grounding not being called when Ben heaved the ball into the stands. Receiver in the vicinity my foot. He was clearly throwing that away to avoid the sack. I know the Bengals put up a lackluster performance and all, but they weren't the only ones on the field who were performing poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    There were quite a few things not called in that game. Not that the Bengals played well enough to win, but it would be nice to only have to beat the other team.

Anyway, maybe my memory is hazy here and maybe it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but I could swear the play clock had hit zero before the snap on that long pass play early in the game, the one where the replay showed it might not have been a catch and Marvin lost the challenge. Then you have intentional grounding not being called when Ben heaved the ball into the stands. Receiver in the vicinity my foot. He was clearly throwing that away to avoid the sack. I know the Bengals put up a lackluster performance and all, but they weren't the only ones on the field who were performing poorly.
    You're right. The play clock expired a tick before the completed pass that bounced off the turf. The no call on the intentional grounding was pretty questionable as was the late no-call when Justin Smith got held so he wouldn't sack Ben. TJ took a nice shot to the head after an overthrown ball sailed over everybody. The officials didn't have a very good day but even so, if they had called all those plays the Bengals way I'm confident the boys would have buckled down and found another way to lose. Bad officiating didn't cost them the game, but it was a nice little cherry on top of our poop sundae.

Bad officiating didn't cost them the game, but it was a nice little cherry on top of our poop sundae.
    That's poetic.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

This is the first time I have actually thought that it is time for Marvin to go. That 4th and 1 was the summarization of his entire coaching tenure. He fell a little short on 3rd down, got his 1st string O out on the field, called timeout, didn't trust his players, marched the FG unit out there and (perhaps worst of all) had MORE faith in his defense to prevent a score.

His message was clear, play to not lose. Take gambles with players with character issues but don't take the right risks on the field. It's like he's sending a message to the troubled youth on his team. Marvin, this is football, not a life skills class.
    Witty signature.

Sounds like Marvin is definitely losing the team.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=25
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Sounds like Marvin is definitely losing the team.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=25
    Marvin's decision was bone-headed.

Is there a locker-room in the NFL that could be "easier to lose" than the one in Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    And as I also stated earlier, I'm tired of folks who act as is Roethisberger acts as a dink-and-dunk "game manager". Of his 19 completions today, over half were for 10 yards or more. Over 20% of those completions were for 19 or more yards. I don't think, given equal circumstances, that Ben is better than Carson. But today he was.
    Here is Ben's career numbers vs the Bengals and Browns....

Code:
           CMP%    YPA    YDS    TD   RAT
    vs Bengals   66.7    7.9   377.2   2.5  91.7
    vs Browns    60.7    8.9   312.2   2.2  99.7
    And those overall numbers were really dragged down by his injury-riddled '06 season too. When he was healthy, his QB rating would be over 100.

The guy is doing something right.

And congrats to your Browns for sending St. Louis to their well-deserved 8th loss. Derek Anderson has done a fine job and Braylon Edwards has developed into a super weapon as a wideout and Kellen Winslow is taking things to the next level.
    We're improving, but still have a long ways to go. They have not "arrived".....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=7607

I have said for the last couple of years that the Browns have talent up there; but as long as your offensive line stinks, then that talent is rendered void. The "heart" of your team flows through that offensive line. You put Manning or Brady behind previous Brown's offensive lines and they'd look pretty mediocre IMO, regardless of their talent. That has been the BIGGEST problem with this Browns team.

And they have fixed that this year. Rookie Thomas and Steinbach, as well as others, have given Anderson the protection he needs, time for receivers to run their routes and plays to form and not having to consistently break routes and try and come back and "save" the QB. The running has improved; but Lewis is not the answer. It could be better IMO.

People gave Anderson a hard time - and I'm not saying the guy is a Namath - but if one looks at his numbers while playing in the PAC-10, he was impressive. Last year was his rookie year. He got a total of three starts.... vs Pittsburgh, Ravens, and Tampa. Three teams known for their defense, and yet he performed admirably with the exception of the last game vs T.B. where he stunk it up pretty good. But again - he was a rookie with very little experience, and it showed with some bad decisions and interceptions. I don't know what people were expecting? But they have put an offensive line in front of him, as well as a good receiveing corp in Edwards, Winslow, and Jurevicius, and he's performing well. His INT's are way down as he is not being rushed and is able to make better decisions with the ball.

And Anderson is not the future; but I am glad he is making the best of it. I didn't want to see Quinn thrown in there in any way; but to sit back this year and watch and learn.

But from the defensive end - the Browns suck. Bengal fans complain about their defense (and rightly so)? Ours is ranked worse. Here we have two head coaches in Lewis and Crennel who have very similar defensive backgrounds/resumes, and yet they can't rectify their respective team's defensive woes? It makes me wonder that maybe these guys didn't have as much of an impact on those former team's defenses as one might think. I don't know.

I'd love to have a Justin Smith on my team. That kid is all over the place.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?