Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

His 2006 was lost as he played through injuries all season, but looking at his 2005 and his 2007 seasons.... all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball. He is currently in the AFL and is only getting partial playing time (6 games, 23 at bats) but he is hitting .435/.480/.739 with 4 XBH and 10 RBI. With some of his teammates leaving for Team USA, I would bet he gets some more playing time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His 2006 was lost as he played through injuries all season, but looking at his 2005 and his 2007 seasons.... all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball. He is currently in the AFL and is only getting partial playing time (6 games, 23 at bats) but he is hitting .435/.480/.739 with 4 XBH and 10 RBI. With some of his teammates leaving for Team USA, I would bet he gets some more playing time.
    I note (assume) that Rosales made your top 15. I agree with that. He should be at AAA and could be a good fill-in player with the Reds or some other major league team. Don't know if he has the power, speed or defensive ability to be a starting player, but if he hits he'll be somewhere.

I think of Valaika and Rosales as the same type of player, but am concerned about Valaika. His "slump" didn't just start at Sarasota; I think he tailed off late in his stint at Dayton and hasn't hit since. Valaika needs to hit, it's his main tool, but he does have youth on his side and hopefully will snap back.

Glad Rosales is getting the chance to show his skills in the AFL, hope his hitting continues at AAA against more advanced pitching. I think it will.

Oh, and Jordan Smith is a top 40 guy in my book. His 1.29 WHIP in his first full year was outstanding as was his GO/FO number (something like 1.8). Doesn't walk many. For the Reds and many other teams his ground ball tendencies make him a viable prospect with advantages over, say, a Raf Gonzalez who is also a good prospect but a fly ball type.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-26-2007 at 10:50 AM.

all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball.
    And run to first on walks. Apparently, he's one of those super high energy guys -- sure to play well -- very, very well -- in Cincinnati.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I note (assume) that Rosales made your top 15. I agree with that. He should be at AAA and could be a good fill-in player with the Reds or some other major league team. Don't know if he has the power, speed or defensive ability to be a starting player, but if he hits he'll be somewhere.

I think of Valaika and Rosales as the same type of player, but am concerned about Valaika. His "slump" didn't just start at Sarasota; I think he tailed off late in his stint at Dayton and hasn't hit since. Valaika needs to hit, it's his main tool, but he does have youth on his side and hopefully will snap back.

Glad Rosales is getting the chance to show his skills in the AFL, hope his hitting continues at AAA against more advanced pitching. I think it will.

Oh, and Jordan Smith is a top 40 guy in my book. His 1.29 WHIP in his first full year was outstanding as was his GO/FO number (something like 1.8). Doesn't walk many. For the Reds and many other teams his ground ball tendencies make him a viable prospect with advantages over, say, a Raf Gonzalez who is also a good prospect but a fly ball type.
    Valaika hit well yesterday in Hawaii. 3-3 with a double, HR and both RBI in a 2-0 win. I am concerned about his fall off, but not enough to put a ton of stock into it. As for Smith, I think a lot of the 30-45 guys are easily changeable. If I remade the list today, he might come in as high as 30. He certainly is someone I like, but the Reds actually have some good depth in the system and for being a guy who throws hard (like Rafael Gonzalez), he isn't missing a ton of bats. Gonzalez might get a lot more outs on fly balls, but in terms of fly ball and ground balls put in play, he is basically even at 48% GB and 52% FB. Smith is getting 55% GB and 45% FB.... which is a little better, but not extreme GB either.

Glad to see Rosales getting some much deserved attention. I keep hearing him mentioned, though, as a kind of part time guy, and I keep trying to make the case that he is quite potentially something a lot more than that. Guys who get 50% of their hits for extra bases will play everyday somewhere. He needs to do that again at Louisville next year, and then, if the Reds can't offer him everyday status, just wait until somebody does. Good to see Valaika having a big day yesterday. His adjustment at Sarasota was a bit slow this year, but I don't see a lot of reasont to be concerned about that. Joey Votto had a tough year at Sarasota two years ago too. My bigger concerns about him are his drop-off in line drives and his continued very low percentage of walks.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Glad to see Rosales getting some much deserved attention. I keep hearing him mentioned, though, as a kind of part time guy, and I keep trying to make the case that he is quite potentially something a lot more than that. Guys who get 50% of their hits for extra bases will play everyday somewhere. He needs to do that again at Louisville next year, and then, if the Reds can't offer him everyday status, just wait until somebody does. Good to see Valaika having a big day yesterday. His adjustment at Sarasota was a bit slow this year, but I don't see a lot of reasont to be concerned about that. Joey Votto had a tough year at Sarasota two years ago too. My bigger concerns about him are his drop-off in line drives and his continued very low percentage of walks.
    Votto had the 'take the first pitch' restriction in his struggles in Sarasota though. Like you though, Valaika's drop in line drive rate was big and it worries me, even more so than his lack of walks.

As for Rosales, my thought process is this one.... if the Reds end up trading Encarnacion, could he take over 3B soon? I am willing to bet he could. I love Edwin, so I don't exactly want it to happen, but the rumors are always swirling about him getting moved.

As a 3B, though, he might soon feel the hot breath of Todd Frazier on the back of his neck...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    As a 3B, though, he might soon feel the hot breath of Todd Frazier on the back of his neck...
    Possibly, though there has been talk of Frazier moving to a corner OF spot too. Its nice to have this depth stuff, it makes things interesting.

Thanks for the positve heads up on Adam Rosales..He loves the game...

I love Adam Dunn and want him to stay, but he does represent a lot of money that could be used for significant upgrades in the pitching. Therefore I keep my fingers crossed that two years out we may see an Adam Rosales/Danny Dorn platoon in left field, with Hamilton in CF and Bruce in RF and Stubbs knocking on the door.

Find him a position other than first base and we've got a legitimate prospect on our hands.

A guy who can get 50% of his hits for extra bases can play first base.

If he kees hitting like this, it won't be an issue. I'm just saying it seems like a former shortstop would be able to provide decent glove work from a position other than first base.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Possibly, though there has been talk of Frazier moving to a corner OF spot too. Its nice to have this depth stuff, it makes things interesting.
    Absolutly. Depth is what makes a winner. Competition can fuel prospects to develop faster. I just hope that this guy is going to take to the competition well.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If he kees hitting like this, it won't be an issue. I'm just saying it seems like a former shortstop would be able to provide decent glove work from a position other than first base.
    He has been getting time at 3B as well. Not a ton, but enough to keep him fresh enough over there.

Turn Off Ads?