Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds eye doc pleaded with Bowden to go after Youkilis

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Reds eye doc pleaded with Bowden to go after Youkilis

This was a letter to the editor of the Enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0332/1022/EDIT

Local hero Kevin Youkilis could have played as a Red
    The come-from-behind victory of the Boston Red Sox over the Cleveland Indians was in no small part due to Cincinnati native Kevin Youkilis. He continued his errorless season and hit a staggering .500 at the plate. A recent article in Sports Illustrated revealed a story about a youngster who encountered neither support nor accolades as he progressed through high school and college. Having coached Kevin from ages 5 through 12, I thought that I would provide an additional "story behind the story."

Kevin was the most enthusiastic player that I can ever remember in three decades of coaching. Yet, he was never the heralded "star." At Blue Ash, Ohio State and national championships, Kevin was a steady performer but far from sensational. Yet his work ethic and passion were second to none. He simply would never quit.

When I was the team ophthalmologist with the Reds, I pleaded with Jim Bowden to consider Kevin. But on paper, he did not fit the typical mold that excites baseball people who are unable to evaluate desire, determination and heart. Otherwise, the Reds would boast another local outstanding product joining the ranks of Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Larkin.

Robert H. Osher
    professor of ophthalmology,
    University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
    medical director emeritus, Cincinnati Eye Institute
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds eye doc pleaded with Bowden to go after Youkilis

Funny, that's the 2nd eye doc reference I've seen regarding a Red Sox player this week. Their guy said Pedroia tested better than anyone he'd ever tested before. Maybe teams should pay more attention to their recommendations.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Billy Beane sure wanted him. I do like Francona's quote from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Youkilis

In the book, Lewis mentions Youkilis and referred to him as "Euclis, the Greek God of Walks." Lewis also revealed that Beane repeatedly tried to trade for Youkilis before Youkilis reached the major-league level.

In reference to his title of "Greek God of Walks," Red Sox manager Terry Francona stated "I've seen Youkilis in the shower, and I wouldn't call him the Greek god of anything."

Pay attention to the open sky

Bowden liked to draft toolsy players, so I'm not surprised Youkilis wasn't really on his radar.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Bowden liked to draft toolsy players.
    Bowden was making draft calls during the 8th round?

may have been that the doc wanted Bowden to send scouts to see Youkilis, but Bowden didn't follow up
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

wish we had Youkilis, but I'm also kind of glad that we didn't draft a guy because our team eye doctor coached him at age 5

Juan Castro was one heckuva five-year-old, I'll bet

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    wish we had Youkilis, but I'm also kind of glad that we didn't draft a guy because our team eye doctor coached him at age 5

Juan Castro was one heckuva five-year-old, I'll bet
    Exactly, I don't want the GM or whoever runs the draft to give serious weight to every random comment he gets.

I wonder how many players that Osher recommended that turned out to be busts? That doesn't make the headlines, I suppose.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

a poster on this board named relaxed larry suggested trading larkin straight up for youk back in 2001

he was dismissed as a troll
    Go BLUE!!!

I imagine he instructed his scouts and player development personnel to go for toolsy players in every round.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    a poster on this board named relaxed larry suggested trading larkin straight up for youk back in 2001

he was dismissed as a troll
    Well Carl and his "lets give him 27 mill" would have torpedoed that plan.
    Go Gators!

Youk is one of those players in which I think all Reds fans could like. He has a high number of walks and plays hard every day. It's kind of like combining Dunn and Hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I imagine he instructed his scouts and player development personnel to go for toolsy players in every round.
    I imagine that he didn't. I distinctly remember him gawking at LA's Paul Konerko, and demanding that the scouts start drafting hitters that could pop, not pure athletes that might or might not hit.

right after, we drafted Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, Ben Broussard. picked up Konerko himself, added Meat and Casey, both of whom had projectible power. I preferred Richie Sexson's athleticism myself.

it didn't last long, but it was an interesting time for the Reds. Matched the boom-boom decade well. Unfortunately, not a one of them could pitch, Jr came and got injured, and the fans didn't come out in droves for Jr

ironically, the one that I really liked, and whose loss hurt the most, was Cameron, who was a pure athlete who might or might not hit.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I imagine that he didn't. I distinctly remember him gawking at LA's Paul Konerko, and demanding that the scouts start drafting hitters that could pop, not pure athletes that might or might not hit.

right after, we drafted Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, Ben Broussard. picked up Konerko himself, added Meat and Casey, both of whom had projectible power. I preferred Richie Sexson's athleticism myself.

it didn't last long, but it was an interesting time for the Reds. Matched the boom-boom decade well. Unfortunately, not a one of them could pitch, Jr came and got injured, and the fans didn't come out in droves for Jr

ironically, the one that I really liked, and whose loss hurt the most, was Cameron, who was a pure athlete who might or might not hit.
    You just had to say Ben Broussard...

Now you've got me all hot and bothered.

the Greek God of Walks ... Dusty wouldn't like him.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?