Thread: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

Re: Bengals v. Squealers err... Stealers... err... Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Soccer Association for Youth.
    Oh cool, thanks Paint.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    The Bengals will win tomorrow, I have inside information.

My oldest daughter's soccer team won two games today to make it to the finals of their SAY tournament tomorrow. That game is at 2:45 meaning that we'll miss the football game, one of only a handful that we've missed in the last 15 years or so.

With my mojo at it's usual low, it only follows that tomorrow will be the Bengals' breakthrough home win against the hated steelers.

I'm happy for my little girl, though. She is excited.

I'll DVR the game and watch it after the soccer game...in case you were really worried about me.

I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled argument.
    Good luck to your daughter BW. Your daugther's soccer game is more important. Been there, done that - and I don't regret it a bit.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Soccer Association for Youth.
    I thought it was the Soccer Association of Yemens.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Why don't you go make your sig a little longer Wily Mo Doesn't Play Here Anymore?
    :dancingco:dancingco

Give me a good quote and I'll add yours!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Is someone honestly making the argument that Ben Roesthlisberger is a better QB than Carson Palmer? Seriously?
    Like GAC, I haven't seen that either. I really like Carson Palmer. To me, having Roethlisberger and Palmer in the same division is like getting to see Bradshaw and Staubach go at it at least twice a year. Or maybe Elway and Marino. Sometimes I wonder if anyone has actually looked at Brett Favre's 1993 results. So let's compare Ben's 2006 with Favre's 1993:

Brett Favre 1993:

318 Comp/522 Attempts
    60.9 Comp%
    6.3 YPA
    19 TD/24 INT

Ben Roethlisberger 2006:

280 Comp/469 Attempts
    59.7 Comp%
    7.5 YPA
    18 TD/23 INT

Now, before anyone (not talking to you, MWM) jumps to the wrong conclusion, I am not trying to say that Brett Favre is a Roethlisberger comp for a career or that Ben is an eventual Hall of Famer like Favre. Maybe he's more like Steve McNair minus the rushing yardage and better size and "in-pocket" escape ability. But I tire of the consistent calls that Roethisberger is only a "system" QB or a "game manager" or a guy who only throws short passes almost as much as I tire of spelling his name. If that's all the guy did then he wouldn't have ranked 4th and 1st in the NFL respectively in Adjusted Yards per Pass in 2004 and 2005. He's likely to be called on for that kind of yardage efficiency again because Willie Parker is a "boom-or-bust" RB; as likely to take a 3-yard loss as he is to bust a 10+-yard gain. The Steelers see a LOT of 3rd-and-longs.

Ben and Favre are cut from the same cloth, even if they finish their careers with different results. Both are gamers. Both are risk-takers. Both think they can do something special at any moment and at times, to their detriment, they mess up because of it. And I'm actually enthused this season that, excepting one ill-fated decision in this year's Arizona game, Ben has figured out how to either eat the ball or throw it away.

I would never diss Carson Palmer. Super QB. I've seen him do spectacular things a bunch, mostly because of Pitt/Bengals games and because I've had Chad Palmer on my FFB teams quite a bit in prior years. I would love to have that guy on my team. But I often wonder how often folks actually see Roethlisberger play to where they understand some of the fantastic things he's able to do with the football in his hands; and through ages where, historically, almost every other QB is in an apprenticeship in order to learn their craft.

Yeah, his battered body had a forgettable 2006 campaign. But at this point in the season, his QB rating (101.1) is above 98.0 for the third time in four years while he's on pace to throw significantly more TD passes with a much lower INT rate than last season.

It disappoints me that, to some, the matchup we'll see tomorrow from opposing QB's will be awesome versus "average at best". To me, what we're likely to see is a couple of warriors in Carson and Ben doing what warriors do. That excites me to no end.

Good luck, Bengals fans. You're going to need it, as are we on the Steelers' side of the fence.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I don't think MaineRed is being unreasonable. He's a Steelers fan, so naturally, he gets defensive when people say negative things about the ugliest people in the world.

I'd post pictures of the Steel Curtain, but it'd probably scare people away from Redszone forever. I'd post pictures of actual Steelers fans, too, but I just ate and don't feel like cleaning out a keyboard. Now back to football . . .

Yeah, the Steelers defense is so dominant. How did they manage to have the league's best defense after facing the dominant forces of the 49ers, Bills, and Cardinals? I'd bet they'll look dominant against the Bengals, too. LOL. Until the game starts, I'm just going to imagine how much better the Bengals' defense would look if they had faced J.P. Losman (76.8), Alex Smith (65.7), and Matt Leinart (71.2) instead of Tom Brady (91.8), Damon Huard (83.6), and Chad Pennington (89.3). After that, I'll imagine what the Bengals' record would be if they had been playing half the season with more than two linebackers. That's the beautiful thing about football. Thanks to injuries, teams like the Steelers have a chance to beat teams like the Bengals. The Bengals are without their best player (Willie Anderson), Rudi Johnson, and all of their starting linebackers, but the Bengals will still find a way to win because they are better than the Steelers.

Were the Steelers better than the Bengals in the past? Until 2005, yes. Are the Steelers better than the Bengals now? Not really--the record says so, but that's deceiving. Will the Steelers ever be better than the Bengals again? Probably not.

The Steelers are going down, and after next week, the Bengals will be back in first place. 12-4. WHO DEY!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Good thing I've got my bookie on speed dial!!

What is "SAY"? How old is your daughter and what position does she play?
    It's third and fourth graders, my daughter is in the third grade. They don't have any set positions at this level, at least not on this team. She played two quarters on the front line and two back on defense in both games yesterday. She's down at the training table right now throwing back Red Bulls and Snickers.

Oh yeah, Go Bengals!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    She's down at the training table right now throwing back Red Bulls and Snickers.

Breakfast of champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Good luck Bengals fans, it should be an entertaining game.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Good luck Bengals fans, it should be an entertaining game.
    You really think that? I don't see it being remotely entertaining, the Bengals are terrible and stand very very little chance.

Yes, I'm a Bengals fan.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

LOL. The Steelers are going to score at least 40 points today. I can't watch the Bengals any more. It's too hard to watch a defense THIS bad. They should be embarassed.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    LOL. The Steelers are going to score at least 40 points today. I can't watch the Bengals any more. It's too hard to watch a defense THIS bad. They should be embarassed.
    Sad, but true. Cannot cover, cannot pressure the QB. Same ol', same ol'. Obviously management is not embarrassed b/c it is the same thing every year. They also like to play with 10 men on the field (1st PITT TD). Inept on the field and on the sideline.

Yep. I've always been a HUGE fan of Marvin Lewis, but something has changed this year. Any amount of watching this team clearly shows that they are very poorly coached.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field

Go for it. Your defense will not keep you in it, so you have to play for 7 points!!

Marvin just doesn't get it. The defense hasn't even pretended like they were going to stop their offense. So he decides to kick a field goal from the 2 yard line. Just silly.

Turn Off Ads?