Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AFL's Arizona Rattlers franchise put its money where its mouth is...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

AFL's Arizona Rattlers franchise put its money where its mouth is...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: D'Backs put their money where there mouth is...

Whoa. That strikes me as kinda gutsy. Weren't the D-Backs like WAY over their pythag this year? Something about that team just never added up for me... but I suppose they do have a lot of young talent, especially if Upton and Drew come around next year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Nope the wouldn't do it and the Diamondbacks aren't either. It's the Arizona Rattlers, an AFL team, not the Diamondbacks.
    Last edited by harangatang; 10-31-2007 at 01:10 AM.

No big league sports team would do this, because they aren't insane
    Go Gators!

Re: AFL's Arizona Rattlers franchise put its money where its mouth is...

Back in the early 90's, Dayton had a minor league basketball team called the "Wings". They played in the IBL which was a summer league team.

They started off 5-5. After the last game, the owner of the team, Milt Kantor, announced that everytime the Wings won a home game, you could get a free ticket to the next game.

They won 21 in a row. Home and Away. Their first loss was a double overtime loss at home. I bet I spent at least 2-3 games a week at the Nutter Center.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Nope the wouldn't do it and the Diamondbacks aren't either. It's the Arizona Rattlers, an AFL team, not the Diamondbacks.
    That's what happens when I post things after a 10+ hour work day without a break

Oh well....

Interesting. It's a risk, but not too much when you consider the concessions and merchandise purchased by fans who would not otherwise attend. Google shows their average attendance last year was 10,000 fans and has been going down steadily from 15,000 when they started in the early 90's. Google says they have 5,500 season ticket holders. The new ones would have been empty seats anyway, so the only real loss would be the 5,500 if they don't make the playoffs. Tickets average $29, 16 games, so 5,500 x $29 x 16 = $2.64MM. Subtract 3% since they hold the money for a half year or so before repayment and it's $2.56MM. Maybe less since I'd assume season tickets packages are discounted.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It must be nice to run a professional sports franchise for a hobby. I don't think many owners could even afford to take that gamble...or is the plan to declare bankruptcy if they don't make the playoffs?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?