Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time

I think it's time

I've always been a traditionalist when it comes to baseball, but I think it's time to bring the DH to the NL. It's a better game to watch. I tried to convince myself for years that the NL was a "more strategic style of game" or "it was how the game was meant to be played", and I just don't believe that anymore. The AL is a much better game to watch. There would be pretty obvious benifits to the Reds by having the DH rule instituted in the National League. Think about letting Dunn DH and putting your pick of who to play left Hopper, Freel, Bruce. Would you really rather see Aaron Harang wave at pitches? Spare me on the pitchers can hit. 8 out of 10 pitchers have pretty much no chance at getting on base. It's so obvious this team would be so much better with the DH in place. Where do you guys stand on bringing the dh to the N.L. and do you thing it will ever happen and if so how long do you think it will take?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: I think it's time

Are you kidding me? Additional offense doesn't make games any more interesting IMO. Seeing how a coach makes a move with a double switch or letting a pitcher hit in the 7th are much more interesting than seeing a one-dimensional player lumber up to the plate 4 times a game. Give me double switches and actual coaching strategy.

Say what you want. I wanna see players do what they do best. I could care less what kind of strategic moves a manager makes in the middle of a game. I don't watch baseball for Tony Larussa, Lou Pinella (unless he throwin bases), Terry Francona, and so on and so forth. I watch to see the best hitters hit and the best pitchers pitch.

I have to disagree I find the AL games rather boring.

No. I would be happy if the AL got rid of the DH. I certainly don't want the NL to start using it.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I don't agree with Tracey Jones very often, but I think he was the one who said he doesn't understand the desire to see pitchers hit. Very few of them are any good at it. He's right. Nothing's worse than having two or three guys on base with two outs in a close game in the second inning but Matt Freaking Belisle is up. And double-switching is just complicated enough to convince the dumbest managers that they're shrewd strategists. Maybe the reason the AL is so magnificently superior is because they put real lineups on the field.

Or not; whatever, the whole game is gonna come crashing down once people realize just how many of these guys have been juicing. I may take up a less stressful hobby like skydiving.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I like the NL better, more strategy, probably just biased though, because of what i've grown up watching.

Lets have Designated fielders.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

The DH was a crazy idea when the AL constituted it back in the 60's and was only brought in because there was no offense in baseball. Now that the pitching is spread between 30 teams it is time to get rid of the DH in the AL, not bring it to the NL. Pinch hitting adds much more strategy to the game...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I think MLB should get rid of the DH. Make players play rather than having a guy walk up to the plate after sitting on his bottom for 20-30 minutes while everyone else is covering a position.

When it comes to the DH, you could use the same reasoning to say that teams should use a designated runner anytime they want without having to pull a player.

No way, AL game is boring compared to the NL. The NL plays it the way it is supposed to be played. Someone mentioned it earlier and I agree, they need to get rid of the DH in the AL. If you can't play D you hit the bricks, or go play tavern league softball.

I'm going to resepectfully disagree. I believe the NL represents the pure game of baseball. I love watching a pitcher who is a "complete" player, both one that pitches well and can hit a little too.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is it that pitchers don't hit well? It's not like they haven't done it since they started playing the game. I know they obviously spend more time developing their pitching and probably spend less time in the cage hitting, but how is that any different from other position players who work on their defense? Why is it acceptable for pitchers to be sub-par hitters?

And designated runners while we are at it.

The way the organization has budgeted payroll the last decade, I believe the DH would be another hinderence in competing against more free spending ballclubs. I believe you would see the Cubs, Cardinals, and Astros be willing to spend more $ in able to gain a competitive advantage. Their would probably be more Jim Thome type players being sought after by those organizations, while the reds would continue to go bargain basement shopping at the modern day Reggie Sanders/ Jeff Conine store. So don't worry that Aaron Harang steps in the bucket every time he swings the bat, just be thankful that the Stros are leading off the top half with Everret, Ausmus, and Wandy Rodriguez. On the other hand, having a DH would up the prospect stock of players who might be lacking in some areas or who are blocked. Think Valaika and Dorn types.
    Last edited by Orenda; 10-26-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The DH was a crazy idea when the AL constituted it back in the 60's and was only brought in because there was no offense in baseball. Now that the pitching is spread between 30 teams it is time to get rid of the DH in the AL, not bring it to the NL. Pinch hitting adds much more strategy to the game...
    DH in the 60's?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Turn Off Ads?