Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

  1. #1
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    His 2006 was lost as he played through injuries all season, but looking at his 2005 and his 2007 seasons.... all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball. He is currently in the AFL and is only getting partial playing time (6 games, 23 at bats) but he is hitting .435/.480/.739 with 4 XBH and 10 RBI. With some of his teammates leaving for Team USA, I would bet he gets some more playing time.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,321

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His 2006 was lost as he played through injuries all season, but looking at his 2005 and his 2007 seasons.... all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball. He is currently in the AFL and is only getting partial playing time (6 games, 23 at bats) but he is hitting .435/.480/.739 with 4 XBH and 10 RBI. With some of his teammates leaving for Team USA, I would bet he gets some more playing time.
    I note (assume) that Rosales made your top 15. I agree with that. He should be at AAA and could be a good fill-in player with the Reds or some other major league team. Don't know if he has the power, speed or defensive ability to be a starting player, but if he hits he'll be somewhere.

    I think of Valaika and Rosales as the same type of player, but am concerned about Valaika. His "slump" didn't just start at Sarasota; I think he tailed off late in his stint at Dayton and hasn't hit since. Valaika needs to hit, it's his main tool, but he does have youth on his side and hopefully will snap back.

    Glad Rosales is getting the chance to show his skills in the AFL, hope his hitting continues at AAA against more advanced pitching. I think it will.

    Oh, and Jordan Smith is a top 40 guy in my book. His 1.29 WHIP in his first full year was outstanding as was his GO/FO number (something like 1.8). Doesn't walk many. For the Reds and many other teams his ground ball tendencies make him a viable prospect with advantages over, say, a Raf Gonzalez who is also a good prospect but a fly ball type.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-26-2007 at 10:50 AM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,259

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    all he does is hit the crap out of the baseball.
    And run to first on walks. Apparently, he's one of those super high energy guys -- sure to play well -- very, very well -- in Cincinnati.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I note (assume) that Rosales made your top 15. I agree with that. He should be at AAA and could be a good fill-in player with the Reds or some other major league team. Don't know if he has the power, speed or defensive ability to be a starting player, but if he hits he'll be somewhere.

    I think of Valaika and Rosales as the same type of player, but am concerned about Valaika. His "slump" didn't just start at Sarasota; I think he tailed off late in his stint at Dayton and hasn't hit since. Valaika needs to hit, it's his main tool, but he does have youth on his side and hopefully will snap back.

    Glad Rosales is getting the chance to show his skills in the AFL, hope his hitting continues at AAA against more advanced pitching. I think it will.

    Oh, and Jordan Smith is a top 40 guy in my book. His 1.29 WHIP in his first full year was outstanding as was his GO/FO number (something like 1.8). Doesn't walk many. For the Reds and many other teams his ground ball tendencies make him a viable prospect with advantages over, say, a Raf Gonzalez who is also a good prospect but a fly ball type.
    Valaika hit well yesterday in Hawaii. 3-3 with a double, HR and both RBI in a 2-0 win. I am concerned about his fall off, but not enough to put a ton of stock into it. As for Smith, I think a lot of the 30-45 guys are easily changeable. If I remade the list today, he might come in as high as 30. He certainly is someone I like, but the Reds actually have some good depth in the system and for being a guy who throws hard (like Rafael Gonzalez), he isn't missing a ton of bats. Gonzalez might get a lot more outs on fly balls, but in terms of fly ball and ground balls put in play, he is basically even at 48% GB and 52% FB. Smith is getting 55% GB and 45% FB.... which is a little better, but not extreme GB either.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,628

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Glad to see Rosales getting some much deserved attention. I keep hearing him mentioned, though, as a kind of part time guy, and I keep trying to make the case that he is quite potentially something a lot more than that. Guys who get 50% of their hits for extra bases will play everyday somewhere. He needs to do that again at Louisville next year, and then, if the Reds can't offer him everyday status, just wait until somebody does. Good to see Valaika having a big day yesterday. His adjustment at Sarasota was a bit slow this year, but I don't see a lot of reasont to be concerned about that. Joey Votto had a tough year at Sarasota two years ago too. My bigger concerns about him are his drop-off in line drives and his continued very low percentage of walks.

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Glad to see Rosales getting some much deserved attention. I keep hearing him mentioned, though, as a kind of part time guy, and I keep trying to make the case that he is quite potentially something a lot more than that. Guys who get 50% of their hits for extra bases will play everyday somewhere. He needs to do that again at Louisville next year, and then, if the Reds can't offer him everyday status, just wait until somebody does. Good to see Valaika having a big day yesterday. His adjustment at Sarasota was a bit slow this year, but I don't see a lot of reasont to be concerned about that. Joey Votto had a tough year at Sarasota two years ago too. My bigger concerns about him are his drop-off in line drives and his continued very low percentage of walks.
    Votto had the 'take the first pitch' restriction in his struggles in Sarasota though. Like you though, Valaika's drop in line drive rate was big and it worries me, even more so than his lack of walks.

    As for Rosales, my thought process is this one.... if the Reds end up trading Encarnacion, could he take over 3B soon? I am willing to bet he could. I love Edwin, so I don't exactly want it to happen, but the rumors are always swirling about him getting moved.

  8. #7
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,727

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    As a 3B, though, he might soon feel the hot breath of Todd Frazier on the back of his neck...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    As a 3B, though, he might soon feel the hot breath of Todd Frazier on the back of his neck...
    Possibly, though there has been talk of Frazier moving to a corner OF spot too. Its nice to have this depth stuff, it makes things interesting.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Thanks for the positve heads up on Adam Rosales..He loves the game...

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,628

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    I love Adam Dunn and want him to stay, but he does represent a lot of money that could be used for significant upgrades in the pitching. Therefore I keep my fingers crossed that two years out we may see an Adam Rosales/Danny Dorn platoon in left field, with Hamilton in CF and Bruce in RF and Stubbs knocking on the door.

  12. #11
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,807

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Find him a position other than first base and we've got a legitimate prospect on our hands.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,628

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    A guy who can get 50% of his hits for extra bases can play first base.

  14. #13
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,807

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    If he kees hitting like this, it won't be an issue. I'm just saying it seems like a former shortstop would be able to provide decent glove work from a position other than first base.

  15. #14
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Possibly, though there has been talk of Frazier moving to a corner OF spot too. Its nice to have this depth stuff, it makes things interesting.
    Absolutly. Depth is what makes a winner. Competition can fuel prospects to develop faster. I just hope that this guy is going to take to the competition well.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  16. #15
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,940

    Re: Adam Rosales just keeps hitting

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If he kees hitting like this, it won't be an issue. I'm just saying it seems like a former shortstop would be able to provide decent glove work from a position other than first base.
    He has been getting time at 3B as well. Not a ton, but enough to keep him fresh enough over there.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25