Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: United Way

United Way

Anyone listen to Scott Sloan the other night on the United Way and the pressure tactics they use in one's place of employment to get donations? I listened to many people call in and relate their experiences, and I absolutely concurred with what some were saying about the annual UW campaign drives at work.

At Honda, and it's in their handbook, any charitable solicitation is strictly forbidden except the company sanctioned and operated United Way campaign every year.

And like Sloan said... "They have found a way to hack into your company's payroll!"

Every year, and in every department, there is an employee "nominated" to go around to every associate soliciting them to sign a card where money is weekly payroll-deducted from their check. And it's not "Would you like to give to the United Way?" but (showing you the card) "Here is the recommended level we would like to see every one of our associates sign up for." And even if you choose not to participate they say you have to check off on the card and sign it. And I always ask WHY, and they say because you have to because it's for tracking/accounting purposes.

It's not that I don't think the UW is a worthwhile organization and doesn't do alot of good locally.... it's the methodology that is being utilized within the place of employment that bothers me. And yes, I've heard alot of testimonies from people that a type of pressure sales is involved.

The UW, as well as the employer, has turned it into a type of competition where they give out ribbons, plagues, and various awards for recognition of contribution levels. I've read stories in various other workplaces where managers will tell their employees they expect them to contribute so much because they don't want their depratment to look bad, or that it will somehow personally reflect on them.

During the drive they put up graphs at the entrances of the plant showing where the contribution levels are at, and in the shift meetings they'll occassionally read memos reminding people what level they are trying to reach and again encourage assocaites to sign up if they have not already done so.

I'm just one who believes that charitable giving is to not only come from the heart, but is also a personal, private matter that, IMHO, doesn't require some sort of outward recognition or pat on the back. One gives without any expectation of a return.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: United Way

I don't do United Way. I remamber that scandal they had several years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Same thing happens at my job. Exactly.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The military does: The Combine Federal Campaign or CFC. Every year you are armed twisted to give. The CFC reps have to list who they contacted and note if everyone gave or not, did the branch make it's "goal", did they give more than last year? etc. But it's usually the new troops, fresh out of basic that are giving the most out of their paychecks, because they think everyone is giving the "suggested" amount. And some want to reach whatever they call it status. Something like "Gold or Platinum Status"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Mrs. Unassisted's employer ties the company dress code to meeting their United Way goal. If you want to wear casual clothes in that workplace, you'd better be contributing to the United Way. If it should happen that they don't meet their goal, it's neckties for the men and dresses for the women for the next year.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Mrs. Unassisted's employer ties the company dress code to meeting their United Way goal. If you want to wear casual clothes in that workplace, you'd better be contributing to the United Way. If it should happen that they don't meet their goal, it's neckties for the men and dresses for the women for the next year.
    And if you don't give, then it neckties for the women and dresses for the men.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We are currently inundated with emails on a daily basis during 'drive time' when they are looking to meet their goals. They give you 'rewards' like an extra day off if you contribute a certain amount per pay period. They have a picnic here for us and its almost like a time share, you have to go through this meeting with them before they'll let you eat or go participate in the softball game and all that.

It's like an accepted scam, thats for sure.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    We have a business casual work environment. If you purchase and wear a UW sticker then you are allowed to wear jeans to work-as long as there isn't a customer visiting. Same methods used here with memo's, charts, meetings, presentations. At the big meeting to kick off the new year's campaign they always bring in somebody who has benefitted from UW's services to tell their story. We also have to sign the pledge card if you are not participating.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I used to work at a place that had a partnership with the United Way. I couldn't believe it when they asked us to have money drawn directly from our paycheck and "suggested" that 10% would be a good donation. What is that? I thought I was at church. But at least the Catholic Church didn't have my boss handing me the form for having the money taken directly from my paycheck. If I didn't know better, I'd think the United Way was run by the Mob.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I work at the corporate HQ of a large apparel manufacturer. Every year, we have 'mandatory' United Way meetings. Meetings are held over the course of a week and there is always a representative from one of the local organizations funded through United Way there to give their little plea for your money. What makes me so annoyed though is that our company makes you sign an attendance sheet (so they can later harass the people who didn't show up), then during the meeting everyone is expected to fill out their little pledge card and turn it in before leaving the meeting. So, basically, they are trying to pressure you to give something because everyone is in there looking at each other and knows whether or not you fill your pledge form out. If you don't want to pledge, then you still sign your form and turn it in (then everyone knows who didn't pledge anything). It's ridiculous.

I've decided that next year I'm not filling out the card. And I'm going to challenge them as to what they can do if I don't? I'm a rebel.

Back when I worked at Kroger they would pressure us pretty hard to donate. I got a good chunk back though. Everyone who donated had their name put into a drawing for a paid day off, which I won. You didn't actually get a day off, they just added eight hours onto your check. I was pretty close to 40 hours as it was, so when they tacked on the extra eight they paid me overtime for them. That worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't do United Way. I remamber that scandal they had several years back.
    Exactly!!

They held the 9-11 money for months drawing interest on it.

They pay their CEO's 6 figure salaries. 6 figures salaries are great for a for-profit business, not a non-profit charity.

They pulled their financial support for the Boys Scouts for not allowing Gay scout masters.

They never will get a dime of my money.

I give to the Salvation Army, and the DAV monthy.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I used to work for one the big accounting firm in their Cincinnati office, and the pressure there was pretty unbelievable. You could donate, but if you didn't donate your "fair share" according to your salary, you got a call from one of the partners. And if you're fresh out of undergrad trying to build a career, a call from a partner could be very "persuasive."

But at the time, I was donating a decent chunk of change to another organization who was sorely lacking in funds, who I thought needed it more and which was relevant to some my extended family who suffered from the disease I donated to. I didn't back down and told them I would rather donate there. I didn't go over well, but I knew I was only going to be there a couple of years, so I didn't really care.

Since that happened, I no longer donate at all to UW.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I used to work for one the big accounting firm in their Cincinnati office, and the pressure there was pretty unbelievable. You could donate, but if you didn't donate your "fair share" according to your salary, you got a call from one of the partners. And if you're fresh out of undergrad trying to build a career, a call from a partner could be very "persuasive."

But at the time, I was donating a decent chunk of change to another organization who was sorely lacking in funds, who I thought needed it more and which was relevant to some my extended family who suffered from the disease I donated to. I didn't back down and told them I would rather donate there. I didn't go over well, but I knew I was only going to be there a couple of years, so I didn't really care.

Since that happened, I no longer donate at all to UW.
    And your situation, which I have heard alot of, is exactly what I am talking about.

Turn Off Ads?