Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DH rule continues to prove its stupidity...

Re: DH rule continues to prove its stupidity...

Maybe, but most teams would use an extra spot for another relief pitcher or bench player, cheap guys.

Add 5 more roster spots and maybe the union will get on board
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    [krivsky]

Seven catchers!

[/krivsky]
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Maybe, but most teams would use an extra spot for another relief pitcher or bench player, cheap guys.

See, I don't see it that the big salary DHs would lose their jobs. I think that most teams would be willing to take a hit on defense to keep the guy in the lineup. I think it would hurt those 1B and LF platoon guys who can't hit LH/RH pitching and would find themselves in a PH role because their position is filled. The only player they discussed it affecting the last time was Edgar Martinez, and that's because they thought he might have to retire because of his knees. He ended up retiring not long after than anyway.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Before we reach a consensus to abolish, let's ask ourselves:

What if the Big Red Machine had the DH? Bench could have DH'd 2-3 times per week and saved wear and tear. Perez and Foster and Rose could have spent time there also, as well as Driessen. It would have made them even better than they were.
    I dont think having Bill Plummer, Don Werner, or Pat Corrales in the lineup for 2-3 days a week would of been a benefit to the Reds. Having Bench as a DH would have saved on wear and tear but anything gained by saving his body at DH would have been cancelled out with subs catching instead of him
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    [krivsky]

Seven catchers!

[/krivsky]
    One for every pitcher
    Go Gators!

They should get rid of the dh but have a player who can pinch hit 3 times or something. Of course, that would radically alter the game, but at least pitchers would still have to bat.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Dice-K was 1-3 for 2 RBI's tonight.
    Did they say when was the last time he hit? Do they use the DH in Japan?

The designated runner was another of Charlie Finleys' ideas, maybe we'll see that in a few years
    Charlie Finley can't enact these rules himself. Allowing the DH to begin in the AL was the worst decision in Bowie Kuhn's career and he made a lot of dumb decisions. His intention was to try it on an interim basis but what he actually did was let the cat out of the bag. It's crazy that MLB has two sets of rules. That never should have been allowed to happen.

Rob Neyer said in his chat (last night I think) that the large majority of owners in both leagues would like to get rid of the DH but that the union would never allow it. Because the owners are generally fairly old, they prefer the game played the way it was when they where young. The reason the union wont go for it is because it would cost the players jobs.

Seems like a reasonable take on the current situation.
    Last edited by GullyFoyle; 10-28-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Most players I hear interviewed on the subject prefer the NL game. Guys like Mark McGwire would say things like "I like the pace of the NL game better." The bench players prefer it 'cause they're used more. A lot of the current DHs like it 'cause they still think they can field. I guarantee you guys like Dunn and Jr do not want to DH.

I think by a fair number the majority of players prefer the NL game. But the Union tells them doing away with the DH will cost them money in a trickle down way so they stand behind the Union.

I think the owners have to give them some sort of carrot and then phase out the DH over a number of years. However, I do not see that the owners have the stomach for such a battle

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I think the owners have to give them some sort of carrot and then phase out the DH over a number of years. However, I do not see that the owners have the stomach for such a battle
    They don't want to give up the carrot. Institutional memory carries on the bitterness of getting beat by Marvin Miller.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?