Thread: Ohio State - Penn State Game Thread

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Ohio State - Penn State Game Thread

Turn out the lights.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Watching it live I didn't think it was a catch, but like you say I saw no video evidence to overturn a ruling of a catch.
    And in the end, we get the points back on the board anyway with a little less clock for them to work with.

Chris Wells is freaking good and is only going to get better.

BTW, I refus to call him "beanie." Where did that come from anyway?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

It is a nickname his brother gave him when they were kids.

According to Chris...."I got the nickname because when I was a baby, I came out and my big brother said I had a bean head."

http://www.chrisbeaniewells.com/Chri...Interviews.htm
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Tennessee choked away a 21-0 lead vs the Gamecocks.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

FWIW, my nickname as a baby was also beanie, or string bean. They were used interchangeably. Apparently, it had something to with how I looked. But they stopped calling me that when I was about 3 years old.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

INT by OSU makes it 34-10

OSU is very, very good.

FWIW, my nickname as a baby was also beanie, or string bean. They were used interchangeably. Apparently, it had something to with how I looked. But they stopped calling me that when I was about 3 years old.
    Mine was Sparky (there use to be a Sparky the Fire Dog), and my Mom still calls me that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    OSU is very, very good.
    I agree. But I still the masses will toot the "they haven't played anybody" horn. They've pretty much dominated everyone thay've played. And say what you want about Penn State, but it's not easy going into Happy Valley and winning, let alone pretty much having your way with them. This was a dominating performance. And while PSU isn't a great team because of their offense, their defense is really good, and the Buckeye offense ran all over them.

I agree. But I still the masses will toot the "they haven't played anybody" horn. They've pretty much dominated everyone thay've played. And say what you want about Penn State, but it's not easy going into Happy Valley and winning, let alone pretty much having your way with them. This was a dominating performance. And while PSU isn't a great team because of their offense, their defense is really good, and the Buckeye offense ran all over them.
    OSU gets all the right calls from the refs. :

Next up for OSU.... the 7-2 Badgers come to Columbus.

I'd characterize OSU as deceptively good. They aren't flashy, but the similarities to the 2002 team are there. Also, they benefit from a down year in the Big 11. With all sorts of 1- and 2-loss teams out there, if they win out, it's BCS Championship time for the College of Columbus again.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Much like last year, the defense isn't 7 ppg/against good. . . On several occasions this year, they have managed to escape dangerous scoring threats by coming up with a good play at a clutch moment. Happened twice tonight. I imagine that those key plays won't come as easily against a good offense. It's a bend-not-break unit, one that will be exposed sooner or later.

On offense, this team is much better than the 2002 squad. Boeckman still makes a few silly mistakes, but he has nice poise and generally gets the ball to the right guy. He has solid targets all over the field. Beanie Wells is great, although he looks injured every time he gets tackled. Maurice Wells is garbage, I like Saine much better as the second back.

The good news is that this is the type of club that Tressel likes to coach. He loves to run the ball, kick field goals, and win close games. He never quite "got it" the past few years when his offense was loaded with weapons. This team strikes me as a better match between his coaching preferences and the guys he deploys.

Hypothetical question: if OSU loses a game, could they still play for the title? Given the wackiness of 2007, I imagine that they could. Among the one-loss teams, I would say that only LSU and Oregon would have better claims on the title game at this point, and neither of those teams have cakewalks from here on out.

Turn Off Ads?