Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Chris Dickerson make the Reds?

Re: Can Chris Dickerson make the Reds?

He can make the Reds in spring training as a reserve outfielder. Freel will probably be moved, and there are some doubts about whether Hopper can duplicate his 2007 success. Dickerson plays outstanding defense, but he will need to make better contact and cut down on the strikeouts to make the Reds out of spring training.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dickerson in AFL so far.

59 ABs, 4 BB's, 4 HR, .288/.344/.593/.937. He's not hurting himself anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I'd take Dickerson over Ellison or Coats.
    True, but I don't think he is competing against them.

Now, this can change between now and opening day, but Dickerson's biggest problem right now is that he is left handed.

Dunn (L)
    Griffey (L)
    Hamilton (L)
    Hopper (R)

Then you also have Bruce in AAA who is a lefty. When you consider the face that Freel is coming back, as much as I'd like to see us part ways he just got a new contract, he is another guy who can probably play the OF.

I just don't think there is room for him right now. Now if Dunn, Griffey, or Hamilton were to be traded and Bruce isn't ready come April, I think that is when a door would open for Dickerson to get a shot.

The fact that they didn't expose him to waivers like they did Pedro Lopez and sent him to Winter Ball shows you the think he has upside.

For the record, I'd love for Chris to get a shot.

I put Dickerson in the frustrating as heck type of player. He has that pure athlete look that maybe makes you expect so much more. I don't know that he'll ever be a hitter though. He can really look horrible sometimes. I care squat for the KOs, but he needs to get his OBP up a ways. I had hope he'd develop power but it looks like he's a 10-15 a year guy at best. He is a true centerfielder, though, could be the fifth outfielder. If he continues to improve at the plate he could become a starter. Give him a half year at Louisville with anything like his AFL numbers and he could either pull you a couple pitching prospects ala Denorfia, or step into a spot role on the Reds.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I put Dickerson in the frustrating as heck type of player. He has that pure athlete look that maybe makes you expect so much more. I don't know that he'll ever be a hitter though. He can really look horrible sometimes. I care squat for the KOs, but he needs to get his OBP up a ways. I had hope he'd develop power but it looks like he's a 10-15 a year guy at best. He is a true centerfielder, though, could be the fifth outfielder. If he continues to improve at the plate he could become a starter. Give him a half year at Louisville with anything like his AFL numbers and he could either pull you a couple pitching prospects ala Denorfia, or step into a spot role on the Reds.
    He has a career milb .355 OBP with a career .100 isolated discipline. That is a solid OBP and an above average isolate discipline number....

One of my reservations about Dickerson is that he has never really flashed great performance -- by that I mean a 2-4 week stretch where he's dominating at the plate. One of those stretches that says he's better than the league he's in. Maybe it will all come together for him this year in AAA and he'll go 30HR or .400 OBP -- let's hope so.

So far, I see a guy whose tools haven't coalesced. He's 25, and he played college baseball, so it's getting late. You have to like his potential as a speed and defense extra outfielder, but I'd like to see him improve as a hitter in AAA in 08 first. Even extra OFs are going to get 150 or so ABs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    One of my reservations about Dickerson is that he has never really flashed great performance -- by that I mean a 2-4 week stretch where he's dominating at the plate. One of those stretches that says he's better than the league he's in. Maybe it will all come together for him this year in AAA and he'll go 30HR or .400 OBP -- let's hope so.

So far, I see a guy whose tools haven't coalesced. He's 25, and he played college baseball, so it's getting late. You have to like his potential as a speed and defense extra outfielder, but I'd like to see him improve as a hitter in AAA in 08 first. Even extra OFs are going to get 150 or so ABs.
    The second half of the season last year he posted something like a .912 OPS in AA. For a great centerfielder, thats pretty dominating at the plate.

Notes: Dickerson the full package
    Prospect looking to find a place in crowded outfield
    By MarK Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Chris Dickerson isn't usually the first name name you'll hear regarding the Reds' outfield mix, but the prospect is another indication of the organization's increasingly robust depth in that area.

Dickerson, 24, is getting an opportunity to showcase his talents in this year's Arizona Fall League. Playing for Surprise, he's batting .261 (18-for-69) with four home runs and 14 RBIs in 20 games.

After the 2006 season spent at Double-A Chattanooga, Dickerson had surgery to repair an injury in his right (non-throwing) shoulder. This season, he batted a combined .263 with 14 homers and 55 RBIs in 134 games combined at Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville.

"He came back this year strong and played well in Louisville," Reds player development director Terry Reynolds said. "It carried into the Fall League. The people in Arizona have been pleased with him."

A 16th-round pick in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft, Dickerson is prone to striking out -- he had 162 this season compared to 59 walks. But he's one of the organization's fastest players, with 30 steals this past season.

Dickerson, who is on the Reds' 40-man roster, is expected to be in Spring Training. He can expect to find the odds of making the team challenging. Cincinnati already has outfielders Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Josh Hamilton, Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel on the big league roster. The organization's top position prospect, Jay Bruce, is also an outfielder.

"This is a complete player of strength and speed," Reynolds said of Dickerson. "Whether he puts it together in the big leagues remains to be seen, but the package of tools is a good one."

I wish him all the best. He will be in spring training, and will get a chance to make the 25 man roster. The Reds crowded outfield might make getting a spot difficult however.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Not that it has anything to do with his current performance, but wasn't he the guy who took over first base at McNeese State when Ben Broussard left?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Not that it has anything to do with his current performance, but wasn't he the guy who took over first base at McNeese State when Ben Broussard left?
    Dickerson went to Nevada.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Dickerson went to Nevada.
    You're right, it was Chris WILLIAMS. Sorry, my mistake...carry on.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Chris Dickerson in 2008

it looks like he is a non prospect unless he turns it on real quick.
    26 years old and OPSing .718 at AAA

the Reds need an outfielder and are forced to bring patterson back because they have more faith in him than dickerson. ouch.

He's "only" 26 years old and had a .361 OBP during a full season at AAA last year. He's lit it up the last week with an OPS of 1.400+. His OPS last year was a respectable .800 at AAA.

Baker's Manlove for Patterson is stunting Dickerson's growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Baker's Manlove for Patterson is stunting Dickerson's growth.
    The organization pretty much gave up on Dickerson last off season when they brought in Bubba Crosby. Since then the reds have given brief major league appearances to several guys (Hopper/Ellison/Coats) while Dickerson has sat at AAA pretty much doing the same thing.

That's two managers and a GM back. I don't see how you can blame Baker. As it stands I suspect they would call up Cabrera or even Anderson before Dickerson.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

As long as Corey Patterson is wasting a space on the 25-man , there is a place for Dickerson to take. I think he can give them much the same defense and Patterson has certainly set the offensive bar low enough. I guess CP's experience counts for something, but not the $2.5M difference worth of something.

CD may never be an offensive force, but he may have some ceiling too, which CP has already reached. I'd have no problem with him as a 5th OF/defensive replacement.

Patterson's signing was the worst move WK made (I know it's debatable who actually had the final call on the idioscy though).

Turn Off Ads?