Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jays claim Gosling, Lopez from Reds

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Jays claim Gosling, Lopez from Reds

Man, I hate to lose these two players just like that.

Especially Pedro Lopez. In his limited time/role, I liked what he brought to the team. Not great players to be sure but very useful.

Here is the link:
    http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=221472&hubname=

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Jays claim Gosling, Lopez from Reds

I liked Lopez as a back up shortstop

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I liked Lopez as a back up shortstop
    He's got to be better than Juan Castro.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I Agree Go Reds. I don't get it. Why let young talent like this get away? Let Castro go. Eat his salary Bob, but don't get rid of Gosling and Lopez-Mr.Krivsky. What can he be thinking? Room on the roster for Wood and Prior?

got alil captain in u?

i don't like them picking up lopez or gosling. Gosling could be a very good situational lefty and lopez is a million times better than manos de oro.

This all happened because they are setting up their 40 man roster for the winter, i.e. protecting people for the Rule5 Draft and getting the aging class of minor leaguers onto the 40 man to keep control of them.

That said, I feel like Lopez is a legitimate loss for the org. He played SS very well when he had the chance. Plus they don't seem to be very deep at middle infield, particularly SS. If everyone remembers, the only reason they broke down and finally used Keppinger at SS was that they literally had no one else (except if they moved Phillips over from 2b) to put at short with Gonzalez out on bereavement and Lopez (and Castro) injured.

At this point I would think aside from his shrinking range, Castro is a gamble to count on before mid season becasue of the Tommy John surgery. Freel at SS for any more than a day or two emergency stint would be even worse. And I certainly don't see them keeping Gonzo around if they would decide to go with Kepp as their starting SS; so, I'm thinking Lopez is one they hoped to "sneak thru" and have accept outright assignment to the minors to have available for next year just like he was this year.

As for Gosling, he was no better than the 3rd leftie out of the pen (after Bray and Coutlangus) and that's assuming they move or eat Stanton and don't resign Guardado. Personally, I'm guessing one of those two will be around at least in camp plus I think there were some younger leftie guys at AA/ AAA that might also move into the picture in the spring. So while Gosling had shown some promise as a leftie on leftie only guy, I don't think it was enough to keep him around given the total context of lefties they figure to have available in the spring.

Overall it seems to me it is a good sign for the org to be having guys claimed by other MLB teams as opposed to being the ones working the cast off bin for mistakes. Of course we won't know who the Reds waived and got thru until next week or later when they announce the people outrighted off the 40 man. And that might change some opinions.

The Reds have a lot of young players who will be exposed to the rule 5 draft this year. I don't know the eligibiiity rules, so I don't know who they need to protect, but they need to add Bruce, Cueto and a bunch of young pitchers who had strong years last year.

Lopez is a loss, but guys like him come around all the time. They have Janish to take his place in AAA next year.

They also need to keep spots open for free agent signings and any players they want to take in the rule 5 draft themselves. They did pretty well last year in the rule 5 draft last year, so not a bad idea to keep a spot or two open.

Here is a linik to a quick and simple Rule 5 explanation

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...skbarule5.html

Basically depending on a player's age when he is drafted, the team has 3 or 4 seasons before they have to put him on the 40 man roster to protect him from being drafted. If on the 5th of June prior to signing the first contract the player is 18 or younger, then the major league team has 4 years before they have to put him on the 40 man. Players 19 or older on the June 5th prior to their first contract must be put on the 40 man after 3 years to remain protected.

Of course if a player is left unprotected and drafted, the Rule 5 drafting team must leave him on their active (25 man) major league roster the entire following season or offer him back to the original team. Additionally even if the original team does not want the player back, he must clear major league waivers before the Rule5 drafting team can send him down during that first season. Each Rule 5draft pick costs the drafting team $50K; if they send the player back or lose him to waivers they only get half of that fee refunded. As the article points out, in any given year there are probably several hundred guys eligible to be drafted in the Rule 5 draft but very few are because of the roster rule and $25K nonrefundable portion of the per player price tag.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 10-26-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds have a lot of young players who will be exposed to the rule 5 draft this year. I don't know the eligibiiity rules, so I don't know who they need to protect, but they need to add Bruce, Cueto and a bunch of young pitchers who had strong years last year.

Lopez is a loss, but guys like him come around all the time. They have Janish to take his place in AAA next year.

They also need to keep spots open for free agent signings and any players they want to take in the rule 5 draft themselves. They did pretty well last year in the rule 5 draft last year, so not a bad idea to keep a spot or two open.
    Bruce and Cueto really don't need to be added. They are in no danger of being taken in the rule five draft, as they are not eligible. I say we keep them off the 40 man roster until we need to have them up here. I really hope they can get another good young reliever this year in the rule 5 draft.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Bruce and Cueto really don't need to be added. They are in no danger of being taken in the rule five draft, as they are not eligible. I say we keep them off the 40 man roster until we need to have them up here. I really hope they can get another good young reliever this year in the rule 5 draft.
    At the time, I thought that wanting to hold the 40 man roster spots for other folks was the major reason we did not see Cueto or Bruce in a Reds uniform during September, particularly Bruce once Hamilton and GriffeyJr were both down by the middle of the month. Then we heard last week that Bruce was nursing his hamstring already even before the close of the AAA season, so in his case at least maybe not.

The Reds had I believe 3 guys on the 60 day DL at the end of season which means they weren't counting against the 40 man, so right there are 3 guys that needed spots on the 40 man aside from the kids aging into needing spots.

My understanding is that the guys who are eligible to become free agents technically stay on the 40 man until they file for free agency. Should any of them not file for FA, they would be bound to the Reds and stay on unless the Reds did not tender them a contract offer (that deadline is in December but I believe the club can say at any point prior to the deadline that they decline to offer a contract and the person is a FA immediately).
    Last edited by jnwohio; 10-27-2007 at 07:41 PM.

I have to disagree about guys like Pedro Lopez "... guys like him come around all the time." W/O knowing Lopez' full potential, it's easy to understand why Toronto will take a chance on Pedro and a young and fully capable of improving lefty in Gosling.

Sure, Wayne Krivsky had a heck of a Rule 5 draft last year but let's be reasonable, reaping talent like Hamilton and Burton more than likely won't happen (again) in this upcoming draft. Totally great if someone like those two should shake out this draft but I'm not counting on it.

So let's look at Dusty Baler's claim of bringing in some players. I strongly believe Kerry Wood will be joining the Reds and soon (before Christmas). I have no inside knowledge of this, just a feeling. KW in light of the poor offerings of the 2007 Pitching Free agents, would be a nice aquisition for the bullpen. I wouldn't consider for a minute using Wood as a starting pitcher. Mark Prior- I'm not as sure about but if he would sign an incentive laden contract, I would sign him. Realizing who Krivsky has offered 2+ year contracts to, making these moves toward Wood and Prior could pay off in a big way under Baker and Pole. Dusty Baker would like nothing more than to prove his critics wrong by once again getting to manage these pitchers in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I have to disagree about guys like Pedro Lopez "... guys like him come around all the time." W/O knowing Lopez' full potential, it's easy to understand why Toronto will take a chance on Pedro and a young and fully capable of improving lefty in Gosling.

Sure, Wayne Krivsky had a heck of a Rule 5 draft last year but let's be reasonable, reaping talent like Hamilton and Burton more than likely won't happen (again) in this upcoming draft. Totally great if someone like those two should shake out this draft but I'm not counting on it.

So let's look at Dusty Baler's claim of bringing in some players. I strongly believe Kerry Wood will be joining the Reds and soon (before Christmas). I have no inside knowledge of this, just a feeling. KW in light of the poor offerings of the 2007 Pitching Free agents, would be a nice aquisition for the bullpen. I wouldn't consider for a minute using Wood as a starting pitcher. Mark Prior- I'm not as sure about but if he would sign an incentive laden contract, I would sign him. Realizing who Krivsky has offered 2+ year contracts to, making these moves toward Wood and Prior could pay off in a big way under Baker and Pole. Dusty Baker would like nothing more than to prove his critics wrong by once again getting to manage these pitchers in 2008.
    agree with everything except Gosling... Wood would be a great move

I can understand designating Lopez. I don't see him being someone to tie up a spot on the 40 man roster. Plus he was down on the list for infielders right now. However, I would have held on to Gosling. I liked what he did last year. If he could just have cut down on his walks, he would have had a better year, but I saw alot of plus side too him. Just felt he got away way to easily, and got nothing in return.

Turn Off Ads?