Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

Re: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

They didn't evaluate the talent on those teams. They had amazing evaluators in Newsome and Belichick doing the evaluating.

I could write another rant about Marvin right now. Just not worth it. These quote alone speaks enough for me.

" "It's tough enough when you have 11 guys, but when you have 10 guys, that makes it even harder," said free safety Madieu Williams. "They were catching us in substitutions like that the whole game. It's pretty much a chess match."
    And Marvin/Chuck are utterly clueless.

"But Lewis said since the 11th guy was a defensive lineman, it had no affect on the play."

That quote from Bengals.com might be the single dumbest quote I've ever read about sports. I mean that and I'm not being dramatic. Think about that theory from an NFL head coach. It's mind boggling how bad this man manages his team.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

On Sunday evening Marvin would have gone for the TD, but on Monday he stood by the FG decision.

I'd pay top dollar to see him ordering dinner at a restaurant. It might take an hour.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    They didn't evaluate the talent on those teams. They had amazing evaluators in Newsome and Belichick doing the evaluating.

I could write another rant about Marvin right now. Just not worth it. These quote alone speaks enough for me.

" "It's tough enough when you have 11 guys, but when you have 10 guys, that makes it even harder," said free safety Madieu Williams. "They were catching us in substitutions like that the whole game. It's pretty much a chess match."
    And Marvin/Chuck are utterly clueless.

"But Lewis said since the 11th guy was a defensive lineman, it had no affect on the play."

That quote from Bengals.com might be the single dumbest quote I've ever read about sports. I mean that and I'm not being dramatic. Think about that theory from an NFL head coach. It's mind boggling how bad this man manages his team.
    That quote is amazing. A defensive lineman has no affect on the play. I wonder if Marvin has ever thought of a pass rush. I know our lineman stink but other teams do use their lineman to put pressure on the quaterback occasionally. Who knows it may even have an affect on a play every now and then.

The truly sad thing is knowing how the Bengals ownership operates no matter what happens this year I expect no changes in the staff. It will take a good 5 years of doing nothing before someone wakes up and realizes we have to start over again.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Sounds like Marvin is definitely losing the team.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=25
    I skimmed the article, so maybe I missed something, but it looked like Houshmandzadeh was who they quoted when they said it looked like Marvin Lewis was losing the team. If you saw T.J. Houshmandzadeh's quote on bengals.com, you know that he is not one of the people Lewis supposedly lost. In 2002, if the Bengals were 2-5, I would've been pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I skimmed the article, so maybe I missed something, but it looked like Houshmandzadeh was who they quoted when they said it looked like Marvin Lewis was losing the team. If you saw T.J. Houshmandzadeh's quote on bengals.com, you know that he is not one of the people Lewis supposedly lost. In 2002, if the Bengals were 2-5, I would've been pleasantly surprised.
    Carson had a quote in there that could be construed as a veiled indictment of Marvin Lewis, and veiled is probably the only way you'll get a quote from Carson that questions Marvin. Indictment of the offense or indictment of play calling, it could have been taken either way. While it wasn't a quote, the reporter conveyed the reaction of other linemen when Levi Jones said it was the right decision. Everything I've heard from Marvin the past two days seems more like CYA for a poorly coached game. Not going for it, not having enough guys on the field and poor challenges are all coaches' decisions. Couple that with some of the quotes that no longer seem to unequivocally support Lewis and you have to wonder whether players have lost confidence in the coaching staff.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Seriously. It's like a broken record.

The guy is in over his head and it's time to move on.

With that said, I'm sure he'll be around for another three years. Then they'll start putting it all together that he's clueless. Maybe running in place on treadmills is a Cincinnati thing, I don't know.

The local media really needs to call out Mr. Condescending for his weekly brain cramps and put pressure on ownership to make a move. And I'm sure that will beg the question, "Well, if they fire Marvin, who do you think they can replace him with". Frankly, I don't care. I'll take my chances that they stumble onto someone that's not as clueless.

Never has a blind squirrel gotten so much run for one found nut (2005).

personnel decisions have been puzzling, especially along the O-Line where they re-upped an aging Anderson and a not all that good Jones and let the best guy(Steinbach) walk away.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    personnel decisions have been puzzling, especially along the O-Line where they re-upped an aging Anderson and a not all that good Jones and let the best guy(Steinbach) walk away.
    Marvin evaluates talent like he utilizes his challenges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Is there a more frustrating team in the NFL to root for than the Bengals? In all of sports for that matter... They are undisciplined, poorly coached, unlucky, unable to overcome adversity, and show little strength of will or character. Did I get it all? They are the absolute antithesis of the steelers on all those counts.....man, I hate those guys.

At least I didn't have to sit through this one in person.
    You hit on a key word (above). This has been suggested before, but when the Bengals were winning (or on the rise) it wasn't considered much of a problem. Then you start seeing problems with players, starting with Thurman, Henry, and then a few others, and they've headed down that slippery slope IMO.

A coach has to HAVE control.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I really try to be impressed by the folks piling on Marvin in a tough season...critics crawl out of the woodwork in a losing season.

The FG at the end of the first half was not such a cut and dried decision, and honestly, being a veteran around here, he would be just as big an idiot if he goes for it there and doesn't get anything. And the D letting them go back down the field...explain how going for it exactly would have changed that--momentum?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I really try to be impressed by the folks piling on Marvin in a tough season...critics crawl out of the woodwork in a losing season.

The FG at the end of the first half was not such a cut and dried decision, and honestly, being a veteran around here, he would be just as big an idiot if he goes for it there and doesn't get anything. And the D letting them go back down the field...explain how going for it exactly would have changed that--momentum?
    That decision demoralized the entire team, stadium, and fanbase.

Honestly, I would not have criticized Marvin had they gone for it there, ran a HB dive, and somehow were turned back. I would respect Marvin for his guts and his belief in his supposedly vaunted offense. I think his team and the majority of fans would feel likewise.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Folks have been "piling on Marvin" since he wasted that time-out trying to ice the Pittsburgh kicker on a 30 yard chip-shot.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I criticized Marvin before the season as well.

First of all, it wasn't an all or nothing situation----the Bengals may not have gotten the touchdown but still may have made the first down, thereby giving them four more shots at it and eating up the clock.

Secondly, even if the Bengals had been stopped the Stealers would have had the ball at the two. In that situation, having to drive 98 yards and in the shadow of their own goal posts, many, if not most teams take a conservative approach initially and that would likely eat up far more time than making the field goal and then kicking off to Pittsburgh. As it was, the field goal didn't eat any time and the ensuing kick-off gave up a third of the field in about 10 seconds.

All in all, not a good trade off in that situation, IMO.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    First of all, it wasn't an all or nothing situation----the Bengals may not have gotten the touchdown but still may have made the first down, thereby giving them four more shots at it and eating up the clock.

Secondly, even if the Bengals had been stopped the Stealers would have had the ball at the two. In that situation, having to drive 98 yards and in the shadow of their own goal posts, many, if not most teams take a conservative approach initially and that would likely eat up far more time than making the field goal and then kicking off to Pittsburgh. As it was, the field goal didn't eat any time and the ensuing kick-off gave up a third of the field in about 10 seconds.

All in all, not a good trade off in that situation, IMO.

Rem
    Speaking of which, what is the opponent's average starting position when the Bengals kick the ball off to them? It feels like it's about the 39 or so.

Turn Off Ads?